The graduation ceremony

Love and Betrayal

She was waiting for her at one empty room, not far from the main hall. When Jiyoon announced herself she swallowed and tried to keep her composure. Gayoon looked more radiant than ever, her smile welcoming her before she could have the moment to speak. Jiyoon bowed waiting for her reaction. Gayoon stepped forward to talk to her.
"See? I knew that you would be back."
Jiyoon now stares at her with a shy smile. She remembers her words clearly. "You have too much faith in me, my princess" Jiyoon speaks in a humble way, feeling her heart aching at the mission that she has to carry on.

"She doesn't deserve this..."

 

Gayoon laughs softly and nods. "I feel like I can trust in you. ...isn't that strange? "
All that Jiyoon can do is look at her, hoping that she could not guess her conflict. Or maybe yes, it would be good for Gayoon to guess everything. But she knows that t would be a certain death for her.
"And congratulations! You survived and guided your comrades splendidly. The commander told me about you."
Jiyoon tried to keep her thoughts about Junhyung away.
"Nothing impressive, my princess. We were close to be killed."
Gayoon dismissed her words with a quick movement of her hand. "Ah, don't put yourself down. Your princess is complimenting you!"

" I'm sorry! " Jiyoon bowed again and Gayoon laughs. Jiyoon stood straight again. For a moment they exchanged a smile and Gayoon stepped forward to touch the medal that she had given her personally. Jiyoon felt like she was burning violently.  She swallows, her heart pounding with a quick beat. "Please,  protect me like you have done before"
Jiyoon notices that there's something bothering her deeply. She takes a deep breath unconsciously and nods.
" I will...I..."
Gayoon realises that someone is coming and steps away from Jiyoon who does the same. It was hyuna announcing that Gayoon was required at the Great hall. Jiyoon averted her gaze from hyuna who only looked at Gayoon, not even thinking of how annoying was the interruption, but how nervous made her feel.  The princess departed from Jiyoon and closely followed by Hyuna, took her way.

 

----

 

When Jiyoon found Sohyun again outside the main buiding, they joined the rest of the new guards in a improvised kind of celebration. Despite all the happiness of the moment, Jiyoon couldn't bring herself to speak with anyone. She refused to drink the soju that they were sharing. Sohyun hadn't been extremely talkative either, the two of them with a rather quiet mood.

"Come on, girls, what's up with those faces?" One of the guys spoke but all the jokes were cut with the appearance of the Commander.

"listen up, Some of you have  been blessed with assignments starting tomorrow."

Some of the guys wanted to take a little break from all the training and quickly the funny faces became serious. The commander proceeded to give the assignments and transferring people. Minhyuk, and Sungjae had been assigned to the 4th regiment. That only meant that they were going to be in the castle.

"Kwon Sohyun, 4th regiment." Sohyun seemed to be shocked at the notice.

Jeon Jiyoon, 4th regiment.

The commander kept giving assignments and the meeting was over.

"I can't believe it!, we are going to serve under Kim Hyuna herself!" One of the guys said, displaying the usual admiration that many people felt towards Hyuna. "She's so damn y"

"yeah, she can order me anything!"

Jiyoon frowned at them. "You guys are so pathetic, right Sohyun?"

Sohyun looked so serious that Jiyoon was suspicious. "Hey, are you fine?"

"oh...yeah...just worried. It's a big deal. 4th regiment is such a big responsibility, taking care of the royal heir"

Jiyoon thought about the princess and then Junhyung's words appeared again in her mind. He was leaving her to take care of the assigned job while watching her from afar. 

 

---

Late after the dinner, Hyuna was helping Gayoon to come back to her dorm. Gayoon had left the hall after drinking a little too much soju and the Queen ordered Hyuna to dispatch her to her room before doing something stupid and embarrass herself in front of the guests.

"I can't stand him.... and that hideous woman..."

"Princess..." Hyuna tried to speak but she thought it was useless, since she was almost drunk. Gayoon kept looking at the floor while walking, holding Hyuna for support. "I wish that I could be powerful... enough to be free..."

"Come on...don't say that."

"Please stay with me..." Gayoon begged, holding on Hyuna's arm. It made her sad to see her princess like that, depressed and sad because she could be married to someone against her will.

"You have to rest..."

"Stay..." her voice fading out. Hyuna agrees and takes her to her room. Gayoon takes off the dress lazily, while Hyuna is enduring all her most private thoughts, helping her to put her pajamas. Gayoon insisted her to lie next to her, then cuddling with her until she falls asleep and Hyuna doesn't dare to move and interrupt her sleep. She stares at the ceiling for a long time, her mind aching with all the worries about Gayoon's future. She wanted to be powerful enough to make her happy, to protect her from everyone, especially from her own family.

"She doesn't deserve this..."

Gayoon starts to move, still sleeping and Hyuna looks back at her. She was close enough to steal a kiss from her but she only kisses her forehead, wishing that she could be dreaming of her.

 

---

 

Still yawning on her way to check the new reinforcements, she smiled to herself at the memory of last night. However, she focused on the task ahead, saluting one of the soldiers that gave her list of newcomers. Hyuna sighed when she saw Sohyun's name and then she frowned when she saw Jiyoon's name right under Sohyun. She threw the list to the guy before her and went to face them, standing up in a row before her. Hyuna looked at them with apparent disgust, something usual. Two of the old guards were behind Hyuna.

"Apparently, some commander thinks that I can babysit some rookies...well, let me tell you this: If you are useless to me, you are out. Simply like that. Your first priority; make sure that not even a small fly can touch the princess. You don't ask, you kill, and then check the dead body. When it comes to princess safety there's not too much measure to make her safe, understood?!"

"Understood!" they yelled. 

Hyuna started to walk, passing by Sohyun and looking at Jiyoon with a serious face.

"So, aren't you the so called heroine? You got some 'fans' talking about you" Hyuna was clearly taunting her. Jiyoon merely looks at the front.

"Well, at least you know how to keep your mouth shut" Hyuna was about to turn back, but she suddenly tries to punch Jiyoon, who holds her hand fimly. The rest of the soldiers stayed in place hiding their surprise.

Then a surprising duel of martial arts started between the two young girls. Everyone was astonished of seeing someone on Hyuna's level, until they stop, looking at each other. Hyuna smirks and leaves her guarding stance. Jiyoon does the same. Hyuna orders to her men to guide the new ones to their respective dorms.

"You...wait..." says Hyuna to Jiyoon.

"Maybe you are a guard now...but still I don't want you near the princess." Says Hyuna

"Why? Are you jealous of me?" says Jiyoon

"You little..." says Hyuna

" I'm here because the princess has been kind to me and I want to protect her, that's it! Look, I don't like you either and that's fine! At least we have something in common..."

Hyuna frowns and sighs. Jiyoon remains calm. Hyuna can have a hot temper but the princess is her weakness and Jiyoon can see how it affects her.

"Well. Let’s see if you can prove it." Says Hyuna

 

Jiyoon had expected a bad treatment from Hyuna and wasn't surprised when she relegated her to the frontline every time that they had to Gayoon, of course Hyuna had the privilege to be closer to Gayoon, something that was starting to piss her off. And there was Sohyun, strangely silent, a little bit sad, and avoiding her when they had free time. However, in the middle of this was her. Gayoon always managed to steal her gaze, making her feel more and more drawn to her. Days turned to weeks and weeks turned in two months.

 

"Hey!" Jiyoon called Sohyun when she was about to leave the castle. This was her day for rest and she always left the castle to visit her family. "Wait a minute!"

"Can we talk later? I'm in a hurry"  Sohyun wanted to leave quickly.

"I want to speak with you."

Sohyun nodded and they started to walk at one side of the road. A  lot of carriages entering and coming out from the castle as usual.

"Something is bothering you and I'm worried about you" Jiyoon said.

"You don't have to. We are guards now and...I have to be strong."

He voice was filled with sadness but also with resolution. Maybe Jiyoon had underestimated her and the result of the training and their new tasks as guards. The rumors of an underground force trying to kill the king was starting to increase, Jiyoon could notice it when she walked around the town, in her free days. Of course, Hyuna would keep an eye on her but Jiyoon was careful of not entering to shady places, basically living in the castle and not searching for a place to meet the princess, especially since Gayoon always manages to find a chance to see her almost every day, which made her feel content.

 

"It's true. But I thought that we were friends."

Jiyoon doesn't look back at Sohyun. She remembers her teachings clearly every day, but Sohyun's faith in her had been something that she couldn't reject. She questions herself the value of those words and if she was right in meddle in someone else's affairs.

"She...told me that once..."

Sohyun's voice brings Jiyoon back from her thoughts.

"...I wanted something more...something that I could never have..." Sohyun said.

Jiyoon looks at her and Sohyun smiles, remembering. "I tried...I believed that my persistence could solve things...but the space between us got wider...after that day.... Especially when she surpassed everyone, and she left. The youngest guard, the strongest one as well. People would admire or hate her..."

Jiyoon didn't have to hear her name but she knew clearly who it was. Kim Hyuna.

"...that day...that was a mistake. That's why, Jiyoon, I have to warn you, but I don't think you need my advices." Sohyun looks at her with a strong gaze. "Be careful. You can give everything for love but sometimes there's nothing but tears and disappointment. Especially when you can be replaced by someone else, easily."

"Sohyun..."

"It's all right, unnie...I'm the pride of my clan. I accepted my defeat. But you...I can see you more devoted to the princess than before, even if you try to look serious. That look in your eyes betrays you"

Sohyun averted her gaze from Jiyoon, who only looks at the ground, each step feeling heavier than before. Was she that obvious? Could Gayoon be aware of her true feelings? And what about Junhyung? These questions it’s all that Jiyoon can think. A tight knot is in , and she can't speak properly for a moment.

"I...don't want anything in this world..." Jiyoon speaks, more for herself than Sohyun.

"That's a nice thought unnie...but people always want something...and you are still human. Thanks for being concerned about me. Next time if we got a free day together, I will invite you to my house."

Jiyoon stops and Sohyun keeps walking, smiling to her before continuing her path. 

 

Sohyun's words still haunts her as she walks back and enters the castle, thinking that she should stay a while in her room, when she hears someone calling her name. One of the guards call her and brings her to a secluded garden, where she can see the princess, sitting not far from a young woman, playing the gayageum's strings with a delicacy and skill that made her impress. The guy left and the princess looked up to notice her presence. Gayoon smiled and raised her hand to let her know that she should come closer and sit next to her. Jiyoon obeys and kept looking at her, then at the woman who's playing. The song ends and Gayoon claps, visibly content with her performance.

"That was wonderful, Jihyun, you are definitely improving!"

Jihyun bowed and thanked her for her words. Jihyun was really beautiful and seemed to be a nice person. One of the maids served tea for the three of them and Jiyoon was surprised that Hyuna wasn't around to annoy her.

"For me?" Jiyoon said.

"Of course, silly, drink" Gayoon laughed. "But I haven't introduced you, my manners are bad!....Jiyoon, she's Nam Jihyun... daughter of the Commander of the Army and a talented artist..."

"I'm afraid that you are too kind, your highness..." responded Jihyun

"and this is my loyal guard...Jeon Jiyoon" says Gayoon

Jihyun smiled and stared at Jiyoon for a moment. "Not many people earn such compliments from the Princess...you must be very strong!"

"Oh...not really" says Jiyoon

Gayoon laughed. "You are making her blush, Jihyun!"

The two women laughed and Jiyoon only drinks her tea. Sohyun's words are again in her mind. And when Jihyun starts to play, completely focused on her execution and Gayoon immersed in her performance, Jiyoon can take a moment to get lost in the image of the princess at her side and realizing that there's no turning back.  This feeling is consuming her slowly,  it could be her downfall... a love that could bring nothing but tears?

Gayoon turns to see her, her smile leaving her defenseless. And only then she understands that the only way to be free was this. 

"I won't let him hurt you, my princess..."

 

 

TBC...