The Dark Secret

Love and Betrayal

"Don't be afraid. Take my hand"

 

Sometimes she remembered those words when she was scared. Anyone couldn't imagine that Kim Hyuna, the deadly and brave soldier of the Imperial Army might feel something like fear. She remembers a young girl smiling at her, as she says those words. She can remember her bright smile, she was playful and kind. She had arrived to the village not long ago, she had no parents and she always returned home where a old lady lived, in a small house. She felt that she was the only one at that place that could understand her because she felt like she had no parents as well. Her father was always absent, her mother attending business. Her brother was one of the few that actually paid attention to her.

 

Hyuna arrived and she was about to open the door when it opened in a rush and all that Hyuna could see was a dark mane of hair, before feeling Gayoon's arms holding her with strength. Gayoon cried for a moment before kissing her friend's cheek. During the attack Gayoon was custodied by other soldiers and she couldn't talk to Hyuna until now.

 "Thank god you are safe!" Gayoon whispered. There were bags under her eyes and she was pale, visibly anxious with the recent events. Hyuna swallowed, trying to keep her composure. Being tired and having her princess so close was driving her almost crazy.

 "Are you all right?" Gayoon asked and all that Hyuna could do was nod.

 "You need to rest and eat properly. It's an order." Gayoon quickly added.

 "So as you. You look..."

 "I will be fine! Don't underestimate me." Gayoon snapped and Hyuna nodded.

 "I'm not but.."

 "Please...forgive my rudeness, it's just..." Gayoon turned her back and walked away from her.

 "It's all right, Gayoon...I mean, there's a lot of things going on." Hyuna said in an attempt to comfort her. Gayoon looked at her again.

 "How's Jiyoon?"

 Hyuna nodded again, slightly disappointed. "She's doing fine"

 Gayoon walked towards the window and Hyuna was cautious of asking more to her.   "Do you know anything about JunHyung?"

 Hyuna was surprised at the sudden question. "I don't know him that well. He has been training soldiers for a time and now he has been transferred to the castle after a promotion. Just that."

 Gayoon's eyes were deep lost on the scenery outside the window and then smiled to Hyuna. "Please, do me a favor. Keep an eye on that man"

 Hyuna bowed. "As you wish"

 Gayoon approached her again and smiled, more relaxed this time. "But first, take some rest. Am I clear?"

 "Of course." Hyuna smiled at her and soon she departed from Gayoon, still wondering what had make her so suspicious about Commander JunHyung.

 When she arrived to her dormitory she found a letter with a black seal on it. She opened it and exhales heavily, remembering those words that he had said.

 

"I'm counting on you, Hyuna"

She closes her eyes, her memories aching in her mind. She sits on the bed, trying to focus on her next task.

"Promise me... She won't suffer..." 

"I know you love her but how unfortunate for you that..."

"Please!...."

He stares at her with sadness. "We made an oath to our clan, to our father."

"You don't care about our father! or anything! You only care about this bloody castle!" She rages at him and he walks towards her. Hyuna is scared and she tries to draw her sword. But he's quick and holds her arm. His fiery eyes betray his calm voice.

"Would you kill me for her...to kill your own brother for her?"

"I would! You and even the whole world if I have to!" She pronounces every word with repressed fury and he smiles and then laughs.

"I like that attitude of yours, sister! But how tragic we are destined to bring misery to your beloved Gayoon, by killing her father..."

 

--------

 

Everything was blurry, the waves dragging her towards the depths of a dark void. She can still feel it; The waves across her fragile body. She closes her eyes, depleted of energy to stay awake. She's breathing, still alive, however, she's pale and cold and she can't find her way out of the darkness. Screams can be heard but she can't find the source, echoing in her mind.

"Jiyoon!"

She opens her eyes slowly, realizing that someone is holding her hand. Gayoon is sitting next to her, visibly worried.

"It's ok...It's just a dream." she says softly and Jiyoon blinks.

"Gayoon..." Jiyoon says slowly regaining conscience. She had been physically fine since this morning but for some reason she was tense, and she couldn’t wait to get out of the room. "You're here..."

"I apologize. I couldn't see you earlier. I had many things that demanded my complete attention..."

Jiyoon nodded, noticing her state. Her words had an anxious tone. She guessed she was worried about her father. "It's all right"

"I was so worried about you, when I saw you unconscious..." Gayoon's eyes were teary and Jiyoon was speechless. "They told me that you were infected with some kind of poison. Fortunately we had the antidote" Gayoon smiled with relief. "But... with all these thing happening. It made me think about how fragile our lives are"

Jiyoon had no idea of what to say, it hurt her to see Gayoon like that.

"Are you... all right?"

Gayoon smiled. "Yes. I'm fine. It's just..."

"Is your father? I guess he's mad with this attack..."

"I think he's...losing his mind. I mean...he's full of arrogance and rage. I can understand it, but..."

Gayoon sighs and Jiyoon sits to stay closer to her. "Be careful, your wounds..." Gayoon warns her.

"I will be fine. It takes more than this to kill me"

"That's what I'm afraid of" Gayoon whispers. "I have this...fear... I don't want you to get hurt because of me"

"I would be honored to die for you."

Gayoon silences her with a finger. "Don't say that"

They stayed for a long moment, looking at each other, both of them trying to convey into words what they were feeling but silence persisted for a long time. Jiyoon could feel her heart pounding against her chest when Gayoon's fingers trailed over her neck and tracing her collarbones. She thought that maybe she would die, right now at her hands, instead at the enemy.

"I have met a lot of people in my life... but there's something about you. Something that draws me to you. I thought at first it was a fleeting attraction, something that would pass quickly. But..."

"But?" Jiyoon asks eager for her words

"These days that I have spent with you, this unfortunate incident, made me realize...this..."

Gayoon's hand on Jiyoon’s chest but her eyes is fixated on Jiyoon's.

"I... I can't promise anything. As a Princess I can't be free. I can't say this but..."

Jiyoon nods. The Princess must know what she feels about her or maybe she suspects it. "It's all right, you don't have to worry about me..." Jiyoon feels almost unable to pronounce any word.

"No. I wish I could... I wish I could know what is it that troubles you. I can't read your mind but I know. That sadness, those secrets that you keep."

A couple of tears falls from Jiyoon's  eyes, she's confused, vulnerable in front of this woman and she closed her eyes when she feels her lips on her own, a tender kiss that lasts only a moment.

"I'm...I'm sorry" Gayoon says, leaving the room in a rush. Jiyoon stays with her head low, still being unable to process what had happened.

 

----

 

"I like that attitude of yours, sister! But how tragic we are destined to bring misery to your beloved Gayoon, by killing her father..."

When he said those words, he saw pain in her sister's eyes. He had been the one who had convinced his father to send her away to Heo Kingdom as spy long time ago, hoping that she would prove herself and become stronger. He couldn't foresee that his sister would defend the princess with such devotion, and he had been continuously trying to provide excuses to his father and the black moon organization.

 

He watched the river's current absent in his thoughts, his subordinates, far from him, discussing the possibility of a war. However for him, life itself was war almost all the time, except when sometimes, he could see a beautiful flower, or enjoy a sunny day. His fondest memories seemed to happen a lifetime ago, when he was just a kid, when he wasn't fully aware of his heritage as an assassin.

 

"I don't want any of your stupid flowers, do you think that I will fall for that?!" 

 

Junhyung smiled because Jiyoon was so spontaneous back then. Before growing up and becoming a cold hearted woman, at least on the outside. Now she is a killer that has accomplished many things and now, they were so close to the final victory. The elders said that he would make his father proud but he didn't want any of that. All he wants was just a chance to be free. 

"Nothing. there's nothing that I would want"  She said after the test at the Dark Forest. She was lying back then. He knows that she has fallen for the Princess, just like his sister.

"Ah, this is so complicated..." He smiles and looks at the sunny day. "Either way, someone is going to cry..."

 

"Sir, excuse me!" A soldier approaches as he turns around. "The king demands to execute the prisoners..."

Junhyung nods. "What a shame, but...as a loyal soldier, it can't be helped."

 

Just another step closer to victory.

-----------------------------------------------

Hi readers!!! How are you doing?! Sorry for the late update as usual!! Hope you enjoy this chapter! And let us know how you find it! :D <3