Chapter 1 - Invitation

Screw This Thing Called Love

The night is young as the small sparkles of the glistening stars shine above. Within their hands they hold a well made ivory colored invitation card outlined in delicate lacing. The thin tracing of the fabric accompanied by the familiar school crest in the centre tickled their fingertips, adding an odd sense to how they were feeling at that time. They stare at the font of each of the words as if they had just confronted something that they had been waiting for all this time.

Although hesitating to accept the invitation for a split second, in the back of their minds they truly did wonder how the other was doing…not because they still gave a damn, but because they wanted to witness whether or not the other was suffering like how they hoped for.

 

 

SOOYOUNG’S POV

 

I don’t understand the whole concept of high school reunions. If people wanted to stay in touch in the first place, they would have found a way to do so. Creating this kind of event where it has to be planned is point blank stupid. You need to put on your best poker face and smile at the faces who you can’t even remember because they probably got some sort of plastic surgery; which let’s say is most likely going to be 75% of the people I’ll be seeing again. Then there’s the other few who you just plain out wished to not have seen ever again. Spending a good few years back in the day with them in school was already torture enough and now I have to live that pain all over again?! Bull.

 

As much as I would have enjoyed living the rest of my life Shim Changmin free, there’s a part of me that wants to just slap that ing face of his once more. That stupid devil smile and his swollen fish lips…just thinking about him makes me want to hurl (which is a definite waste of the perfectly good meal I just had; never will I waste food just because of his unpleasant presence).

 

Today is the day which was underlined, bolded and put in italics…today is the reunion. I had my doubts whether or not to go since let’s face it, there’s a million other things that can fill today’s agenda than this piece of . I’m going because well I’m curious. Don’t ing laugh at me or think differently. It’s human nature to react this way.

 

It’s already 8 o’clock and I’m still rummaging through my closet like a mad woman. No matter what, I want to look drop dead gorgeous; not to please that of an ex boyfriend, but to show him that I’m doing a lot ing better than back then with him.

All my clothes hanging here before my eyes are too casual…nothing really different from how I dressed back in my teenage years. Am I really that lame? But that’s when I remember that for the longest time I had hidden away all the ‘scandalous’ outfits composed of skin hugging dresses, low cut shirts, and other pieces that for sure would make any guy wet their pants. I know exactly what I’m going to wear for tonight.

 

 

CHANGMIN’S POV

 

It’s been a good five years since I had seen those losers from high school. I like to erase all my memories of those years back then since I felt like I basically wasted my ing time in that hole of a place. Nevertheless, here I am standing in front of the mirror neatly straightening out one of the most expensive ties that I had bought in my mother ing life. My dress shirt was pressed perfectly as the lines are crisp, much to my delight. The bottom half of my attire aint so shabby either as I got trousers that are accenting my nicely. if I shall say so myself, I got one pretty good looking .

No, I didn’t buy all this for this occasion and no I am not quite looking forward for tonight. What I’m looking forward to is seeing that witch once more. I’m just curious…I wonder how these years have made her more uglier than how she was back then…if that is even humanly possible. Meh, whatever.

 

All I know is that I’m looking ing fine as hell and I heard the place has an open bar. I’m going to make those organizers regret the fact that they invited me.

 


===============

FLASHBACK

 

They were just fifteen years old when they first laid eyes on each other. She had just moved back to Korea after spending most of her childhood in Japan. Maybe the exotic vibe that illuminated off of her drew Changmin towards her, but all he knew was that he was transfixed upon her beauty.

 

Forgetting his own promise to himself about being a studious student, Changmin spent a lot of his time admiring the new girl from a distance and ignoring the textbooks. He was thankful to be blessed with being in the exact same class as her.

He made it his mission to speak to her before the mid way point of the year arrived. Numerous times they did in fact talk, but it always surrounded the topics of school and such. Changmin wanted otherwise; talk genuinely with her in order to get to know the person titled with the name Choi Sooyoung. 

 

That very chance arrived one odd day when the school cafeteria ran out of kimbap rolls.

 

Exhausted from gym class, Changmin was relieved to see a final roll of kimbap waiting for him at the cafeteria. In his mind nothing would energize him right back up than a plateful of various food. Screw chicks, alcohol, cigarettes, and lavish cars. All Shim Changmin needed to make him feel content was any sort of edible food. Just as he was placing the kimbap onto his tray, a hand whipped on past his and stole it away. His eyes widened and his temperature rose as rage started to erupt through.

 

“WHO THE DO YOU THINK YOU AR-”

He paused at his sentence right away when he lifted his eyes to meet the culprit.

 

Choi Sooyoung stood there before him; her eyelashes batting furiously as she continuously apologized. Her head bent low and her eyes peeked up at him. To him she was really cute. As if nothing ever happened he let it slide on by. He did the unthinkable at that moment…he allowed Sooyoung to have the last roll of kimbap. Such an action was like a miracle to the other students who knew very well how precious food was to him.

 

They sat down at the very same table facing each other. Upon Changmin’s plate was the least amount of food he had ever carried in all the school days. Sooyoung ripped through her meal as fast as lightning; not caring and not realizing that Changmin was closely watching her. He found it astonishing by the fact that she never once even offered him a piece of the kimbap. Any normal girl would do so in such a situation, but not Sooyoung. She was truly different from the rest; a fact that Changmin enjoyed. She loved food as much as him.

 

That was how it began. The walls of unfamiliarity between the two slowly chipped away as they sat there in the cold bland cafeteria of their high school. Their conversations with one another however were nothing close from being boring. The sounds of each others voices crossing through their ear drums brought both of them a sense of pleasure and happiness as small smiles quickly formed across their lips.

 


===============

 

They arrive just seconds apart from each other; however, they both take different ways to enter into the hall. While Sooyoung walked through the front doors, Changmin went through the back…both briefly missing each other for a split second.

 

CHANGMIN’S POV

 

I knew this place would be filled with dips. Damn half these guys are already balding away. I wasn’t really planning on being friendly with these freaks that are filled in this room, but I thought just maybe I’d somewhat say a friendly hello. though, that thought is totally thrown away now. I’m afraid to go talk to them in case their hair loss is contagious. I’m not stupid and I know that it is highly unlikely, but I’m just extra cautious about my beautiful hair.

 

Ahhhhh there it is…the glorious open bar. I’m fully smiling like a freak at the sight of it, but I don’t give a damn since we are talking about free ing alcohol for goodness sake. If that doesn’t make you smile then it’s probably because you drown yourself in the cheap stuff, not the good ones that blow a ing hole in your wallet (and no I’m not poor, so don’t get that idea in your head).

 

I’ve been here for about a good thirty minutes now and I still haven’t seen that witch. I swear if she really decided not to come tonight then I might be ing pissed off completely, but the open bar kind of makes up for it…just kind of. I order another round of tequila shots and this ing bartender is staring at me as if I’m crazy. I’m not even slurring my words yet, but this man thinks I’m not sober. Just give me my ing drink will ya…damn these workers you’re paid to make my drinks not to worry about my well being, besides I’m not gay so his concerns won’t do on me.

 

I chug down the shot and the sweet burning sensation of alcohol rushing down my throat has never been so relieving than now, but for some reason the feel to it all is starting to diminish all of a sudden. That’s when I spot her.

 

Choi Sooyoung.

 

I nearly choked on the little bit of tequila that was still finding its way down my throat at the sight of her. She’s still looks the same – a mixture of boring and ugly at the same time. I don’t know what the was wrong with me back then to even have the audacity to date that thing. She has on this ugly oversized brown piece of fabric which I’m guessing is suppose to be a jacket. Honestly, it looks really similar to a brown paper bag if you ask me. I couldn’t be happier at the miserably disgusting looking girl that stands near the front door. She’s still as awkward as ever…a loner at it’s best.

 

I turn around for a split second to down another shot since such a moment calls for a cheers to the thin air (since I’m not quite drinking with any of these fools around me), but when I turn back to the front that ogre is gone. Disappointment would be an understatement at how I feel right now since I was just having a blast watching her weird self. While my eyes search the front for her, there’s this figure that catches my eye. She's donning a slender black mini dress that was hugging her body closely, revealing long pair of legs that seemed to descend from the damn sky above.

I find myself questioning what the fabric of the dress is since my fingers seem to have this urge to touch the thing that fell over the womanly figure so nicely.

Is it velvet? Silk? I have no ing clue, but damnit that chick is looking good. I doubt that anyone from high school was as hot as her…she must be someone’s date. I stand up quickly preparing to charm her with my ways despite the fact that she might have a significant other, but then she turns around revealing her face to me head on.

 

THE KK?!?! CHOI ING SOOYOUNG?!?!

WQAWFSEGHRYTJPPDSKKVMMASOOWNAWINFASENFWASNFDGVSR!!!!!!!

BULL ! MAN HELL NO!

 

My feet stumble and I fall straight back down onto the bar stool. this , maybe I really am drunk…damn that tequila must be a ing masterpiece since it made someone like me lose all sense for a second. I rub my eyes vigorously as I slap myself trying to wake up from this trance that I’m in. I open them back and once again look towards the front. She’s gone. I can find my breathing returning back to normal, but I can’t help my eyes from wandering around this god damn place searching for her once more.

 

I DON’T ING LIKE HER…I JUST NEED TO MAKE SURE THAT I’M NOT OUT OF MY MIND…THAT SHE’S STILL THE UGLY WITCH THAT I SAW HER AS.

 

CHOI SOOYOUNG HOT?!? OH NO, NOT IN THIS LIFETIME SHE’S NOT!