Chapter 5

Synchronized Heartbeats
Please log in to read the full chapter

          I slept in and woke up at noon on Saturday. Usually on Saturdays I had brunch with Minjun and my mom. Then after, I would grab my iPod and walk to the park nearby my house. And of course I would go on the swings. Sometimes I would bring Minjun and we would see who could swing the highest. And sometimes I’d bring my Naeun and my camera, along with a few different outfits, and we’d have a little photo shoot.

But of course today was different because Kai lived at my house now.

While we were eating brunch, my mom cleared and we looked up. “I planned something fun for us today.”

“What?” Minjun asked.

She looked at me. “Well we’re going to the park today, but we’re having a picnic!”

I sighed but my mom stayed optimistic.

“I thought it would be good to have some bonding time, right?”

          The walk to the park was quiet, only a bit of talking here and there. But as soon as we got there, Minjun screamed, “Last one to the swings is a rotten egg!”

          So naturally, we had a race. I got there first but he claims that he didn’t want to step on a snail and it slowed him down. While I was getting higher on the swings, I could see Kai helping my mom set up the picnic table. Then my mom gestured towards us and he started walking our way.

          Just then, Minjun saw one of his friends on the slides and got off of the swings. A minute later, Kai came and took the swing next to me.

“Hey,” he said.

“What’s that?” I asked. He was holding a Ziploc bag with something inside.

“Grapes,” he said,” Hold on, I have an idea.”

He hopped off his swing and stood in front of me. As I swung forward, I tucked my legs in and yelled, “Watch out!”

“You couldn’t kick me if you tried,” he said back.

I swung forward, trying to kick him this time and saw a grape in his hand. Then he threw it at me and said, “Catch!”

I grabbed it out of the air and popped it into my mouth. “One point for me,” I said grinning.

          “You’re not supposed to catch it like that, you idiot,” Kai said. He demonstrated throwing a grape in the air and catching it in his mouth. “That’s how you do it,” he said after he swallowed.

“How am I supposed to do that on a swing?!” I exclaimed.

“That’s the challenge,” he said smirking.

“Fine, challenged accepted,” I said, determined.                                                                 

           As I swung forward again, he threw another grape. I opened my mouth wide to catch it but it hit me smack on my forehead. Kai doubled over laughing and I kicked and dangled my legs, trying to kick him again.

“You did that on purpose huh?!” I screamed.

Kai just laughed even more.

“I’m going to kill you!”

“Here try again,” he said.

“No, you’re just going to throw it at my face again!”

“That was your fault for not catching it!”

He threw the next grape anyways and I dodged it.

“Loser,” I said sticking my tongue out.

“You’re the one who didn’t catch it in your mouth!”

“Shut up,” I said, “I’ll catch it this time.”

“No you won’t. You at this, Eunmi,” he said.

“Watch and learn.”

           Kai threw another grape. I opened my mouth as wide as I could and just when I thought I missed it, I choked on something in my mouth. It was the grape.

“OHHH!!” I screamed, “I CAUGHT IT! I TOLD YOU I WOULD!”

           Kai was even more surprised than I was. “No way! Let me try!” he said as he scrambled onto a swing. I jumped off of mine and grabbed the baggie of grapes Kai left on the bench. I waited for him to get some height and then he said, “Ready.”

So then I pelted him with grapes.

“Oh wow Kai, I think you at this too”

Please log in to read the full chapter