Chapter 2

Synchronized Heartbeats
Please log in to read the full chapter

“What?!” Naeun and Yoonhee exclaimed when I told them the news the next morning.

“Yeah, I know,” I agreed.

“That’s basically messing up the last of your senior year!” Naeun said.

“Yeah, I know,” I sighed.

“How could your mom do this to you?!” Yoonhee added.

“YEAH, I KNOW.” I said louder.

Naeun and Yoonhee looked shocked and offended.

             “I’m sorry,” I apologized, “I just don’t know if I’ll like this Kim Jongin guy.  I basically have to see him 24/7 and if i don’t like him then I’m basically screwed for the next six months.”

The bell rung and we hurried off to our classes. As Professor Onew lectured, Naeun and I talked quietly.                                                                          

“So what are you going to do if Kim Jongin turns out to be a douche?” Naeun whispered.   

“I really don’t know,” I whispered back, “If he is, I’ll even let Minjun sleep in my room. I can’t have him sharing a room with a douche.”

Naeun laughed quietly,” Wow, you’d actually do that much for him?”

“Yeah, at these times, we’re allies, not enemies.”

“So what happens if he’s nice and you could actually see yourselves being friends?” Naeun asked.

“I really don’t know,” I admitted, “I’m just preparing for the worst.”

“Hey,” Naeun started,” If you ever start developing mental problems because of this guy, you’re always welcome at my house.”

I smiled,” Thanks.”

In second period, Yoonhee of course asked me what I would do if the guy was cute.

             “Well I don’t know,” I said. Then I continued just to blow her mind, “I mean we’d have six months. If he likes me back something’s going to start right?”

“Woah, you’re actually considering it?” Yoonhee asked.

“Uhh, sure,” I said.

“Wow, I thought you’d just brush it off or something.”

I looked over at her and shrugged.

“Well!” she continued happily,” Something can’t just randomly start you know. Someone has to start it. And if he won’t do it then you’ll have to.”

“Haha,” I laughed sarcastically,” you know I’m not going to start anything so if he won’t do it, it’s not going to happen.”

“He might be your soul mate,” Yoonhee pressured.

I slapped her arm, “Come on!”

She rubbed her arm and said, “Ow” and pouted.

“How do you even know all this relationship stuff anyways?” I asked,” You said you’ve never been in one.”

She rolled her eyes. “Magazines, duhh”

My mouth dropped. “Do you really spend hours reading those?”

“Yeah,” she shrugged, “Don’t judge, they’re interesting, okay?”

Then she smiled evilly. “I got Naeun into them too.”

“NO WAY!” I exclaimed,” How could you?! That’s why she’s been acting this way huh?!”

Yoonhee laughed. “Hey, it’s not a bad thing!”

“Well what if Naeun turns into a boy addict like you? One is enough!” I exclaimed, “She’ll completely change and she won’t be Naeun anymore!”

“Look at it this way,” Yoonhee said,” if that guy turns out to be a cutie then you have us to ask for advice!”

I threw my hands in the air and said, “I give up.”

At lunch I confronted Naeun about the magazines.

“You’re reading magazines with Yoonhee now?!” I said.

Naeun looked at me sheepishly. “She told you?”

              I laughed. “Yeah, please do not turn into Yoonhee. Oh, and if I have any boy trouble, I’ll make sure to ask you for help,” I looked over at Yoonhee eating, “At least you won’t make a big deal out of it.”

“Hey, I’m not that much of a drama queen, okay?” Yoonhee said with full.

“Yes you are,” Naeun and I replied at the same time.

               In dance, I didn’t have the chance to tell Chen about the guy moving in so he walked me home and stayed over for a bit. He was always welcome at my house. When I finished telling him about it, we had already reached my house.

“Are you serious?” he asked.

“Yeah. Why me out of all people,” I groaned as I dumped my backpack on the kitchen table.

“This isn’t a prank is it?” he asked again.

“Minjun!! I’m home! Come here!” I yelled.

Minjun ran over to the kitchen and said, “What? I was cleaning my room so the stupid guy can sleep in there.”

“So it’s real?” Chen gaped.

“Yeah,” I sighed. I turned back to Minjun and explained,” He doesn’t believe me.”

“Can’t blame him,” he said as he headed back towards his room.

              Chen and I started working on our homework as we ate Pocky and drank orange juice. We had just finished our homework when my mom came back from work. We were just starting a movie with Minjun. She invited Chen over for dinner since she would be done cooking by the time we were done with the movie anyways.

“So there’s one more thing I didn’t get to tell you yesterday,” she began when it was dinner time.

My brother and I looked up. We were dreading this new information. Chen looked up too since he still couldn’t believe it and he was curious.

“Jongin will be moving in with us the day after tomorrow,” she said.

“WHAT?!” my brother and I screamed.

“Why is it so soon?!” I exclaimed.

“Why didn’t you tell me before?!” Minjun complained,” I have to clean up so much!”

              “You should have never made the mess in the first place,” my mom scolded, “We are not complaining about this again. It will happen and there’s nothing to do about it now. You will treat him like he is family and that’s final.”

              After that everyone was silent as they ate. I felt sorry for Chen since he had nothing to do with it and he was probably feeling more uncomfortable than the rest of us were.

               I finished dinner and Chen decided to leave. He didn’t really want to stay any longer like he usually did since the mood of the house wasn’t exac

Please log in to read the full chapter