Ch 6: Exceptions

A Touch of FeiT
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
 Chapter Six  Exceptions 

As soon as the light came on, Seunghyun turned and narrowed his eyes at the confused looking Fei. 

“The light was just... turned off?”  She asked, and he gave her a shrug.

“It was a lucky guess," he simply said.  

Fei didn’t know whether to be angry that he obviously tricked her by leaving the light off, when she was clearly scared, or just be glad that the light was back on; the latter quickly won.  Mainly due to her fear of the light going off again, so she didn’t say more on the topic of the light. 

Instead, she directed her attention to his leg to check if she had wrapped his ankle properly.  She smiled when she saw that despite the darkness, she seemed to have done a good job; although, now that she was looking at him he was standing on that leg just fine.

“It’s probably not good to put weight on that leg," she reminded him and he gave her another uncaring shrug. 

“I’m not gay," he clarified as he moved back toward her.  “So get that out of your head.” 

Fei gave him a little shrug of her own.  She’d let him think that if it made him happy, but the truth is a few things made sense about him now that she knows he’s gay; like how he never showed any interest in a girl during the times they ran into one another; whether it was during promotions, end-of-year events, award shows, promotional shows, parks, restaurants, karaoke bars, etc.  There were no whispered rumors about him when it came to dating either. 

He never paid any particular girl-- that she knew of-- any special attention.  That might seem narrowminded of her, but  her experience in the music industry taught her that the majority of the male idols almost always betrayed themselves one-way-or-another behind the scene.  She'd never heard any rumors about TOP.  Him being gay sort of made sense.  His behind-the-scene reputation rivaled Taeyang's and that was sort of difficult to do; TY was practically a saint where girls were concerned.

A preference for dating a non-celeb would also explained the way TOP acts as well, and it was what she had assumed prior to his revelation earlier.    

She walked over and plopped down in front of the door.  She no longer felt nervous about being alone with him, and although she still questioned why he kissed her twice she figured that it had to do with his seemingly playful nature.  She may not know much about TOP’s personal life, but what she knew of his personality during their odd meetings throughout the years is that he had a playful side. 

It used to make her nervous, because she didn’t know his intention behind his playful words and teasing.  If she was going to be honest with herself, she’d admit that a small part of her used to wonder if maybe he liked her a little.  That contributed to the awkward way she used to feel around him.  Now it’s different. 

Now, she believes he acted the way he did around her becausethere was no weird attraction to hinder his actions; he didn't have to worry about being misunderstood, unlike her.  It used to bother her because he didn’t seem friendly with other girls who were not YG artists, hence why she had entertained the thought he liked her a little.  Now, she realized how ridiculous she was for ever having thought that.      

“Were you ever in love?”  She asked after a while of silence.

“Yes," he answered as he sat down beside her.  “Have you?”

“Yes," she answered with a nod. 

“Was he one of your ex-losers?”  He jested, and she smiled at him.

“They were nice guys.  Most of the time it was my fault," she defended.

“Even the bastard that just dumped you?”  He asked as he cocked his head. 

“He’s a nice guy, and he’s never been bad to me before today.”  

“Of course, aside from that whole kissing another girl during your 100th day anniversary thing," he mocked and she turned away from him. 

“Nice people sometime do stupid things," she reasoned before changing the topic.  She might have been dumped, but she didn’t like talking about her exes with others.  It felt like she was violating their relationship’s privacy, and it was tasteless to do so.  “To answer your previous question, I don’t think I’ve ever been in love with any of my ex-boyfriends.  At least, not in the same sense that others describe being in love.”   

“Then who were you in love with?”  He curiously asked.

“Just a regular guy,” she answered with a smile, “a childhood friend.” 

“Was it the loser that stood you up at the park?”  TOP asked, and she struggled not to show her displeasure on her face.

“He didn’t stand me up and it wasn’t like that," she defended as she ignored the amused look on his face.  “How about you?”

“I told you I was in love before.”

“Was he nice?”  She asked as she watched his face.

“Yah!  I’m not gay!  There was one confusing experience once, but it turned out okay so I’m definitely not gay.” 

“A confusing experience?”  Fei asked and he surprised her by chuckling. 

“One day, I’ll tell you about it.”  He said with a little secretive smile that caused Fei to frown.  Why did he look like he was hiding something amusing from her?  What does she have to do with him being gay?  “Anyway, I’ve been in love once before, truly in love.”

“Tell me about it,” Fei said as she gave him herundivided attention; she loved listening to love stories.  It always made her giddy to hear others experiences with love. 

Seunghyun watched the interest in her eyes for a few minutes before he spoke.  “The first girl I was ever truly in love with was older than me by a few years, and she was nice.”  He sighed when Fei nodded her head as if she was silently egging him to go on.  “That’s all.”

“What type of person were they?”  Fei asked and he sighed once again at the gender neutral way she chose to phrase her question.

“She was very mature and patient with me,” he said with a smile. 

“They sound nice.”  

He gave her an annoyed smile.  “She is nice," he stressed again and she nodded.

“Is that your type of girl?  Nice, mature, and patient?” 

He shrugged before he said, “It’s difficult to say, because the second girl that truly got my interest seems nice, but has a terrible temper and can hold a grudge like no other.”

“She sounds... interesting.”  Fei said and he chuckled.

“Yes, she is but everyone has an exception to what they like.”  He added and Fei nodded as she smiled.  “Is the jerk from the park your exception?”  He asked and she frowned at him. 

“He’s not a jerk and yes, he’s very childish and is my exception.”   

“Why are you dating some other guy while you’re in love with him?” 

“It’s... complicated and I’m not in love with him anymore," she quietly confided. 

“Why is that?”  He asked as he watched her face closely.

She laughed nervously before she spoke, “I’ve... confessed to him and he was not interested, so I learn to get over it.” 

“He sounds like a Class-A jerk," he informed her,  and she sighed before she turned the topic back to him.  She didn’t care for anyone talking badly about her childhood friend.  The only person that’s allowed to call him a jerk is her. 

“How about you?  Are you currently with your... love?”  She asked.

“I’m not gay.”  He said once again.  “And no I’m not with her but we’re friends.”

“When was the last time you talked to her?”

“A few months ago.”

“How about the second girl that grabbed your attention?”

“Earlier today before the concert.  She wished me luck.” 

“You two seem very close.”  Fei watched the way he smiled, as if he was somewhere else mentally, and her heart went out to him, because she had no room to complain about her relationship when he’s struggling.   

Same gender relationships were always difficult, especially in the position he was in, being a rapper.  It’d be the end of his career if anyone found out.  She couldn’t help herself, so she reached out and laid her hand on his shoulder; her way of showing support to him. 

At the feel of her hand on his arm, Seunghyun looked up and met her eyes and he frowned in annoyance.  There were tears swimming in her brown eyes; she looked like her heart was breaking.

“Damn it Fei, I’m not gay!”  She nodded her head in understanding as she gave his arm a little sympathy squeeze.  “You’re as frustrating as my mom.” 

“Why didn’t your first relationship work?”  She asked. 

“That’s rather personal.”  He said simply, and he could tell that she about to apologize so he held up his hand to stop her.  “It just didn’t work out.” 

“I see.”  She said as she watched him.  She was surprised by the sadness that she saw in his eyes, at the mere mention of his first relationship.  “I’m sorry for bringing you down.  It was not intentional.”

Seunghyun watched her for a few minutes in silence, and was rather glad that she held their eye contact instead of looking away shyly like she usually did.  “She was also just a regular girl.”  He added and Fei smiled at him. 

“It’s difficult," she sympathized and he nodded in understanding.  “There are certain things that only others in our line of works know, so there is a certain level of understanding that comes with being with another idol.”  Seunghyun found himself nodding again.  “It can be very difficult on the non-celeb to see their boyfriend or girlfriend being surrounded by members of the opposite .  I imagined it'd be heartbreaking to hear ‘I love you’ while they’re alone, but hear him constantly deny the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter