9-

How to Exact Revenge in Slow and Subtle Ways

Sooyoung-

 

“Nrghhh,” I groan intelligently as I awake. Man, I feel like crap. I sit up in bed and cringe as I realize that the pearls I had forgotten to take off last night are tangled in my hair. Plus, I’m still in the dress which by now is wrinkled beyond recognition. And judging by the hairy taste in my mouth I hadn’t brushed my teeth before sleeping.
“Oh!” I stretch my arms above my head and hear the various joints in my shoulders pop satisfyingly. I catch a glance of myself in the mirror on the other wall and cringe again. Not only do I feel like crap, I look like crap. How had I even gotten to bed? I contemplate this as I disentangle my hair from the necklace and wipe the crumbies from my eyes.

My eyes dart to the digital clock on my table. 12:30. ! I have work today! I jump out of bed, and dash madly into the hallway.
“Oof!” I grunt as I bump into something. Or someone. I open my eyes and see... Changmin’s chest.

“Oh my god!” I gasp and step back, forcing my eyes from his very nice and toned chest.
“Oh you’re awake.” He said, shifting from one foot to the other.
“Yeah...” I trail off letting my gaze drop to his pecs again. “I mean...yes! And why the hell are you standing half in the hallway!? Do you not know you are living (quite pathetically) with two girls? Are you insane?” I put my fists on my hips, making sure I don’t blow my stinky breath into his face.
“Psh like you’re not enjoying the view.” He smirks.
“Why you--!”
“Ah!” Changmin groans putting a hand on his lower back. “Man I think I threw my back out of line when I had to carry your fat to the apartment last night.”
I gasp. “That was you!?” My eyes widen, “Why would you do that? Did you take advantage of me?” I narrow my eyes at him though not with much conviction because I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t do that.
He rolls his eyes. “I did that because you fell asleep and wouldn’t wake up.”
I start to panic. I don’t like to broadcast it but I’m not the most graceful sleeper. There’s usually drool and snoring and other unlady like things involved. Not that I care much for what Changmin thinks or how he sees me. But I do have my pride after all! And...I tend to act really ditzy when I’m half asleep.
What’s that? My eyes zero in on a red mark on Changmin’s lower arm.
“Um...” I montion towards it.
“Oh this,” He says smugly holding it up and, I gulp, it’s a bite mark. “Yes Soo-baby. This is the imprint of your teeth.” He runs his fingers on it. “Ah still hurts.”
“I...didn’t really do that right?”
“You don’t remember?”
But I did. The memories hit me like a truck. Changmin had tried to leave after dropping me on the bed, only to have me stop him from leaving by grabbing his arm. And when that didn’t work...I bit him. Hard.

“A-ha so you do remember? ‘Changyy don’t leave! Noooo! Come back!!’ and then...” He bites his teeth hard.
My face turns red and I rub my eyes. “I...must’ve been crazy. Anyways...why are ?” I say diverting the conversation from my embarrassing

“Oh.” He rubs the back of his neck. “I don’t have any more clean shirts left...”
I sigh. “I’ll show you how to do the laundry.” Previously I had been the one doing his laundry. “As for now...I think Yonghwa must’ve left some of shirts here. Why don’t you ask Seohyun.”
He grins, nods his head and turns to the living room.
I smack my forehead, still very much embarrassed, and duck into the bathroom.


---


“Someones asking for you.” Soo Ki, my high school co-worker, says, popping into the kitchen.
“For me?” I ask, pointing at myself.
She nods and pops her gum in my face. “Some tall, handsome guy. Looks kind of famous.” She pauses. “Not that I would know. I don’t like mainstream stuff.” She states before turning away.
I roll my eyes, Soo Ki feels the need to remind us every so often that she doesn’t listen to mainstream music. She’s all into the underground stuff. Blah blah blah.
“Go!” Charlie laughs shooing me out of the kitchen. “You can’t keep the tall, handsome celebrity waiting!”
“Okay okay!” I wipe my hands on my apron and step out of the kitchen. Who was it? Kyuhyun? Changmin?

“Noona!”
Yonghwa?” Well that’s unexpected.
“Noona! Can you take a break? Please?” He pleads, pushing his bottom lip out and widening his eyes. “Please?”
“Oh well. I guess I can take a break now.” I untie my apron and take a seat across from him just as Soo Ki comes with two plates of fries and burgers and two sodas.
I eye the two plates. “You knew I was going to take a break with you?” I laugh and squirt ketchup over my fries.
“Yup! No one can resist my puppy dog eyes...except for Seohyun.” His happy voice suddenly becomes downtrodden.
“Is she mad?”
“Very!” He says around a mouthful of burger. “She won’t answer my texts, pick up my calls. I feel terrible!” He slurps his soda.
That’s why I like Yonghwa, we’re so alike. We eat alot. And then stressful situations make us eat even more.

“Aw Yong, she’s just kind of pissed you couldn’t make it to the dinner. Considering she did tell you about it a while ago...and Victoria unnie didn’t really make her feel better.”
“Urgh!” He holds his face in his hand. “Aw was Victoria noona mad. I really wanted to go but I had work and I can’t--”
I hold up my hand. “I think Seohyun can understand that. She is, after all, in the same line of business.” I munch thoughtfully on a fry. “But maybe she thinks you’re pushing her aside?”
“But I really do love her!” He says looking down at his hands.
“When was the last time you told her?” I suddenly felt kind of ridiculous, like I was some sort of love-doctor. “Here’s what you do. Take her on a nice romantic date. Answer no calls from work, tell her you love her, blah blah. It should work. Seohyun likes sappy things like that.”
“That should work!” He grins. “Thanks noona! You’re so smart! I wonder why you’re still single.” He stops ubruptly. “Oh I forgot about Changmin hyung.” He winks at me. “You guys do look nice together.”
I nearly spit out my soda. “Ch-Changmin? Why do you think we’re...a thing?”
“Him and Seo told me. That’s why he’s staying with you right?” He wiggles his eyebrows, “He make’s your heart race, your stomach flip, your hands sweat and all that jazz.” Yonghwa laughs loudly while stuffing a handful of fries in his mouth.

I freeze. All those things he’s just listed are actually kind of true. Changmin does have some weird effect on me...does that mean I like him?

He is a huge jerk. But he’s also kind of funny and can be thoughtful. He did carry me all the way upstairs yesterday! And he was unfairly beautiful.
 
I shake my head and slurp the last of my soda. Half of the Korean population has a crush on him. Hell even I did before I started working for him. Even if I did like him, which I totally don’t, it wouldn’t be so bad. He already thinks I like him anyways.

---

“NO! Don’t do it!” I scream, covering my face with my hands.
I am watching a scary movie. I never had much tolerance for them though, the people were always idiotic and made dumb choices but this movie, Cello, had been the best looking movie at the rental store.
The lady on screen lets out a blood-curdling scream. The effect of which is ruined by Changmin’s vacuuming.

I pause the video and take a while to observe him. His sleeves are rolled up, showing off his toned forearms. His hair has grown longer and wavier. He looks overall more comftorable than he ever did as a popstar. Gone is the meticulously styled hair and the painful skin tight jeans. He’s even wearing my apron, which is too small to tie around his (very toned) abdomen so is hanging limply from his neck.
I gulp and play with the pillow on my lap. He has been acting differently, I’ve been noticing ever since I came back after that conversation with Yonghwa. He’s been less snarky and arrogant and now he’s even doing work without me asking.
“Changmin!” He shuts the vacuum and turns to me. “Come sit down,” I pat the couch next to me. He gives me a look.
“Are you sure? Isn’t this violating some slave-master rule?”
I roll my eyes, “Fine if you don’t want to you can go wash the dis-”
“No! It’s good!” He plops down next to me after shutting the lights, giving the room a theater feel.

“AH!” We both scream and clutch eachother.
“Did you see that?” He screams.
“YES! Holy !” I scream back.
Finally the scary scene ends and we notice our awkward position.
“hehe” He grins sheepishly and moves away.
“Want something to eat?” I stand up. He nods and I walk to the kitchen. Once I’m there I clutch my heart which has just started beating really fast.
“Oh no no no,” I really don’t want to be in love with Changmin. How cliche! I smack my face a couple of times and grabbed a packet of microwavable popcorn.
Pop! Pop! Pop!
I brought the popcorn back to the sofa and sat shoulder to shoulder with Changmin, the bowl in between us. Its actually quite cozy though it takes some effort to focus on the tv and not on our close proximity.

“Wow,” Seohyun says walking into the apartment. “Now don’t you two look cute.”
I startle awake and realize I was sleeping on Changmin, he was leaning on the sofa and I was leaning on him. I feel my cheeks heat up and jump away quickly.
“What, the movies done?” I say glancing at the dark screen.
He nods, “It’s been done.”

“Oh no!” Seohyun screams from the kitchen.
“What!?” Changmin and I both say running in after her.
“There’s no more milk!” She sobs.
“Um...” I scratch my head. “Seo, chill, it’s just milk.”
“No!” She wipes a stray tear. “No milk means no milk in the tea, no milk in the cereal, no oatmeal, no hot chocolate! Why is everything screwing up for me? What do we eat with the cookies?” She says hysterically. Me and Changmin take a step back from her. “Why does the world hate me!” She cries running into her room.

“Oh....kay,” Chanmin says breaking the awkward silence.
“Aw, poor Seo. She’s been having a hard time, what with work and Yonghwa...and now theres no milk!” I laugh and walk back into the living room. “And she has a tendency to overreact like Victoria Unnie.”
“Wanna go?” Chanmin asks, nodding his head toward the door.
“Go where?”
“Go get milk.”
“Oh,” I trail off. “Sure, we can walk. The store’s not too far from here.”

Once we reach the grocery store we’re both shivering like crazy.
“Ah, when did it get so cold?” Changmin hugs his shoulders. It is much warmer inside the store, it’s also eerily quiet.
“Is there no one else here?” Changmin asks peering around the store.
“Well it is 10:00 at night.” I say heading to the refigerator section. “Not many people go dairy shopping at this hour.”
After picking a gallon of milk and some sweet potatoes to make fries with we headed to the register.
“I’ll pay” Changmin surprises me and reaches for his wallet.
My eyes widen. What the hell? Maybe I was on one of those hidden camera shows like Candid Camera or Punk’d. Except instead of the celebrity being the one pranked they were pranking the unsuspecting ex-personal assistant.
“No, it’s fine. It’s not like you have any money anyways.” I say, pushing the bills toward the cashier.
The guy smiles and takes the money. “Here’s your change, it’s a bit late to be buying milk isn’t it?” He asks, leaning forward and smirking at me.
I blush red, although he looks younger he’s very appealing. I glance at his nametag, Kim Jonghyun.
“Yeah...” I trail off, I never know what to say in these kinds of situations.
“So what’s your name? I’m Kim Jonghyun.” He completely ignores Changmin.
“My nam--”
“We should be going.” Changmin says abruptly, steering me by the shoulders. I turn back to see his face which is hard and angry looking.

“What’s with you?” I ask stepping away from him. He shrugs and stuffs his hands in his pockets.
I roll my eyes, people say women were moody and unpredictable? They needed to meet Changmin.

“That’s heavy.” He says taking the grocery bag from my hands leaving me blinking in surprise. Seriously what was with him? Since when had he become so thoughtful and...nice?

We walk back slowly in the cold, our breath fogging up before us.
“Sooyoung!” Changmin exclaims.
“What?”
“It’s snowing!” And so it was, little flakes fall from the sky and begin to dust the ground.
“You know what they say,” Changmin throws a grin at me, “If you see the first winter snow with someone you’re destined to be together.” We both freeze after he says that. And I feel my cheeks heat up despite the cold.
“Ha, you look like you have dandruff,” Changmin smiles breaking the awkward tension. and wipes the flakes from my hair and shoulders.
“Look at yourself!” I laugh wiping the snow off from his shoulders and hair with both hands.
“Whoa your hands are cold.” He says as my fingers accidentally brush his forehead. He grabs my hands brings them close to his face and breaths his warm breath on them.

And just like that my heart starts racing, my stomach starts flipping, my hands start sweating.
 
Oh no.
 
AN:  man what a dumb chappy. T_T sorry! But anyways! Happy Holidays, whatever you may or may not be celebrating. :) I was thinking of a cameo next chapter. (There was already a Jonghyun one today. hehe) It's probably going to be BoA but if you guys have any suggestions feel free to suggest them. hehhe subscribe and comment! <3