The Battle at night

Love and Betrayal

Everything happened in a few seconds. Surrounded in chaos, people are running in different directions, screaming in horror. All that can be heard is the sound of explosions and swords clashing. Hyuna leads the soldiers, Jiyoon is focused on protecting the princess. Fighting their way, they managed to get out of the mess, Gayoon yelling for her father, worried about him trying to run back.

"No. We can't go back!" Hyuna shouts

"No!, My father is there! " Gayoon protests. However, Hyuna holds her back.

"I got direct orders from the king and our duty is to keep you safe!" She says firmly then orders Sohyun and the others to stay close to her. Hyuna leads them, away from the crowd, and to the carriage. The others are riding into horses and heading towards the castle.

Jiyoon stays alert, trying to detect something in Hyuna, her words still in her mind. However, they have to stop suddenly as a group of people with torches, and armed with swords stands in their way. There's no turning back and Jiyoon knows they have to fight. 

Hyuna dismounted from her horse and faced the opponents. Jiyoon, who was at one side of the carriage, and next to Sohyun, looked around. She could feel that there were more people involved, maybe waiting for a chance to shoot at them.

 

"Kim Hyuna! Surrender and maybe you won’t suffer as much!!" Said a young man, with the same rank as Hyuna. He looked confident and eager to attack her.

 

"So, are you part of the conspiracy?!" She accused him. "Is this is how your family repays our King's kindness, with cowardice and betrayal?!"

 

"I don't have anything to say, I don't discuss with...immoral woman like you! But I can't blame you, I bet that your princess must be so good in bed..." he smirked.

 

"BASTARD! YOU DARE TO INSULT OUR PRINCESS!!!" Sungjae yelled and Minhyuk holded him. Sohyun was shocked. How could they know about that? She couldn't help but to think about that possibility but then she hears Jiyoon.

"Pay attention!" Jiyoon wakes her from her thoughts.

 

 

Hyuna's eyes were flashing with anger but she knew she was being taunted and she wasn't going to fall so easy.

"Not just arrogant and coward but also an insolent, vile snake. I have no choice but to end your disgraceful life!"

 

"If you move, I will order my archers to shoot down your soldiers and your precious princess. So… I think the loser between us is you." He says smiling.

"Don't be so sure about it..." Hyuna mutters and suddenly they hear screams near the trees and the sound of things falling into the ground. The enemy leader was confused. Were there more enemies, hidden in the shadows?

 

"Shoot them!" He ordered but nothing happened. During those intense seconds, they waited for something to happen but all they could hear is silence. 

 

The leader turned around to look behind him and shout, then he realized what happened and turned toward his enemies "How could you...?!"

 

"Listen...I'm well aware of your intentions and your strategies. If you order your followers to kill us, we will respond and will crush you quickly!" Hyuna says with determination. "You are scared of me and that's why you have to ambush us. I'm going to give you a second chance to act like an honorable soldier! Fight me if you dare! "

 

The man was angered and dismounted from his horse as well.

 

"I'm going to shut that mouth of yours..." He unsheathed his sword and charged directly into Hyuna. She did the same and they engaged into a duel, their swords clashing and swinging. They were trying to know each others's strong and weak points. Everyone was alert if there was a possibility of watching their respective leaders getting hurt.

 

The duel continued for some minutes. The enemy leader was taking advantage of his strength and while Hyuna was trying to hold him, he threw sand toward Hyuna eyes. She could barely see anything with one eye. At that moment, his enemy cut her in her leg.

 

He was going to deliver another blow when another sword suddenly clash with his sword. Then they engage into another battle. He was caught off guard of a sudden challenger, finally he determine who it was. It was Jiyoon who was facing him and protecting Hyuna.

 

"Get out! You are not allowed to interfere!" Hyuna yelled. Jiyoon only smiles while looking at the enemy.

 

"I can't hear you, Hyuna..." 

 

"How dare you to interfere?! This is our battle!" The man yelled.

 

"Ah, you must be frustrated because Hyuna rejected you, right?" Jiyoon . "I saw you trying to flirt with her at the party. But if you hurt her, our princess won't be happy." Jiyoon says and they start to fight. Jiyoon got her arm sliced twice. In the meanwhile, Hyuna was trying to recover her sight, then suddenly she sees the enemy leader on the ground, coughing. His right leg was injured badly and he was struggling, trying to stand up.

 

"Kill her!" The enemies yell and Jiyoon points her sword toward the enemy leader.

 

"I will kill him if any of you make a move." Jiyoon threatens them.

 

"No!" Hyuna yells. "It's my battle"

 

"Let us go!" Jiyoon says, ignoring Hyuna.

 

 

Sohyun saw through Jiyoon's intentions. She was talking with the others. Gayoon was inside the the carriage, terrified and praying that they will be able to resolve the situation and also praying for Hyuna and Jiyoon safety.

 

 

The enemy leader looked at Jiyoon and spited at her. "Never! I will kill all of you! Soldiers charge!”

 

Jiyoon cursed and got ready to take on a squad of soldiers when suddenly a group of royal soldiers arrived surrounding them and protecting them.

 

"Kill the traitors! And capture their leader!" 

 

Jiyoon turned to see the source of that voice. She was frozen when she saw him.

"Jun hyung..." She whispers as he yells and gets into battle, killing a couple of men and leading them to victory. Jiyoon feels a sharp pain in her left arm. Blood falls onto the ground and she has to kneel down due the pain.

 

"Gayoon...I have to stay close to Gayoon..."

----

 

That was a stressful night. The king was alive. But an arrow had pierced in one of his legs during the confusion. People had died during the incident, innocent citizens and also many traitors. Some of the bodies of those involved in the attack were hanged publicly in the streets, some others executed. Their families were now in shame, begging for mercy. The leaders had been captured and they were being tortured, to get more information. The king was angered and he ordered to execute the betrayer families. But the ministers weren't going to do that; it would anger the commoners and put the king in a worst position.

 

 

"You must understand...the king feels betrayed. We have to assure the union of our kingdom. Keep an eye on their families just in case, commander."

 

"Of course, ministers." Junhyung bowed. "Wise as usual. We will make sure that those conspirators will be punished as it should be"

 

Gayoon was silent, divided between worries and shocked because she was invited to the meeting. Maybe they don't even trust the queen and she, being the only heir was suitable to attend this reunion.

 

When the reunion ended, she was approached by Junhyung. She felt uneasy around him. Something out of place with his smile, his eyes were like trying to search something into her.

"I couldn't thank you properly for saving us last night. " Gayoon says and Junhyung bows. 

 

"Thank God we arrived on time before a tragedy could happen."

 

"Yes. Please, don't let soldiers take justice in their hands. The families of those betrayals are innocent."

 

"Of course, your highness.  I, personally believe in justice. It won't be easy to calm down things but please trust us. We have made a sacred oath and you have the best fighters by your side."

 

Gayoon nodded. "That's right. I wouldn’t be alive if it weren't for them..."

 

---

 

"You came to scold me?" Jiyoon comments while finishing breakfast, alone at one of the recovery rooms of the soldiers' camp. Hyuna entered and sat down in front of her with a troubled expression.

"Or are you pissed off that I stole that glorious opportunity to kill that idiot?" Jiyoon asked after another moment of silence.

"I came here to... to thank you." Hyuna mutters and Jiyoon looks visibly surprised.

"Wow...so you know that word? I'm impressed." Jiyoon jokes and Hyuna doesn't even try to reply.

"I can be harsh, but I know when to thank someone. Even if I don't..."

Jiyoon smiles "Even if you are jealous of me?"

Hyuna wants to punch her so badly. "Yes."

"Well. Congratulations for being humble." Jiyoon laughs. Hyuna can’t intimidate her like she would do with any of her subordinates. She hated to admit, she was perhaps, the only one like her. Still, Hyuna is pissed at Jiyoon's mock of her.

"Is that all you can say?"

Jiyoon nodded.  "You earned it"

"And then why did you saved me?" Hyuna asks impatient.

Jiyoon smirks. "If you die, then how  can I beat you?"

Hyuna stares at her with disdain. "You are..."

 

"And our princess won't be happy.  I know that she really likes you. You are her friend...." Jiyoon can remember stories that Gayoon has told her about Hyuna. She was always there for her. She was a brave soldier, she would do anything for the princess sake. Without Hyuna, there’s no Gayoon. Something that Jiyoon was jealous and thankful for.

A moment of silence passed, the two of them staring at each other.

"So there's no point in being enemies.” Hyuna finally said. “There's a revolution going on, I can guarantee you that this won't be the only attack..."

"Hyuna..."

"We have to protect her. With those old guys around her, we can't fix things..." Hyuna insists.

Jiyoon stares at her empty plate, Hyuna is looking at her. "She's the only thing worth in this world for me. And I know I can't be with her, like I want to. But if there's a chance that she can decide her own future; being a Queen or not... I want to fight for that. What do you fight for, Jiyoon? You said that you don't want anything in this world but..."

Jiyoon think about the things that had happened between Gayoon and her, her growing feelings for her…

"I fight for Gayoon. Just like you."

 

Unknown to them, Sohyun was hearing their conversation. Hearing Hyuna confessing her feeling to Jiyoon was tearing her apart. She already knew the answer but, it still tore her apart. Trying to endure her broken heart, she wipes away her tears and walks away from them.

 

TBC....