Chapter 5

Once Upon A Heartbreak

05: 

 

 

“This is getting ridiculous.” Someone said.

 

“Both of you are idiots. Fix this please.” Another opinion.

 

And that was how we got ourselves in this situation. It was Joonmyun’s idea. He used his ‘I-don’t-like-clubs-and-yet-I’m-making-an-exceptione-because-I-want-you-two-to-talk-this-out’ card and I couldn’t say no to him when he was looking at me like a wounded puppy. (Unlike Baekhyun’s, his actually works)

 

“What happened between the two of you?” Baekhyun asked with his hands under his chin. He looked at me under his lashes and tried to read the expression on my face. He was left with nothing. Fishing no reaction from me, he turned to Chanyeol and asked the same question with the same gesture. It was clearly funny how Baekhyun conducted his interviews and the rest was amused at him. They were staring at the three of us with interest as well.

 

Chanyeol remained silence and this agitated me. I tried to get up but Jongin took my hand and made me sit back down. My sigh was audible through the blazing speakers inside the club. We were at a booked room so it was fortunately much quieter in it. But I hate clubs, it made me think of the day Chanyeol broke up with me. It made me think of the consequences it left me. And right now, this ‘intervention’ was not working at all.

 

“I know that we can’t turn back the time,” Joonmyun started, “But seeing the two of you drifting away from us, it’s starting to make us worried. Soo Ae stops having lunch and spend time with us and Chanyeol, well Chanyeol just seems different lately.”

 

“And he’s doing even worse in his class.” Baekhyun butted in. “And he writes crappy lyrics too.” He blinked at me, as if I was the one who was responsible for all of that. I looked away from Baekhyun and took a look at my ex-boyfriend, scanning any difference on his features. He looked the same—but I guess everyone has different words to say. It’s true that people still see Chanyeol as he used to be.

 

“Who asks for the breakup?” Sehun stepped up to interrogate us. I chugged down the drink in front of me and leaned back against my seat. The others shared a look and came up with a telepathically-based theory. “Was it Chanyeol hyung then?”

 

“Why?” It was Kyungsoo now, eyes judging Chanyeol’s choice. “Why did you ask for a breakup, Chanyeol?”

 

Chanyeol has always whimpered at Kyungsoo’s slight motions. They were even better friends than Chanyeol and I used to be. The tall one has a mountain of respect for Kyungsoo and they could basically pass as soulmates. They’re partners and write music together so they spend plenty of time together. Somehow, I used to spend a lot time with Kyungsoo too because Chanyeol and I used to be together everywhere.

 

I wanted to believe that Kyungsoo was somehow on my side.

 

Chanyeol replied nothing though. He shrugged, gulped his drink down in one shot and mentioned something about going to the restroom. I took a deep breath and scoffed—since when did everything Chanyeol does annoy me? 

 

“And you still think I cheated on him?” I asked them after he left. I was just so mad and I wanted to go home and crawl under my blanket forever so I got up from my seat. Jongin pulled me back down again. His action was starting to get under my skin and I actually whined, “What is wrong with you?”

 

“You still like him, don’t you?” Jongin asked, “I could see it in your eyes, Soo Ae. Chanyeol hyung is a bit stressed lately because of school and everything. Don’t push him too much. You once cared about him, Soo Ae. He’s a human and he makes mistakes—”

 

“Tell him that.” I spat back. “You tell him that. I make mistakes too but Chanyeol shut me completely out of his life. He didn’t listen to me, nor did he try to hear my explanation. While I was gone, did anyone try to look for me? I cared for him, yes I do and in fact, I still do care about him. But did he ever once think of me? Did he ever try to talk things out with me?”

 

I paused and looked at his friends. “Chanyeol said that he has no feelings for me. It’s over between us. I wanted to understand him, I tried to and I get it. I’m trying to figure out what I’ve done so wrong that he dismisses me like that. I wanted to stay but he didn’t want me to. He didn’t even try to. And he took that all against me.” I took another deep breath. I could see Chanyeol stopping by the dance floor and he didn’t even look sorry.

 

“I don’t know what happened either,” I started again, “Maybe it’s just me, but it’s like I don’t know him anymore. If you guys can, you go and talk to Chanyeol. I don’t want to receive any false hopes anymore. We are not going to get back together.”

 

With that, I left. And before I could hear any more from them, I pushed myself out of the club.

 

It was 30 minutes later that I found the courage to laugh at myself. Luckily I had my waterproof mascara on, or else, I’d turn into a panda. I was hoping that any one of the boys would come out or something. To see this coming didn’t even help. They were Chanyeol’s friends first and foremost and somehow, I was dubbed as the mean one. It was just 11—I doubt that they’d leave soon. Chanyeol had already been dancing when I saw him earlier—would he be leaving with someone else later?

 

The idea sickened me and it hurt so much that I finally couldn’t stop my tears. I got up and brushed the ugly stains on my face with the back of my hand. Luckily, the patrons were too busy getting some to notice me hunched down in the corner of the club’s front door. I must’ve looked ridiculous anyway.

 

“You look ridiculous.” A voice startled me. I looked up and tried to recognize the face but it was somewhat an unfamiliar face. I blinked a few times more and he still looked foreign to me. He must’ve noticed the look on my face so he stepped closer and stretched his hand out. “I guess we meet again. I’m sober this time around but I’m guessing that you’re still the same?”

 

“I don’t know you.” I sighed, standing up straight. “I’m sorry but I need to go home.”

 

“Are you here because of that Chanyeol again?” The man asked. I spun my head at him and frowned—who is he and how did he know about Chanyeol? I tried to scan and remember the face but it wasn’t clear. My mind couldn’t make it. I never saw this guy before.

 

“Who am I? I’m Kris Wu. How did I know about Chanyeol? You told me all about it.” He still had a smug on his face. I blinked again but this time, I started to walk away. The drink began to kick in and the effects left my throat burning. I wanted to puke but then I remembered what happened the last time I did so. Luhan was there to help me.

 

Luhan disappeared. That self-centered nice gentleman is not here. I wanted to cry at our brief meeting but the tall man wouldn’t leave me alone. “You still don’t remember me, do you? Well, I guess we were a bit wasted back then.”

 

Oh,” It finally rang something inside my mind. I looked at him for a while before breaking into a smile. Yeah, I know this guy. I almost came home with him. His girlfriend took him on the last minute though. Wait—does that make him Luhan’s friend? As far as I knew, Luhan was there to sweep off this guy’s mess. And that mess was me.

 

“I broke up with that girl, too clingy.” Kris joked, trying to help me stand straight. “You don’t have to worry. I’m not drunk yet. Well, I was about to get some fun inside but then I saw you crying at that corner there. Thinking that we almost had a nice memory together, I decided to help you.”

 

“Nice is not a very nice word, Kris.” I told him, still conscious to actually say something like that. I chuckled—I’m a bit drunk and yet I still wanted to give a piece of my wise sayings. “You make sure that nice really means nice.” That was a bit weird to say at the moment but I couldn’t think straight. I hummed at my own thought and took my hand away from his. I need to get home.

 

“I can call Luhan to send you back if you want,” He offered. I blinked at him and wondered why he had to mention Luhan’s name. Why must Luhan be called to send me to my house? Is Luhan around anyway?

 

“You are drunk, aren’t you?” Kris held me closer and helped me to stand properly. “I’m not going to do anything to you, don’t worry. I still have the right mind not to.” I couldn’t be drunk yet. I had a few glasses but it wasn’t that strong to be kicking in so hard like this.

 

“Yifan, I tried calling you several times. What are you doing out here?” Someone called Kris in Chinese and Kris’s grip loosened up. I plopped down to the cold road, having no strength to get up anymore. I heard Kris panicking and mumbling something to his friend in Chinese.

 

Before I could close my eyes, my eyes flashed me a beautiful face. I smiled and patted the person’s cheek, feeling so disturbed to think of anything else. I brought the person’s face closer to mine as I shut my eyes tightly.

 

And…I may have vomited at that moment.