Chapter 5

Peppero Boy
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 5: A Warrior’s Challenge

 

Because that is all we can do. It is our last resort of defending ourselves against any threat. If we don’t see it then it also cannot see us. If we don’t acknowledge it, then it is not real. We are always scared. Even the brave ones are. Thus, bravery is to admit. Bravery is to face the unbiased truth and not the truth we try to tell ourselves.

 

A ringing phone broke the silence inside the almost empty bus. It remained ignored to the annoyance of the few commuters. An elderly man walked up to the girl in the farthest corner and tapped her lightly at the back. “If you don’t want to answer that please turn it off.” he snapped then went back to his seat.

 

That was the only time when Ji hyo realized what the distant ringing was. She must have been staring outside for god knows how long and she had missed her stop, lost in oblivion.

 

“Finally! Where had you been Cheon Seung Im?” shouted the person on the other line. She was indeed in trouble, balls-deep and drowning in it. Now she also has to answer to her best friend who never uses her real name unless she’s beyond redeeming.

 

“I’m sorry… really sorry?”

 

“You better be. You really owe me big time. Your mother is a devil who can smell lies a mile away. I thought I was dying you brat!”

 

“Eyy but you’re the best excuse generator in the whole world oppa and mom is a self-proclaimed saint. Though I’d pay anything to see her face if you tell her you think she’s a devil.” A loud exasperated sound similar to a whine echoed. Ji hyo could almost imagine the older man massaging his temple, eyes tightly shut. She started a silent countdown knowing her oppa won’t give up on her. Not now. He loved her too much for him to cast her out.

 

1… 2…3…

 

There was another sigh. It took her some effort not to make a triumphant sound though her face was plastered with a big grin.

 

“Fine. All right, brat, just go home. I told her you were stuck helping out for a charity mission and had probably forgotten to charge your phone. She bit it when I said ‘oh ma’am, you know how Seung Im gets when she’s doing voluntary work especially for abandoned kids’.” Jaesuk said in that cajoling singsong voice of his that will placate anyone, even her mom. He was the best thing that happened to her and she’s still thankful that her mom convinced (threatened) her to join Helping Hands. It was boring although it was a big help since they literally give you a helping hand whatever your problem is. Jaesuk himself took her in under his wing and from then on, he became Ji hyo’s shield and big brother. “It’s true in a way so don’t try to deny it. You like the club even if you always complain. You know, I still wonder what you’re doing in your major when it’s clear that --"

 

“Oppa… that’s being pushy. You are friends with mom, so you also know why.”

 

“I do… that’s why she’s definitely not a saint. Anyway, she sounded content and I think you’re off the hook. By the way, I haven’t seen you for a while so I expect you on our donation drive tomorrow.”

 

“Do I really have to go there oppa?”

 

“Don’t use that tone with me, Seung Im. No excuses… she was that terrible to me so tomorrow you’re helping us. I think I’m sapped.” The older one said with a heavy emphasis on her real name. Most people just call her Ji hyo after adapting it from her drama club days. She cringed internally. Although she’s already safe from her mom, it won’t do if her oppa is mad at her. That’s more terrifying considering the barrage of weapons and secrets he holds over her.

 

“Where had you been anyway?”

 

“It’s not really… I got lost.” Ji hyo let the unintelligible retort and snicker from the other pass before continuing. “I really got lost and I was so tired I fell asleep on the bus. That’s why I haven’t answered… I almost got assaulted (well it wasn’t really far from truth) by some crazy ajusshi in weird costume… but don’t worry, I am okay. I’m really, really sorry, op-pa, neh? Forgive me?”

 

There was a long sigh from the device and Ji hyo slowly broke into a grin. “O-op-pa?”

 

“Okay, fine Ji hyo-yah. Still, you have to pay me a visit here tomorrow and bring snacks! Araso?”

 

“Of course oppa. You’re really my only and bestest friend… gomawo, oppa.”

 

“I know, just go and rest. Call me if there’s anything, neh?”

 

“Of course oppa… I’ll surely bother you whenever I can.”

 

Ji hyo sighed and jumped out as soon as the bus stopped. Thinking she couldn’t get lost if she just walked straight ahead, she started heading home. The breeze was cool but it was comfortable. The dim lights and the noise of the city made the ambiance similar to a drama. As if she’s shooting her own.

 

But in dramas, the hero would watch the heroin brood… he’d look sad and he’d want to comfort her. He’d come to her after a few… it will rain, petals will fall… the moon would look so bright. It would be beautiful even if it’s not a happy thing.

 

Unlike in real life. There’s no creepy main lead watching. You’re alone… with your imagination and when you wake up it’s even messier than before.

 

Ji hyo laughed quietly. She should have taken creative writing or went into film making where her thoughts and scenarios would be of use. Today, she barely escaped but how about the next time. She couldn’t be always lucky and Jaesuk could not forever hide her. In the first place, this shouldn’t have been a problem at all.

 

She would avoid that area. She wouldn’t go back. She’d go to school escape this thing and obey her mom then it will all be fine. No need for an anti-hero who looks good in chains and leathers.

 

But if there’s one thing Ji hyo’s good at, it was denying and lying to herself.

 

Damn you Kim Jong kook!

 

------/-----

 

“Will you stop staring Seung Hoon hyung? You’d fall in love with me and I’d hate to break your heart.”

 

“Oh brother, too late. And you know, I can stop staring but I wonder if you also can stop thinking about her.” Seung Hoon received a sharp glare. “I don’t care if you think me cheesy, but I have seen how you looked at her all evening. You’re attracted and that is something. Kim Jong kook, finally feeling something -- that should earn you a headline and the whole front page. Big news indeed, bro.”

 

“Shut up hyung.”

 

“But little lady’s pretty don’t you think? Why would you go with Sae yoon noona and not with little lady? It can’t be the money, pfft; if you wanted that you would have gone for the richer ones long ago…”

 

Jong kook knew his friend won’t shut up and it doesn’t help that they live in one apartment. He can’t kick the other out and it’s still too early to go to work. He sighed and fixed his stare at the bouncer. “What do you want me to do so you’d stop blabbering about her hyung?” the widening and the mad glitter in the older man’s eyes made Jong kook wince. Anyway, he hasn’t said yes to any deal yet so he can just scrap it if the conditions were so terrible.

 

“Actually, I have the most wonderful idea about that. It’s easy…” Jong kook now regrets he even suggested this to the older man. The glint of mischief in Seung Hoon’s eyes confirmed that he could only answer yes to anything the bouncer asks. “Now listen Jong kook-ah, if little lady bids, don’t reject her.”

 

Jong kook stared at his friend in confusion.

 

Bid? Her?

 

The muscled man burst into laughter clutching his tummy and rolling on the floor. When he finally managed to stop and breathe, he grinned. “As if she’d do that! Deal hyung. That’s so easy.”

 

The smile Seung Hoon gave him was disconcerting but Jong kook was confident the girl wouldn’t ever have the courage to do that.

 

If she did, then, that would be interesting.

 

-----/-----

 

“Hey Ji hyo, let’s go have dinner before you go home. Don’t worry about your mom. She already knows you’re with me.” the senior said sticking his head in the stock room where a cramped Ji hyo was busy doing inventory.

 

She smiled brightly as she stretched her back, popping some muscles along the way. The work was killing her and it was boring as hell but of course, she voiced out none of those. She owed Jaesuk so

Please log in to read the full chapter