Chapter 4

Synchronized Heartbeats
Please log in to read the full chapter

            The next morning, sunshine poured into my room. Sunshine always looked brighter in my room since the walls were a pale light green color. Then I felt a cool breeze as my blankets were pulled off of me.

“Wake up Eunmi!” my mom called.

            That was weird. My mom never woke me up unless… had I overslept?! My eyes shot open and I sat up. I looked at my owl clock but it was earlier than I usually wake up.

“Mom, it’s not even seven yet!!” I yelled as I pulled my blankets back over me and flopped back down.

“You have to be up earlier today!” she said as she pulled my blankets off again.

“Why?!” I whined.

“You have to walk with Jongin to school,” she answered, “He doesn’t know how to get there.”

“Ughhh,” I groaned, “He can figured how to get there himself!”

           I pulled my blankets over me again. Then my mom’s prowled the blankets off of me and she carried them over to my chair next to my desk. I groaned again and I tossed and turned while kicking my feet and then got up. I walked to my mirror and it looked like I just had a wrestling match with my bed. Today was already coming off as a bad day.

           I combed my hair, brushed my teeth, slipped on my uniform and headed downstairs. I could hear Minjun and the familiar voice talking. I got more curious as I walked down the stairs. I reached the bottom and then turned. Sitting in my kitchen... was Kai. All I could do was scream. Kai was in my kitchen. Kai. He and Minjun turned their heads towards me when they heard me and I heard my mom’s thundering footsteps running down the stairs.

“MOM WHAT THE HELL IS KAI DOING IN OUR KITCHEN?!!?” I screamed, horrified.

“What do you mean ‘what is he doing in our kitchen’?!” my mom yelled back. I turned to her and noticed her hair was half curled.

“You scared me so much! I thought you were in danger! And his name is Kim Jongin! Where did Kai come from?”

“You’re Jongin?!” I screeched pointing at Kai. Then I turned back to my mom, “He’s Jongin?!”

“Yes, who else would he be?” my mom said, “I’m going to finish curling my hair if you don’t mind.”

           I gaped at Kai. What the hell. He was the “family friend” we never saw but it turns out I’ve seen him every day at school. He was Auntie Kim’s mysterious younger son. Are you freaking serious? The most popular guy in school was now living at my house because his older brother is a mama’s boy who couldn’t live too far away from his mother. What the freaking hell. Of all people, it had to be Kai. My life was definitely not going to be the same for the next six months.

Minjun interrupted my thoughts and said, “I like him! He likes Pokémon!”

I glared at him and his smile faded.

“This cannot be happening,” I murmured to myself.

          I grabbed my backpack and dashed out of the house. I sped walked down the street. How could this happen to me? He knew he would move in with me. The way he looked at me on Monday, I understood why he even took his time to look at me now. I never asked to be involved with popular people. Something always went wrong. My life was fine just the way it was. I heard someone running behind me and then a hand grabbed my shoulder to stop me. I turned around and standing there was Kai, out of breath.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” he asked breathing hard, “You were supposed to wait for me.”

“Yeah,” I said, “but I didn’t want to. You knew didn’t you? You knew you were going to move in with me. Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Because I didn’t want to,” he responded, smirking.

           I rolled my eyes. Can I please just get permission to slap him? I’d just tell my mom he got in a fight at school. It wasn’t hard to believe; I mean, look at his attitude.

“No one invited you into my life,” I said glaring.

He glared back at me. “It’s not like I asked to be in your life anyways.”

          His chocolate brown eyes were scary when he was mad. I looked away first and kept walking. He followed close behind. We walked in silence for a few minutes when suddenly he said, “Wait.”

I turned around.

“At school, we don’t know each other. Deal?” he said as he held out his hand.

          I stared at his hand. How dare him. But I had no choice but to shake on it. My friends couldn’t know either. “Deal,” I said as I shook it,” Wouldn’t want to ruin your reputation, would you?”

          I slipped my hand into his and shook it. My hand fit perfectly in his. I quickly let go and kept walking. His hand was surprisingly warm and soft. I shook my head. Why was I thinking about his hand anyways? Forcing my mind to change subjects, I thought about what I would tell Naeun and Yoonhee when they asked when the guy was going to move in and who it was. I knew they would want to meet him or at least see him. That was not going to work out.

          As we reached school, I walked a bit faster so it wouldn’t look like we came together. As I walked to the walked to the annex, I suddenly thought of a brilliant idea. The annex was where we usually met before school. Inside, there were sofas, ping pong tables, computers, and vending machines.

“Hey,” I said as I sat down across from Yoonhee and Naeun on a sofa. “I have good news.”

           They looked at me to continue. I to

Please log in to read the full chapter