Chapter 7

Synchronized Heartbeats
Please log in to read the full chapter

On Saturday morning, I found Kyungsoo in my kitchen. What the heck? Was the bastard inviting his friends over now? Before I could yell at Kyungsoo to get out of my house, he turned around and smiled awkwardly. “Umm… your mom let me in,” he said, scratching the back of his head. I mentally squealed. 

"It's Kai's birthday," he continued,"The others took him out. Your mom told me you were baking the cake?"

What?! When did I agree to bake him a cake?! I didn't even know it was his birthday today until now. I looked back at Kyungsoo smiling brightly. He was obviously excited that it was Kai's birthday. How could I resist that face? I gave him a small smile and he went back to cutting vegetables.

I sighed and started digging for baking supplies in the cupboards and cabinets. I decided I would make him my signature Pokéball cake that I made for Minjun for the past two years.

After a few minutes of working, I noticed the kitchen atmostphere was really awkward. 

"How old his he turning?" I asked, cracking eggs into a big bowl.

"Eighteen," Kyungsoo replied.

"Oh so he's legal now," I murmured. He'd better not feel the need to boss me around in my own house now.

"What?" Kyungsoo asked.

"Nothing."

"It's only us eleven who know you two live together by the way," he said, "He said not to tell anyone else."

"Eleven is still a lot of people," I snapped.

Realizing what I had done, I apologized. "I just dont want to let this whole thing get out of hand," I sighed. 

He put his dish on the kitchen table and sat in front of me. "You don't want your friends to know, right?"

"How did you know?" I asked.

He propped his chin in his right hand. "I can tell. You're scared we'll tell other people and it will spread and get to your friends."

"Wow, you're good. But yeah, basically."

"They're coming back in about half an hour. You want help?"

"Sure," I said smiling. How was it possible that Kyungsoo and Kai were best friends? Their personalities were completely different. 

"Where's the mixer?" he asked.

"I usually use a giant spoon. I hate washing the mixer. The spoons are in the drawer next to the fridge," I said.

He laughed, "Okay."

We finished the batter quickly, poured it in a big circular pan, and put it in the oven. Then we started the frosting. I mixed as Kyungsoo slowly poured powder sugar in. My arm started to ache from all the mixing and I got slower.

"Tired?" he asked.

"Yeah," I said smiling, "I need some man power."

He laughed and we switched places. I took out the red and black food coloring from a cabinet and placed them on the table. 

"Only two colors?" he asked. Then his lips made an "O" shape. "A Pokéball?"

"Of course!" I exclaimed.

"So have you seen his collection?" Kyungsoo asked.

"Not exactly but I know he has a whole book full of Pokémon cards."

"Just so you know, only you and I know he has a Pokémon obsession. It's kind of a secret."

"Well I think it's time for all his friends to know, don't you think?" I said smiling mischievously.

"I can't wait to see his expression," Kyungsoo said, grinning.

Please log in to read the full chapter