We Can Wish

Hourglass: Behind Story

 

July 2004 – Hourglass Waiting Room, KBS Building

 

Hourglass was currently promoting their first single, ‘Dancer in the Rain’. Soomi and Mai were singing at the far end of waiting room, harmonizing their voice. Eunsung was busy texting her boyfriend, Junyoung, without knowing what he was doing behind her back. Sehee was memorizing her lines for her Forbidden Love while Yumi was nowhere to be seen.

“Where’s Yumi?” Daejung, their manager asked. Sehee looked up from her script and glanced around. She shrugged and Daejung pinched the bridge of his nose, irritated.

“You’re the leader right?” he asked and Sehee sighed.

“Yes, but I’m not her mother.” Sehee replied.

“Go find her.” He said and Sehee got up from the couch and went straight to DBSK’s waiting room. She was right, that maknae was chatting happily with her Yoochun oppa.

“Yumi, Daejung is searching for you,” Sehee called from the door. Yumi exchanged goodbyes with Yoochun and happily skipped to where Sehee was.

“Can you please not go anywhere without telling me or the manager?” Sehee asked as they made their way back to Hourglass’s waiting room.

“I’m sorry unnie,” she said.

“And you and Yoochun. Don’t even think about dating him.” Sehee stated and Yumi’s face reddened.

“Unnie-we-we’re not-where,” she stuttered. How can the leader actually know? Was it written all over her face?

“Besides, he’s a playboy. I don’t want you to bawl your eyes out when he breaks up with you.” Sehee said and entered the waiting room, dropping the conversation. It didn’t really matter what her unnie said to her. Yumi has liked Yoochun ever since she first bumped onto him, when they were still trainees. She must admit that he has a playboy image, but maybe that was because he is a pretty boy and people made up rumors about him.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

September, 2004

Hourglass was in China, promoting their second single, ‘Believe’. They were having an interview for their single on one of the top rated show in China.

“Hourglass is a rising star in Korea. How was it like, to work in China?” the host asked.

“It’s almost the same. Both of the staffs are friendly and helpful. And it has been a while since I return here, so it’s nice.” Sehee said trying to hope her voice didn’t betray her true feeling.

“Have you met your parents?”

“No, I still haven’t gotten the chance. Besides, my father is quite busy. I did pass my school on our way here, it was nice.” Sehee said. Hmph, she hoped she’ll not meet her father or ‘mother’ at all. Though, if she got the chance to meet her brother, she’ll grab it. She missed him so much.

“Is learning Chinese hard for most of you?”

“Yes, because we have to be precise on our pronunciation or it will mean another words.” Eunsung said.

“The writings too. We have to be careful with it.” Mai said and Yumi nodded.

“What about the food?”

“The food is the best.” Yumi said cutely and the host smiled.

“Okay, let’s move on with Hourglass’s second single, ‘Believe.’ Can you explain the song for us?”

“Believe is a beautiful song and it doesn’t have a powerful feeling like Girls on Top. It’s about lovers who have…” Soomi turned to Sehee as the elder girl whispered the words in Chinese to Soomi’s ears. Fans screamed, and Sehee fought the urge to roll her eyes. They were informed that there were lots of SeMi shippers in both China and Korea as both of them are close on or off stage. Fans’ imaginations are so wild, Soomi had told her once. “…those lovers who have long distance relationship and even when the girl hears that her boyfriend is cheating on her, she still believes that he doesn’t.” Soomi chuckled.

“She’s also trying to convince herself that their relationship is still going strong.” Sehee added and laughed.

“What do you think of a long distance relationship?” The girls looked at each other. “Sehee?” The host asked.

“Well, I think both parties need to really trust each other. And you have to make sure that it isn’t only you who is being faithful…” she said thoughtfully.

“If you’re in that kind of relationship, will it last?”

“If I want it to last I will make an effort to save the relationship. But if he doesn’t want it anymore, what’s the use of keeping it?” Sehee shrugged.

“I don’t think I’ll last in a long distance relationship.” Soomi laughed.

“Why?”

“Please don’t ask me~” Soomi said cutely, before laughing.

“I hope we will last,” Eunsung said truthfully and laughed, embarrassed.

“I don’t know…I hope so.” Mai said laughing. “I didn’t want to think about love at this moment. I had just built my career.” She said in a more serious tone.

“What about the youngest member?”

“I will hope for it to last, but because of the schedule and all I think we will grow apart and eventually end it.” Yumi said and the members about her comment.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~**~**~*

Hourglass returned to Korea in late November and both of them acted in Banjun drama. Besides appearing in variety show, they have to improve their Chinese and also learn new language, Japanese. It was harder than being in school, as Yumi had said. Yumi and Yoochun had grown closer as Hourglass and DBSK had some classes together and this somewhat worried both Yunho and Sehee.

That day was a miracle. Their Japanese teacher was sick and everyone just spent the day in the dorm, sleeping. They were also given their cell phones and they were able to call their families.

Eunsung was busy trying to call Junyoung but he didn’t answer any of her calls. It was noon and he couldn’t be sleeping. Did he change his number? Eunsung bit her lower lips and held back a frustrated sigh. Was he mad at her? She hadn’t called him for more than four months…

She looked up when the door opened and her leader entered it. Sehee paid no attention to the younger girl and climbed on her bed. Her phone vibrated and she smiled as she read the text message.

“Stop staring.” Sehee said flatly and Eunsung’s face reddened. 

“Jongjin ah~” Sehee sang, answering her phone. “Hey, oppa.” She said.

Eunsung squinted and wondered who she was talking too. Sehee had a smile on her face and if she wasn’t wrong…the leader was actually talking to her boyfriend. But maybe he was a close oppa to her. The leader couldn’t possibly break the rule right?

“Yeah, I’m free…I know…No…I would love to…” she murmured to her phone, and turned her back on Eunsung. “I’m going to sleep, oppa. Love you.” She said and ended the call.

Eunsung’s attention moved to her phone as it vibrated and she excitedly opened the text from Junyoung.

From: Junyoung <3

Let’s end it. I don’t want you to call me anymore. Or I’ll tell the world that you are dating me.

She couldn’t hide the surprise look on her face. She sat there, staring at her phone screen blankly. ‘It couldn’t be…’ she thought. ‘How can he break up with me?’ She was too shocked to cry her heart out. She ran her hand through her hair frustratingly. She felt betrayed. For this past months, she has been working so hard so that she might get a day off and she could meet him. How can he…she didn’t want to think anymore.

“What’s wrong?” Soomi who has just entered the room asked. Eunsung glanced at Sehee and then showed her text conversation to Soomi.

“You’ve-” Soomi stopped herself and turned to Eunsung.

“Good, you don’t need any distraction.” Soomi said coldly surprising Eunsung. If Sehee was the one who said it, it’ll make more sense.

“Don’t you understand why we can’t date? Because it involves feelings! And I don’t think you’ll handle this brilliantly.” Soomi sighed. “If fans get to know about this, you’re doomed. Be thankful that he ended it.” She said and waked the leader up.

“Unnie, where did Yumi go?” Soomi asked and the leader rubbed her eyes and groaned.

“What am I? Her babysitter?” Sehee hit Soomi with her pillow and shooed her out. Soomi pouted and turned to Eunsung.

“At least the manager didn’t know about this.” Soomi muttered to her and Eunsung sighed. How is she going to live through this?

 

November 30, 2004

Hourglass and DBSK were on the filming set to film the MV for their collaboration, ‘Wishing.’ They were paired up as:

Yunho – Sehee

Jaejoong – Soomi

Yoochun – Yumi

Junsu – Eunsung

Changmin – Mai

It crossed Mai’s mind that maybe SM kicked Chaerin out so that Hourglass and DBSK can be paired without any difficulties but she shrugged it off. She was wearing casual clothes and was sitting by the piano. She greeted Changmin who was her sunbae and oppa and while waiting for the staffs to set up the camera and everything, they had chatted about themselves. Changmin was rather cold at first, but Mai was friendly and they did have a great time while filming it.

The storyline for them was simple, Mai was losing her voice and Changmin helped to cheer her up.

 

It was quite meaningful for Soomi as she had filmed it at her mother’s grave. It has been a while since she has been there, and her tears were real. Jaejoong just stared at the gravestone blankly, wondering what it would feel like to lose someone that he loves.

 

Yumi was glad that she was paired up with Yoochun and the filming took place in SM building to make it more realistic. Their storyline wasn’t as sad as the first two, it was cute. Yumi had a crush on Yoochun who was her sunbae but he only sees her as his dongsaeng. Yumi reminded him of his dead younger sister and both of them spent some qualities time together. The director praised Yumi for her acting and Yumi just kept it silent that it was actually her true feelings.

 

Eunsung thought it was ironic that Junsu’s and her storyline was about him breaking up with her so he could concentrate on his career. Eunsung had let out heart-breaking sobs that she had held for months since her break up.

Once they were done, the staffs and Junsu complimented her acting. She really hoped it was just an act, but it was real. She wished silently that she will find someone that can make her smile the way Junyoung did.

 

Yunho and Sehee. Straight to the point, their only wish was that they can be the best leader and lead the group to the top of success. The filming took place on SM building rooftop itself.

 

We can wish, without knowing what will happen next. We can always dream, without knowing how cruel the reality is. Life will give you tests, only then you’ll learn the lessons.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

When the MC announced the winner of ‘Newcomer Awards’, Sehee sighed in relief as Hourglass’s name was announced. She saw Yunho did the same when DBSK was announced too. They both knew what would happened if they didn’t get the award.

 

Yumi was crying while laughing, she had proved it to her umma. Mai was in tears too, her dad must be proud of her! She couldn’t contain her happiness as she hugged all the members. Eunsung was smiling, calming down the crying Mai. Soomi grinned happily as she sent a grateful prayer, that one day, they could make it big.

 

-End of 2004-

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

LMAO. I know it isn’t that good and I can’t wait to get on 2006 and above. That’s when Hourglass has grown up and become more matured. I’m sorry if I didn’t describe more and I hope you enjoy this chapter. And I'm sorry for not updating! I'm making your profiles and a 'Wikipedia' page of Hourglass. XD