-

Rainshowers

 

Mornings suddenly became lonelier in the house. Mom followed Dad in Japan, she said some business required her presence, and there’s no certainty as to when they are going back home. Myungsoo, on the other hand, refrained from joining me during meal since the day Soohyun came for a visit. I’m not sure, but I think the gap between us widened further.

 

What’s weirder is that I can’t even understand myself why it feels so frustrating that he’s not picking on me anymore. Previously, Myungsoo would either call me names such as stupid, boring, or even ahjumma. Sometimes, he’ll blast off the stereo in his room so loud or whatever movie he is watching. There were also the random phone calls pretending he’s this or that and he would knock on my door but when I open it, no one’s outside or he’ll do something to scare me. Is he finally reaching the phase of maturity? Good for him if he did.

 

I came to school one time and happened to pass by his department. Myungsoo’s majoring in Business Administration, I’m assuming it’s his parents’ wish so that he can help with their business. Soohyun did the same too, anyway, but his case was different, he didn’t feel burdened, he really wanted to help.

 

A group of girls surrounded him and since it looks like he’s enjoying the attention, I decided to ignore him and just walk away. That’s what I would normally do, anyway.

 

However, their conversation didn’t go past my hearing. “What do you like in girls, L?” L? Since when is he L?

 

Myungsoo laughed at the question but still answered them. I didn’t know why but I actually wanted to hear it too. “My knees would normally go weak on hot and y girls. I like it too when they become feisty. You know, I just hate the boring and timid ones. Seriously, they don’t look feminine to me at all.”

 

They laughed in unison while my pace fastened. I know very well that it was me he’s talking about. As if I care with whatever he likes in girls. Myungsoo’s a douchebag, he doesn’t deserve my attention.

 

Classes ended early and I agreed to have a small snack with the girls in a nearby coffee shop. We were having a good conversation when my phone rang. It was Soohyun. In a matter of a few seconds, my heart won’t just stop beating fast and I can’t help but smile even if the other three are talking about their previous heart breaks.

 

“Hey,” I started, my cheeks starting to heat up. Sulli, who sat beside me, noticed it first and told the other two. I froze in my chair as they started teasing me. It feels like I’m going to explode. I’ve never answered a call before when I’m with them, except Mom’s or Dad’s.

 

Soohyun called my name twice before I spoke again, maybe he thought I hung up since I stopped talking.

 

“Where are you exactly right now?”

 

I stammered and looked around for the shop’s name, “White Cup Café with my friends.  Why?”

 

I heard him chuckle on the next line. “I’m just curious. I’ll hang up now.” 

 

After five minutes, the three girls stopped in the middle of their conversation, eyes popped wide, and mouths literally gaped open, except for Jiyeon. Soohyun was standing behind, in his flawless clothes and charming smile, like a model freshly pulled from a magazine page. Such a perfect creature.

 

The few other customers inside started noticing him too.

 

Kim Soohyun, Myungsoo’s older brother, besides from recently graduating in one of the biggest universities in the United States of America, also works as an advertisement model in a famous designer clothing line. He’s a very private person despite his now growing fame, that’s why I hid the fact that I know him from my friends. It’s not because I’m selfish, I just didn’t want to have any reason connected to me to bug him up.

 

“Jiyeon-ah?” He started, a hint of surprise obvious in his tone.

 

Jiyeon bowed at him and smiled. Tension started to envelope us. How did they know each other? What is Soohyun doing here? How am I going to explain to them that we know each other?

 

Then he turned to me, I flushed crimson red when he came closer to place a hand on my hair, lightly ruffling it. “Did I surprise you?” All eyes were on me and I didn’t know what to do.

 

I gave him a light nod. “What are you doing here?”

 

“To visit you, what else? I assumed your classes have ended since you’re in a coffee shop.” Soohyun smiled again and removed his dark sunglasses, revealing the pretty face underneath. Sulli started squirming in her seat.

 

“Oh my gosh, it’s Kim Soohyun. Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh, Kim Soohyun is in front of me,” I heard her repeat like some kind of chant.

 

“Of course. Anyway, these are my friends. Sulli, Jieun unnie, and I think you already know each other, Jiyeon unnie.” I gestured to each of them as I introduced their names. “Girls, this is Soohyun.”

 

They bowed at each other and I pulled a chair for him. “Would you want to join us?”

 

He scratched the back of his head and chuckled cutely. “Actually girls, I was going to ask permission if you can let me borrow Suzy for the mean time. You see, I came all the way from Seoul, so I don’t have much time.”

 

All of them approved, of course they will, just add the crazy squealing and too obvious happiness in their faces.

 

Soohyun led me to his car and as soon I reached the passenger seat, text messages flooded my phone.

 

Sulli: [I am your best friend! How dare you lie to me? Kekeke. Anyway, enjoy your date with him, even if I’m jealous because you know Soohyun’s my number one oppa. You’re such a lucky girl, but he’s luckier to have you. Good luck~ <3]

 

Jieun: [Oh my gosh, Suzy! Are you dating THE Kim Soohyun? Unnie’s mad because you didn’t tell her. Kekeke. I’m just kidding! Have fun :3]

 

Jiyeon: [We’re so happy for you, snowflake. I hope you two have a good time together. Tell us the bits asap! Hwaiting~ *u*]

 

Their messages were so funny that all I can do is send them the same reply: [We are not dating. Stop being so delusional. Soohyun and I are not even close friends.

 

p.s. Sorry I had to leave first.]

 

Soohyun was driving around the block when he started talking again. My cheeks haven’t been revived yet. “I made quite a scene, didn’t I?”

 

I glanced at him and nodded, “I think almost everyone inside recognized you. What if someone uploads the pictures and makes a rumor about you?”

 

“You mean, a rumor about ‘us’? I don’t care, besides I’m really snatching you out for a date.” He looked back at me and winked playfully.

“You’re funny. Why don’t be a clown instead?” I said, rolling my eyes at him even if my insides are practically screaming and partying.

 

He laughed but didn’t say anything back. I supposed he’s just kidding around. That’s so like him, a man full of humor.

 

How I wish he wasn’t.

 

                                                                                                            ***

Soohyun sent me home around eight in the evening. If today would be considered a date, then I’ll treasure it very well since it’s my first. Unfortunately, it’s not. However, we went to see a horror movie and instead of peeking behind our fingers like other people were doing, we were both laughing so hard because it’s not scary at all. We ate corndogs and pretzels after, then we played in the arcade. I learned that he’s also good in basketball shooting and car racing. We had dinner together. I never thought japchae would taste that good.

 

Then, he walked me home, a cone of ice cream in our hands as he told me random stories about his escapades in college. I wasn’t wrong, he’s too perfect to be real.

 

“Thank you, Suzy. I had a wonderful time with you.”

 

Soohyun stood in front of me, hands buried in his pockets. I blinked twice to make sure today is not a dream, besides his smile was so captivating, I thought he’s casting a spell on me.

“I had fun too,” I said in return, smiling back at him. “Thanks.”

 

He finally bid goodbye and I watched him turn his back and walk towards his car, but he was just a few steps away when he turned around and straddled towards me. Before I can even react, I felt something landed on my cheek...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

his lips.

 

Soohyun kissed me. He really did kiss me. “Sleep well, strawberry.”

 

If he didn’t put me inside a trance, I would’ve normally laughed loud at his old school term of endearment but I simply can’t. His black car soon vanished and I had to drag myself inside the house.

 

As I got past the door, I literally slapped myself. There should be some kind of mistake in this too beautiful dream, I need to wake up now. But my cheek stung, so it only means I’m already awake.

 

I headed to my room in the second floor, my whole body felt light, like I’m floating in the air. I can’t remember what happened next, some huge frame hit me, but all I know is that I saw Myungsoo’s face. He must have caught me when I fell.

 

Myungsoo had that same expression in his face, exasperated yet concerned. He helped me get up and I blurted a ‘Annyeong, Myungsoo-ah” out of the blue. I probably looked drunk at that time.

 

I ignored him and flew off from his arms as fast as I can, reached for the knob and closed the door behind me, the trace of Soohyun’s lips still lingering on my cheek.

 

I rested my back on the wooden door, my right ear slightly leaned sideward. Now, I’m not pretty sure of what he said since I’m still in the high but I know that it’s Myungsoo’s voice. “You really like him, don’t you?” He clicked his tongue and cursed, “Damn lucky bastard.” Then, he walked away.

 

And now, he just confused me all the more.