3 Seconds Counts

Unseen Necessity
Cool breezes swiftly pass through Chanyeol's brown fluffed up hair as his eyes are focused on his phone held within his hands and a side-fringe hovers past his face. He walks towards his next seminar as his fingers move stiffly across his phone due to the frozen cold weather. His fingers feel like ice that's about to break. "Break" as the keyword. 
 
A male teacher walks by, his tie flying in the air hitting his face due to the strong winds. He notices Chanyeol and slightly bows a "good morning" with a warm smile and Chanyeol replies the same. Then Chanyeol looks up to the teacher and rests his view just above his forehead. 
 
Seoul, South Korea
 
Chanyeol continues to smile. Then they both continue on their separate paths and walk. 
 
He huffs into the cold air loudly and a white visible cloud is shown as the result. Chanyeol stuffs his phone back into his back pocket in his low-dark shaded jeans. He pauses for a quick second and pulls out gloves from his navy blue backpack and quickly, yet messily, forces his fingers to fit through the glove and into the finger pockets. Breathing heavily as he does so, adjusts the loose scarf his sister knitted for him last Christmas around his neck, making it tighter, hoping it'll shield the wind from slapping against his long neck. 
 
A female student ran pass him as if she was in a hurry with scrawled loose sheets of paper in her hand and her book bag ped. And because of that, the wind smacked the papers right out of her hand making them fly across the atmosphere. Above Chanyeol's head they went as the two of them watched it happen in slow motion. agape, she rushed back as they hit the floor with a slight breeze trying to lift the papers even further. Chanyeol looked at his watch, considering helping her and making sure he had enough time. And yes, yes he did have enough time before class started. 
 
Quickly, he spun on his heel to go back and help the girl. She collected as many papers as her arms length could extend to. He then squatted towards a further part and collected the papers there. Then he slowly stood up and checked his surroundings to make sure he didn't miss any, and no, no he didn't. 
 
He turned back to the girl who watched him, frozen and jaw hanging as if she saw someone get eaten alive. 
 
"Do I look that hideous?" He asked her curiously raising an eyebrow. She shook her head furiously, objecting his thought. 
 
"N-no... You're just really good looking," she whispered just loud enough for him to hear. Chanyeol took a few moments as they both stood there, and then slightly grinned. 
 
Sunae, South Korea
 
"Thank you," he replied as he handed the papers back to her and waved off as a farewell. Then, he begins to walk forward once again stuffing his hands into his hoodie's pockets, obviously hinting the gloves weren't enough to beat this damn weather. 
 
Walk forward and forget about the negatives, was his motto of the day. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Sitting down in his usual seat for this class was a success. Nobody took his place. Perfect. He unraveled his scarf around his neck and folded it around his hand like he was reeling in a fish and placed it in his backpack on the floor. Hunched over onto the side stuffing his scarf, gloves, and hoodie, under his desk without focusing what's going on with the rest of the class, someone yanked the chair paired up with Chanyeol's, sharing the desk, in a quick movement. 
 
"Yo," Kris quickly said in a lower octave than usual. Chanyeol recognizes the deep voice without even having to glance and throws up a quick wave behind his back as he finishes packing away his winter gear and zips up his bag. Making a "ah" sound, Kris pulls out his phone and unlocks it quickly and rummages through his gallery to find a picture. Once satisfied, he holds it up to Chanyeol's face just as Chanyeol sits back up in his seat from hunching over. 
 
There's a picture of a girl wearing nothing but a sheer thin cloth "covering" her exposed body parts. Chanyeol rolls his eyes, unamused and pushes the phone out of his face. "Cool," Chanyeol lies, voice a little bit deeper than Kris's and without realizing, focuses on the girl's photo. Kris looks up from the picture, a smile still fixed on his face from the picture. 
 
Temecula, California
 
"Don't like that one? Ah, what about her?" He asks Chanyeol as his finger swipes the screen and yet again, another girl appears on the phone wearing nothing but explicit clothing. Again, without trying, Chanyeol stares at the photo for some time.  
 
Busan, South Korea
 
It doesn't even take Chanyeol a full second to realize if he likes it or not and shakes his head. Kris watching his reaction closes his eyes slowly, having no hope for his friend in finding a girlfriend. "Ah, Chanyeol, what am I going to do with you? These are the new kids transferring here from Gangnam."
 
"Cool," Chanyeol repeats having no absolute interests with these new girls. But then a thought comes to mind. "Wait since you're part of the council, shouldn't you be getting appropriate pictures of these people?" He asks Kris, actually focused this time. Kris tilts his head to the side in a "duh" manner. 
 
"Of course. I just did a little more research on them." Chanyeol shakes his head disapproving and slides his hand against his face slowly. Kris shrugs like he could care less and continues to scroll through the few photos he's collected and tilts his chair back with one foot against the desk supporting him as he rocks the chair back and forth. He makes a few grunting noises as some of the pictures really turn him on. Everything is fine until he comes to the last picture. It's not like the other ones because this time it's a boy. 
 
Then he looks at Chanyeol, who seems lost in space, yet seems to actually be thinking. Over thinking to exact. Like always, without giving a damn, he locked his phone. 
 
"California... South Korea," Chanyeol mutters to himself. These were the places Chanyeol read. Then he looks back at Kris, and fixes his eyes onto Kris's forehead. "Yokohama, Japan... No match this time Kris," he whispers too softly. 
 
"Yah, what did you want?" Kris asks, thinking Chanyeol called out his name with that keen ear of his and turns his head, paused from his chair rocking. Chanyeol shakes his head, gesturing nothing. Kris nods slowly and continues to rock in his chair. 
 
"What are these places.." Chanyeol thinks. Yes, he knows where these places are, but he doesn't know why he sees them. Everywhere he looks, he can't control his mind and instantly focuses on everyone he see's forehead. He looks at their foreheads because he can read specific cities in countries. 
 
Krabi, Thailand
Shanghai, China
Yokosuka, Japan
Seoul, South Korea
Orlando, Florida
 
But he doesn't know why they're only visible to his eyes. Why can't others see it too? It's become a natural human trait to Chanyeol now. Ever since he was 7, when his parents divorced, he started to see these green letters on his dad and mom's face. As the days passed by, they became much clearer. 
 
Gyeonggi, South Korea
Hanlim, South Korea
 
What did these places have to do with anything? Then one day his dad revealed he had a girlfriend living in Hanlim and moved in there with her. Even though Chanyeol and his sister pleaded him to stay with them, he shook them off like they were gum stuck on his shoe and left with his belongings and most of the family's deposit money. 
 
He moved to Hanlim, the place that was imprinted like a tattoo onto his forehead that apparently only Chanyeol could see. He asked his sister if she could see it too, but she just looked at him as if he was crazy and assured he was probably just seeing things from the lack of sleep he was getting from the constant yelling coming downstairs from his parents as he tried sleeping. Chanyeol wanted to believe that. He really did. But everything made so much sense with their mother found a new husband 2 years later in Gyeonggi. 
 
 
 
 
"Hey there, my name's Kris and I'll be your tour guide today!" Kris announces to the bunch of newbies at school and cooly walks backwards as the new students follow him. Kris stuffs one of his hands in the pockets of his jeans and continues to speak. "I hope you guys enjoy this place and learn well here," he reads off the back of his other hand, obviously not remembering what he was suppose to say.
 
 All he really wanted to do was walk and show the new girls around. Hey, you can't blame a guy for wanting a couple of girls tied around his finger. Well, if that's what he wanted, then that's what he's getting because apparently all the girls are whispering about how good he looks according to Baekhyun. 
 
Yes, in the exact middle swarm of the new girls, is also a new male student. A short one to be precise. And all he wants to do is get in the little tour train and learn about all of his new surroundings so he doesn't have to go through this again. 
 
In the midst of all the chit chat going on between the girls, he missed what one of the classrooms were that "Kris", the tour guide, just pointed out. 
 
"Uhm... Wait!" Baekhyun yells and raises his hand, making everyone freeze. 
 
"Woah, I didn't even realize he was there!" A girl shouted in a whisper to her friends. 
 
"Aw, he looks like a baby," another cooed to her friends. 
 
Confused by it all, Kris stops walking backwards, and walks into the crowd of girls and stands in front of Baekhyun. 
 
"Wow, didn't even know that you were there, lil guy!" Kris talked to him as if Baekhyun was an actual baby, which he was not! 
 
Turned 18 last month buddy! Baekhyun yelled in his head. "Well, I guess I am," Baekhyun spoke in a well-mannered way. Kris crossed his arms against his chest and nodded his head slowly. 
 
"Yeah, okay, so what did you need?" Kris asked. All the girls nodded along, wondering why they stopped. 
 
"Uhm, well, uh, I didn't hear what class... that was... back there," Baekhyun shyly spoke, feeling like a buzz kill in front of everyone since he made everyone stop. He then pointed backwards at the last classroom and looked back to make sure that was the class he didn't know. 
 
Kris raised his eyebrows in amusement. "Well that's actually the-" he started, explaining what class since the question really didn't bother him, but then, he spotted Chanyeol on the side unlocking his locker. The silence besides a locker slamming shut was dead. Everyone gazed where Kris was staring. Everyone including Baekhyun.
 
But Baekhyun couldn't see pass everyone's heads and missed what they were staring at. 
 
Noticing how quiet things got, Chanyeol ,slowly as ever, turned back to see Kris and a bunch of girls following him. Chanyeol stared at Kris, and then back at the girls, realizing what Kris had done. 
 
 
 
 
"No."
 
"Come on! It's just one person! Besides, it's not a girl it's a guy," Kris tried convincing Chanyeol in front of everyone before Kris could even explain to him. Kris looked back at Baekhyun who stood there confused and fiddled with his backpack straps. He picked Baekhyun out of the crowd and pushed him up against Chanyeol. Baekhyun slightly stammered into Chanyeol's chest and whimpered. Chanyeol groaned at the impact and became furious with Kris. 
 
"I told you no! I'm a busy person, too, okay? You signed up for this job, not me," Chanyeol almost yelled for the whole hallway to hear. Kris just stared at him wide-eyed, and then looked at the hurdle of girls, and then they all took off at once. Chanyeol scrunched his face in anger. "Damn it, Wu Yifan."
 
Baekhyun, still in Chanyeol's chest, immediately moved back and looked at Chanyeol, who was still focused on the disappearance of the tour group with an unamused face. Then Chanyeol finally turned to meet Baekhyun's face.
 
 
 
 
3
 
I guess every day we meet new faces. People we're not familiar with, yet we have somehow crossed each other's paths. We're all connected some way. 
 
2
 
I guess every once in awhile we meet new extraordinary people. Those we've never connected with. Those who we find different. "Unique" would be better to use. We're all unique some way.
 
1
 
I guess it takes 3 seconds for Chanyeol to realize he's found a unique person because this specific person has Manhattan, New York written on his forehead.