Chapter 6

Synchronized Heartbeats
Please log in to read the full chapter

          The next day I was paired with Chen in dance class. He looked pretty excited about it. I tried to act happy so I didn’t disappoint him but it was hard. I had to face him again after avoiding him for a few days. Today I felt like he was extra clingy and touchy when we were dancing but that could just be my paranoid mind. After finishing the routine, he asked, “Why weren’t you trying?”

“I was trying,” I replied, even though I knew he wouldn’t believe me.

“No you weren’t.”

He sighed. “Is this about that guy living at your house?”

“Shhh!” I shushed him. We were at school and he promised me he wouldn’t let anyone know!

“It is, isn’t it?” he decided, “Well I guess I can let you off this time. You’re lucky we get to choose partners.”

          “Yeah…” I said quietly. Being partners with him meant spending more time with him, which would just make me analyze every interaction we have.

I walked to my locker and got what I needed, deep in thought. When I slammed my locker shut, Kai’s face was there.

I let out a small shriek and he laughed.

“What are you doing here?” I demanded, glaring.

“Aren’t we walking home together?” he asked, one eyebrow raised.

“We’re not supposed to meet here!” I whisper- shouted and walked away, towards the front of the school.

“Hey wait up!”

                                                                                  ~~~~~~

I slipped back into my deep thoughts about being partners with Chen as we walked home together.

“Did you hear me?” I heard Kai say. 

“Hear what?” I asked.

“I said I’m going to pick you as my dance partner.”

           My eyes widened. I wanted to say that Chen and I already agreed to be partners. But with our situation now, how would that even work out? Honestly, I felt a bit relieved when Kai said that; just because I wouldn’t have to be partners with Chen. But it made me feel like I was betraying Chen so I pushed the thought to the back of my head.

                                                                                   ~~~~~~

           At dance class the next day, Ms. Kim called up people randomly to pick partners. We sat or stood in a half circle. Chen and I stood up next to each other.

"Mikyung," she called.

She walked to the front of the class with a smirk on her face.

"Kai," Mikyung said.

           She looked so sure that they would be partners that I mentally laughed. I glanced at Kai who was whispering quietly with Lay and Sehun. "No," he said, easily refusing her.

Mikyung gasped, over-dramatically. 

"Sorry," Ms. Kim said, "You'll have to pick someone else."

"But-"

"No buts. Would you like to pick someone or shall we move on?"

She groaned in frustration and sat down with her friends. 

"Kai," Ms. Kim said.

Was he really going to pick me? How would I respond?

When he looked around the class, I saw him smirk at Mikyung.

"Mikyung," he said. What?! Did he just not refuse her?

           Her face lit up and she stood up happily. Ms. Kim as well as the rest of the class were really surprised. She was about to walk towards the front of the class when Kai spoke up.

"Did you really think I would agree to be your partner?" 

           Her face fell. Some people snickered. Kai was really an when he wanted to be. She sat down even more disappointed than before and her friends patted her back.

           Kai started to walk around the half circle slowly. He occasionally stopped in front of random girls to get their hopes up. But then he would walk away. Then he made his w

Please log in to read the full chapter