Chapter 8

Synchronized Heartbeats
Please log in to read the full chapter

My next encounter with Kai at school happened in front of the worst possible person.

          "Please work on this worksheet for the next twenty minutes and then we'll go over it. You can work together on it if you want," Professor Kyuhyun said, passing the worksheets out.

           I started working on mine as soon as I got it. From the corner of my eye, I could tell that Yoonhee was having trouble with the worksheet. I almost offered to help but then I remembered her repetitive accusation of Chen and I crushing on each other.

           As if she had read my mind, she turned to me biting her lip. "Look, I'm really sorry about what I said. I know I jump to conclusions too quickly."

I nodded at her. 

"And I won't do it again! So... will you forgive me?" she asked, pouting.

I stared at her for a few seconds before sighing. "Fine.."

"Awesome!" she exclaimed, "So can you help me with this because I didn't do the homework."

"Sure, whatever," I said, rolling my eyes and smiling.

           Ten minutes in, we were working like we normally did together. I was leaning over, explaining to Yoonhee how to do a problem when she looked up. 

"Are you even looking?" I asked.

She pointed to the other side of me. I turned and there stood Kai.

He was hiding something behind his back.

         "Uhh, do you need something?" I said, annoyed. Why did he have to keep interacting with me at school? He wasn't even in this class! 

"Yeah," he said, picking up my bag of gym clothes and walking out. 

"Hey wait!" I cried. "Wait a minute," I said to Yoonhee before getting up and following him.

When we were outside, I realized he took my bag of gym clothes because my mom accidentally switched them in the morning. 

"If you're taking your clothes then where are my gym clothes then?" I asked.

He threw my gym clothes at me and it hit me in my face. "Hey!"

"You're so tiny. I might have stretched the shorts by the way," he said grinning as he took his clothes out of my bag.

           My jaw dropped. I was not going to run around with falling shorts for an hour. He shoved my bag back into my hand and took off down the hall.

I walked back into Chemistry to face Yoonhee. 

         "Wasn't that your bag for gym clothes?!" Yoonhee exclaimed, "Why did he take it? What was behind his back? What did he say?"

"Woah, slow down there," I said, "It was nothing."

"Kai just took your bag! How is that nothing?!" Yoonhee said too loudly.

          Our classmates turned their heads towards us because of Yoonhee's loud voice. I glared at everyone and they went back to their work.

"You didn't have to say that so loudly!" I whispered.

Please log in to read the full chapter