Jinyoung's POV

As warm as Snow

-Jinyoung's POV-

                He was going to kiss her. They can’t do that. I need to do something, because I love her.

                Jinyoung-ah!. . . .I just want to say, I really like you. I really like------------------”

                I don’t like you.

                Eh?

                I don’t like you, you heard me right? I dropped out of the drama club because of you, because I don’t like being with you.

                I started to walk away from her. I helped myself not to cry. I will not cry. I made a promise that I’d not going to hurt a girl again, but I was not sure if I really didn’t make her cry. This was the consequence for hurting those girls and what I did to him and his sister; I could not love the girl I love. I sighed as I felt my eyes release hot water, running down in my face. That was the last time I talked to her.

                My name is Jung Jinyoung. 19 years old. I have no parents, they are dead. I am living on my own but my grandfather supports me for my studies. I am in my senior year and one of the most popular students in our campus, according to my friends. Everyone thinks that I am unfeeling and cold-hearted; they even titled me the ‘Frozen Prince’ because of my attitude. I don’t talk to people a lot, I prefer myself away from other people. I only have two friends in school, Gongchan and Shinwoo. I’m aloof and I hate attention (though I still get a lot of attention from people because of my looks). My greatest fear is that someone will cross the barrier I made to be separated from them, so I treat everyone very cold, aside from Shinwoo and Gongchan. I am surly even I was in middle school but it became worst when I started my junior years. Only if they know what really happened.

                I was certain that the barrier I made was strong to separate myself from people, not until I saw her. Park Soojin. 18 years old. She was in 2nd year. The first time I saw her was in freshmen orientation when I became one of the speakers. I didn’t know but the moment I stepped into the stage, the first person I saw was her. I knew her name because Gongchan told me that one of the freshmen was his schoolmate before. I considered that she’s just one of those ordinary girls I see in our school but after the event, I realized that she completely drew my attention.

                As days passed, though I sometimes think of her, I completely ignored her presence, not until I saw her looking at me while I was approaching the school cafeteria. It was like, I was the only soul she was seeing, that I actually fit and environment stood me out. She made me anxious even though I didn’t really care how people look at me. Shinwoo said to me that he always seen her staring  and sometimes following me. One of my stalkers, I said as I frowned. I was used to the idea that many girls were following me and I snubbed them, but I became aware when I heard that she was following me. She really did, as I saw her one time following me in the street, then she started looking around when I hid from her. I smiled at that moment. I thought it was obnoxious, stalking someone because I think that it’s nonsense. But then I started to enjoy being followed by her. Only by her.

                I was walking one afternoon in the hallway of our gymnasium, preparing for our physical education which was basketball, when I suddenly heard angry voices. I couldn’t help myself from overhearing the conversation when I heard my name.

                Are you crazy? Oh my gosh! You should not love him! You’re talking about Jung Jinyoung! Our school’s Frozen Prince? NAAHH! You know, you’re really lucky that you haven’t experience being near with him. Did you know that I got frostbite when I talk to him about the school paper! AHH! Soojin! I’m going to kill you rather than liking him.

                I saw her, pouting while two of her classmates were scolding her. I didn’t know that I have that image to other people. I suddenly felt worst. I didn’t mean to appear as the most miserable guy. I just didn’t like being close to people. Period. I gripped on my shirt I was holding, thinking what’s wrong if she likes me, but I quickly erased that idea. She couldn’t love me.

                “You have to join the Drama Club!” One of the girls snapped.“Jinyoung is poor in acting so I bet that he’ll not join that club this year. Oh ____! As your friends, we don’t like you to be hurt! We’re just preventing you from Jinyoung! Did you know how many girls he dumped? And don’t expect that he’ll be nice at you, unless you’re a teacher or Shinwoo or Gongchan.”

                Me? Poor in acting?I let out a harsh sigh after hearing that, quite angry, but uhmmm. Yeah, I admitted that. I was poor in acting =.=. I was too frigid and naïve so I didn’t have guts to act. I suddenly felt being challenged by what those girls saying to her. I smirked as I started to walk again. When the week for auditioning in clubs started, I auditioned the drama club, without thinking that I actually did that because of her. I thought what would her friends react when they knew I joined the club, maybe they tore Soojin in pieces. Haha~ their plans failed.

                Every weekend, I attended school because of acting workshops held by our instructors. I finally saw how she works. Soojin. We didn’t talk a lot, because I think she knew that I didn’t like talking unimportant matters to people aside from Gongchan, Shinwoo and teachers, and I didn’t have any reason to talk to her. Though we didn’t talk, probably, she’s one of the clumsiest and funniest person I ever knew. One time I asked her where did she place the scripts to be practiced because I just saw her scratching her head a while ago while memorizing but she blurted me ‘EH?! Are you talking to me?’ Well, obviously, I didn’t know if she just suffer from memory gap or my presence made her panic-stricken, but she didn’t look scared at me. I was quite happy about that, she didn’t think I’m a monster and eat her head off. She just looked dumb.

                Also one time, we coincidentally joined pacing the long hallway going to the music room (where we did our vocal lessons~ Uhmm~ for those student who were interested in singing) Well, she just hit 2 passersbies and got tripped in the floor along the way. I didn’t know if she was blind or something. Maybe she was an accident-prone area. She pouted and hissed continuously, occasionally hitting her head while we were pacing together, while I was trying myself not to laugh, still poker-faced and looking at her from the corner of my eye. In most cases, I got irritated with people who acted stupid in front of me, but when it comes to her, it was all fine. . . .  Because it was really cute. I often found myself laughing and grinning when I was alone, thinking of those times.

                At the start of the winter season, the school festival will start and so, our club prepared a stage play. I thought we’d going to present Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet, or As you like it by Shakespeare (because I’m really sick of those plays. Imagine~ they held plays again and again from those novels). I was surprised when our instructor proposed my work, the only romance story I wrote after 4 years.  It was about twins who fell in love with each other. I didn’t know how she got that story (but I was thinking that she hunted some stories from Writer’s Club’s room one night because surely the head of Writer’s Club would not allow her to possess some stories from there, and she saw my story). Thinking that many members would oppose to present that, to my surprise again, they did not. I didn’t know if they were just scared to cross me, but I was really happy that they approved. There were few things in the world that make me happy, and that I was being acknowledged because of what I did, not because of my looks.

                And so, the audition began. Our instructor tipped me that I will act as the leading man in the play and I accepted it because I was confident enough of my skills. I saw Soojin auditioned. I watched her from afar, because I thought that if she’ll see me, she’ll be blank and she can’t give her best. Okay, now I think I was the reason why she became dumb sometimes. But besides, it’s her problem, not mine. Oh anyway, I didn’t want her to suffer so I hid myself and it was not wasted, she became the lead. I felt half happy-half nervous knowing that. Happy because it was her, the only one I could act with (I didn’t know what will happen if another girl got the character, she might collapse during our practices, simply because she’s frightened of me), and half nervous, because I couldn’t help myself to look at her and I couldn’t remove her from my mind. This was alarming.

                As what I expected, she’s awkward doing rehearsals with me. Nahhh----- Of course, I know that she has a secret crush on me (and I was trying my best not to show to her that I already know). The script gave us a lot of body contacts and I bet that if I was not around, she might actually explode into billions of pieces because she was so red; as red as tomato. I still acted coolly, poker-faced every time we cut our rehearsals while I heard her cursing and breathing hard as if she got drowned from Pacific Ocean. I started to feel bad when the director began to yell her, saying how good she was during the audition and how failed she was during rehearsals. I was in urge to comfort her, but I didn’t know why I suddenly told her. . . . .

                 “I don’t have any problem with my acting; you have the problem so fix it. You’re causing trouble.”

                Man!I wanted to scalp my head when I realized what I said. That was so unnerving. I really did sometimes hate myself, because I was not good in comforting people, while making them miserable; I was the best in that department.

                 “I’m not comfortable... Mianhae.”

                She did look frightened after that and she started thumping her head like an idiot.

                “I will not bite you.”I didn’t know where I did get those words. Maybe because she seen me as a monster so I uttered that. She furrowed and pouted. Imagine that--- Ahh! I couldn’t put that into words. I chuckled after seeing her face.

                “You smiled?”She pointed at me, amazed as if my smile was phenomenal, out of ordinary.

                “And so? Is it a crime to smile?” I stopped her from thumping her head by holding her hand.  “You’ll be stupider if you thump your head.”

                She still gazed at me with amazement.

                After that time, she became lax to me. Well, I never thought that few shouts would do and I never thought that you could command someone to be comfortable with you. BE COMFORTABLE WITH ME! Ok~ I yelled that to her because her feelings towards me affected our rehearsals and it was really causing us trouble. Many people noticed too that she’s the only girl that I allow to talk to me, even with the most nonsense things (What do I you about lizards who kiss the floor at night? Is that their tradition?) up to the most controversial things (Did you know that one time Justin Bieber confess that he was a gay! Omy! Anyway, I’m not his fan. Uhmm~ what’s your point of view regarding the invasion of KPOP in Japan?). She even tried to find me at the whole campus, just to join me eating lunch. She actually prepared me bento. I was delighted, but I didn’t show it to her, still poker-faced.  We started to see each other more. We went in cafeterias and restaurants, practicing our scripts but I didn’t tell her that we were actually dating. I dropped her in her house whenever we came from school late and I was glad that she introduced me to her mother. I was still anxious on what was happening between us, because I really didn’t want to fall in love with her, or pursue her feelings for me, but it’s hard to fight back. I would think about that if I was really sure that I love her (though I know it will hurt me).

                I walked in the empty classrooms, trying to find her to walk her home. I checked every room, until I overheard voices from the last room at the hallway. I recognized that it was Soojin and a guy. I felt nervous. Did she stop pursing her feelings for me? Did she love another man? I was not surprised not to ask these questions, because I know I loved her . . .  for a very long time.

                “GAHHH! Minwoo!! This is killing me~ AIGOO~ Do you think I’ll get dumped if I confess to him?”

                I looked through the windows but keeping myself hidden. I saw her touching her heart with two hands, panting like she ran for miles though she was just sitting in the chair.

                “Maybe, because all the girls confessed to him got dumped.” The guy with him smiled. “But it’s an advantage that you can talk to him stupid things and you got nice answers from him.

                The guy chuckled after.

                “What are you trying to say?” She raised a brow.

                “You’re awesome.”The guy answered.

                I was dumbfounded. Why was she with him? With No Min Woo? With my first love’s brother?