Dance, Dance and Dance

Hourglass: Behind Story

 

Chaerin and Yumi made their way to an empty practice room.

“Can we use it?” Chaerin asked.

“Sure, it’s empty.” Yumi said and put down her backpack. She looked at Chaerin. “Should we begin with stretching first?” Chaerin sighed earning a chuckle from the older girl.

“Stretching really helps in dancing.” Yumi said as she did a split.

“What if my muscle is too sore to dance?” Chaerin asked as she attempted a split.

“Can you stop complaining?” Yumi asked. Chaerin was taken aback by the sudden seriousness in her voice. “You wanted me to help you yet you complain so much. Go back home if you don’t want to do this.” She said.

“Mianhae…” Chaerin said softly.

“Fine, you have to choose a song to dance to. The maximum is 2 minutes. Should I choreograph it for you?”  Yumi asked. Chaerin nodded.

After an hour, Chaerin sighed.

“Can you remove the lock and pop move? I really can’t do that.” Chaerin said.

“That’s why you have to practice.” Yumi said. Chaerin got up and tried again.

After another hour, Chaerin was finally able to do the basic for popping.

“Charaeso, charaeso…” Yumi clapped her hand.

“What time is it?” Chaerin asked.

“It’s 11. Why?”

“I have vocal lesson. Gomawo Yumi yah! I’ll see you later.” Chaerin said as she ran out from the practice room.

“Hmm, now I need to think for my performance.” Yumi said and she started to choreograph for her own.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Two Days before the Evaluation

 

“Didn’t you practice at home?” Yumi asked as she watched Yumi popped.

“No, I don’t have time.”

“Yumi yah!” A cheerful voice said at the door. Stephanie frowned. Chaerin bowed at her.

“Unnie, waeyo?” Yumi asked.

“Nothing, Soomi unnie and I were going to practice for the evaluation. We thought we want to ask you to watch us…” she said.

“We can perform as duo?”

“Yeah, but I see that you’re teaching that kid again…never mind then.” She said and waved.

“Do you want to perform with me?” Chaerin asked.

“But I already have my own steps…” Yumi said.

“Well I thought if we performed as duo I’ll have lesser moves than now.”

“No, you and I have practiced. It’ll be a troublesome to change the steps.” Yumi said.

“Then can you show me your performance?” Chaerin asked. Yumi hesitated for a second but smiled. She the song and started dancing to it.

“Wah, daebak!” Chaerin said and Yumi laughed.

“How did you learn to pop and lock?”

“My oppa taught me.” Yumi said smiling.

“Oppa?”

“Oh, he’s not my real oppa. He’s a guy that I called oppa.” Yumi explained.

“I thought oppa means brother.” Chaerin said.

“Yes, it is. But if you’re close with a guy that is older than you, you’ll call him oppa.” Yumi explained.

“Oh…” Chaerin nodded. So that was why Changmin asked her to call him oppa. The door opened and an older girl walked in. She spared an indifferent glance at them and put down her backpack. Yumi had gotten on her feet and bowed at her.

“Annyeong haseyo, Sehee sunbae.” She said and glanced at Chaerin who was still sitting down on the floor. Chaerin quickly stood and bowed at her too.

“If you’re not going to practice then get out.” Sehee said coldly.

“Um, we’re going to practice, sunbae.” Yumi said. “Do you want to use this practice room?” she asked. Sehee didn’t answer her obvious question and started warming up.

“Yah, do you still want to practice?” Yumi whispered to Chaerin. Chaerin nodded. Yumi sighed. “Ask her then.” She mouthed. Chaerin was confused. Why was Yumi looked a little intimidated with this girl?

“Um, can we use this room too?” Chaerin asked. Their eyes met through the mirror and Chaerin wanted to run away from her cold stare. The older girl rolled her eyes and ignored them.

“Can we?” Chaerin asked again.

“Is this room mine?” Sehee asked rising her tone a little. “No. So use it.” She said.

“Practice quietly…” Yumi whispered. Yumi sat down on the floor and watched Chaerin danced. Chaerin glanced at the older girl as she choreographed her dance steps. The older girl caught her staring and Chaerin lowered her gaze. The girl scoffed and continued doing her routine.

“Yah, continue your practice.” Yumi said.

“I’m tired.” Chaerin said.

“Stop whining.”

“I’m hungry.” Chaerin said.

“Fine. I need to practice too.” Yumi said and left the practice room leaving Chaerin with Sehee. Chaerin sighed and the music as she practiced her dance steps. Sehee had stopped practicing and sat down on the floor. She watched as the younger girl danced.

“I wonder how she got in…” Sehee said, amused.

“Sunbae, did I disturb your practice?” Chaerin asked as she finished dancing.

“If you can’t dance, at least have some emotion on your face. Make eye contact with the judges to show that you’re confident.” Sehee said.

“Ne, kamsahamnida sunbae.” Chaerin said.

Sehee’s phone rang and her expression darkened. She quickly answered it and ran out from the practice room.

“Hmm, I wonder why.” Chaerin said but shook her head. She needed to practice. This time, she danced again with the advice that Sehee gave to her.