Learnings

The Reason I Became A Witch

~Hyesun~

          I couldn't sleep at all. I really wanted to break out and help Hyemi, I was so useless here! I couldn't use my powers, there was no window to try to get out of, and the only door in and out of the room was guarded 24/7. 
 
          I paced back and forth, worrying about Hyemi. So far all I knew was that she was with other people, I didn't know who, but apparently the queen did. Also, she was in danger. Ughhh I couldn't do anything to help her! 
 
          "Luhan, WHAT are you doing!? Drop the knife right now!"
 
          Hyemi?! Wait, who is this Luhan? What is he/she doing to Hyemi? Grrrr if this person's hurting her, I swear I will... 
   
          knock, knock, knock
 
          My head jerked towards the door, "What?" I snapped, "Can't you come in after I give you permission?" 
 
          Chansung held up his hands in a sign of surrender. "I'm sorry, I was just going to tell you about what I found out, I guess if you don't want to know then it's okay..." He began to close the door.
 
          "Wait! I'm sorry, okay, it's just that I heard Hyemi again and... I'm sorry for snapping at you."
 
          He nodded, then said, "About Hyemi... I think I know what her power is." 
 
          I was ready to hear about this new piece of information. "And..." I prodded him to go on. 
 
          "I think your sister's psychic." I frowned a bit. "I'm pretty sure there are no such thing as psychic powers."
 
          Chansung sat on the edge of my bed and handed me a book. I eagerly flipped the pages until I found the one he bookmarked. "There. See for yourself."
 
          Psychic
 
Rarity: Psychic Elements are considered very rare. They are found once every few generations of a family. 
 
Strengths: strong conviction, manipulation
 
Weaknesses: weak physical endurance
 
Powers: All psychics have a field of specialization, and are equipped with the basic psychic powers common to all psychics. Specialties include telekinesis, teleportation, healing, time control, prophesying and mind control. Basics include telepathy and shielding. 
 
Magic Items: It is common among psychics to have a small magical item with them that stores a tiny amount of psychic powers, for emergency use. One trend was for psychics to hold a piece of jewelry, usually an amulet or a ring, which can allow a psychic to communicate with someone using an amulet that contains  their stored powers.
 
          The description felt like it was talking about Hyemi herself. And the amulets. That's what they were for. So mom and dad knew all along? Why didn't they tell us?
 
          "Hyesun." Chansung brought me back to reality by waving his hand in front of my face. I blinked a couple of times. "You believe me now?" 
 
          I gave him a look. "Yes, I do. Now what?" 
 
          "Why don't you try to contact her with the amulet?" I blinked again. "What, and if I find her, you'll bring her here? No way. Nuh-uh. Ain't happenin'." 
 
          "I'm not gonna tell her location to the queen." 
 
          "And I'm supposed to believe you why...? I mean, you are a guard of the queen, right?" 
 
          "Touché. But I'll tell you now that I'm not on her side. Not that I'm on your side, either. I'm just being forced to work here, 'kay? Just so you know." He stood up and walked out the door. 
 
          I flopped on my bed and tried to recall everything that I've learned so far. Hyemi's a psychic, the only one in our family for a few generations. Her powers... Well, they can't be telekinesis, and she doesn't teleport either. Nope, not healing, she can't even bandage her own wound. Time control, don't think so. Prophesying isn't it either, which leaves mind control. That's probably why she was ordering around the wolves and commanding that Luhan guy to drop the knife.
 
          Well, she was probably safe now, because no more words of fear or anger were coming from her. I tried to send thoughts to her through my amulet, but I think that this thing only works one way. I climbed into my blanket,  feeling better because I knew that her power was strong enough to protect her, at least for now. With the amulet in my hands, I quickly drifted off to sleep.