-

Rainshowers

 

The small rain drops tinkered against my face as I looked up at the cloudy gray sky and welcomed them with open arms. No, I don’t play in the rain like other people do because I think it’s stupid. I just like staying under the rain like that, getting my clothes and hair all soaked up. I like staying under the rain because…

 

 

... it’s the only time no one can see me cry.

 

                                                                                                ***

“Suzy, how many times do I have to remind you to always bring an umbrella? Look at you, you’re all wet again.” Mom rushed over me as soon as I appeared from the doorstep, a large towel already waiting in her hands. I took it and wrapped it around my shoulders, my hair was still dripping.

 

“Thanks, Mom.” I mumbled, lightly kissing her cheek as I headed upstairs to my room as if I didn't hear anything. Who cares if I get sick anyway, I didn't have a family to start in the first place.

 

My real name is Bae Su Ji, but I refused using that from the time I learned I was adopted. I was seven back then, the first time I went to Seoul. I opted for Suzy because it's the name my neighbor used for her cat which she soon abandoned when she got engaged and had to move to another town. I don’t even know what my real surname was, if it was a Choi, a Lee, a Park or probably a Kim. It’s just a waste of time actually, if you ask me, that’s why I did not even bother to find my true identity, or if I ever really had one. My whole life was already a constant full of lies, what can another possible revelation do?

 

 

The night went on like any other night did. Mom called me down for dinner, I went back to my room after to read the messy notes I jotted in my Literature class, and then I washed myself and brushed my teeth before going to bed. My life is a boring piece of puzzle, but I like it that way. I am not the adventurous, spontaneous, and carefree girl-next-door. I am the plain, old Suzy, a girl who goes to the university during the day and stays at home during the night.

 

Everything passes by smoothly except Special Sundays. These are the days I dreaded the most because I am forced to act nice and woman-like. They don’t force me, I force myself. A small token of gratitude for giving me the luxuries I am experiencing right now. Of course, I intend to repay their generosity in my own ways. We will travel to Seoul in the morning and spend the night with the Kims, my adoptive parents’ long-time friends and business partners. They’re really kind and friendly, but there’s this just one reason why I never liked visiting them, the youngest son: Kim Myungsoo.

 

“Oh dear, look at you, all-grown up now!” Mrs. Kim lightly squealed at the sight of me, while I smiled awkwardly and tried to hide behind my parents’ back.

 

Mr. Kim, my Dad’s best friend, joined the small commotion and led us to the living room, smiling kindly at me too, which I returned with a rather polite bow. “Such a beauty she turned into, I bet our Myungsoo would definitely get mesmerized.”

 

Yes, I know he gets mesmerized, because every time that douchebag is around, all he thinks about are the ways of how to make fun of me.

 

The elders’ talk got deeper and I had to excuse myself for some fresh air or else I am going to explode in the midst of entrepreneurial issues I never grew fond of.

 

“You’re here.”

 

I turned around and saw a familiar tall figure, a very familiar one to be honest, since the group of friends I managed to keep (I only have three friends, don’t ask why) stalks him in the Internet. He’s quite popular, I must say. And even if I know that friends should not be keeping secrets from each other, I am also well-aware that they can use my connection to his family as a source of their interest.

 

“Soohyun,” I muttered, audible enough for him to hear. Unlike he’s annoying brother, Soohyun is kind and charming. I perfectly understand why girls tend to fall for him, he’s a big catch, like what Sulli always says.

 

He walked towards me and stopped a few inches away. I watched him as he crossed his arms and gazed at the scenery laid in front of us, it’s breathtaking. Soohyun glanced down at me and I looked away, mentally cursing at myself for getting caught, but he just laughed. “Aigoo. You are too cute for my brother, Suzy. You two are like opposite poles.”

 

I didn’t respond and continued to stare outside. Two things got me embarrassed today: Getting caught staring, and being called cute.

 

“How’s school?” He asked after a few minutes of silence.

 

“It’s fine. I mean, college is supposed to be fun and enjoying,” I faked a smile, my fingers clutching inside the pocket of my blue Sunday dress.

 

Soohyun laughed louder, in which I got confused. I looked up at him while he reached down to lightly ruffle my thick bangs which covered my forehead. “Little liar.”

 

“What ar---”

 

“Wow. The geek’s back.” There is no need for me to look back, I already know that voice, that same irritating voice my ears had to deal with for more than a decade. That one from the devil.

 

Let me introduce to you: here comes trouble.