Twice the Heartache

An Experiment

 

Seyeolsoo (3): half-angst warning
 
People would think he was twisted for loving more than one person. They would think he was crazy or insincere but that wasnt true. 
 
In the beginning kyungsoo tried to talk himself out of it but it didnt work. It was okay to fall in love with your best friend but, according to the general public, it wasnt to fall in love with BOTH of your best friends. 
 
It was hard not to, though. Chanyeol was tall and funny and he was always there when kyungsoo needed a pick me up. He had a contagious attitude and kyungsoo felt so comfortable around him. And then there was sehun and he had come along later but he was still so important to kyungsoo. Sehun was quiet and constant and his arms were comforting and he even had his moments where kyungsoo thought he was just too stupid and ridiculous but he laughed anyway. 
 
So he fell in love; with two people who were both so crucial to him. 
 
He didnt really know what he was doing, only what he felt, and soon enough he was surrounded by a swirl of confusion, a sweet moment with chanyeol melding into a leisurely one with sehun. Neither seemed to sense his unrest and yet they kept on swaying him, making his heart speed up with a smile or a touch. 
 
It was on Christmas Eve, the snow sparkling and kyungsoos heart so full of spirit and dreams, that his world fell apart.
 
"Kyungsoo-ah," chanyeol said to him with a smile, sitting in the booth across from him with sehun. "We're dating."
 
Chanyeol held up their intertwined fingers as if it would prove something that kyungsoo didnt understand. And he didnt understand because he loved them. both of them. it just made him crazier, seeing sehuns shy smile that wasnt directed at him and chanyeols large grin that was proud of something other than kyungsoos high English grade. 
 
It was scary because suddenly their affections werent directed at him anymore, but at each other. 
 
He ran away. 
 
~~~
 
He was probably being unfair and selfish, hoping against hope that his friends would split up so they could go back to both focusing on him instead of each other. But it was not like he could help it, feeling helpless himself, powerless to control his friends' feelings but also powerless to control his own. 
 
He didnt try to distance himself from them but apparently thats what he had been doing. He only realized it when sehun showed up at his door on New Years, all bundled up in the scarf kyungsoo had made him for christmas and the gloves chanyeol bought just because they matched the scarf and it was better to have a matched set than an unmatched one, right? 
 
"Hey hyung," sehun greeted, acting as if everything was normal and kyungsoo had to force himself to stop staring at his friend. It was silent again until sehun said, "can I come in?"
 
Kyungsoo stepped aside and let the younger into the foyer. It was already messy, strewn with boots and his mothers latest obsession; yakyaks (ultra ice gripper attachments for their shoes). The lights were warm and the fire crackling but he was alone for the evening, his parents off driving his brother back to college. 
 
"How have you been doing?" Sehun asked him, sitting down on the couch. 
 
Kyungsoo looked at his toes and stood close to the fire, letting the brightness blind him because maybe then he would see sehun as just a friend again. 
 
"I'm okay," he said. 
 
Sehuns chuckle wasnt humorous. "You didnt seem like it when we saw you on Christmas Eve."
 
That's because he wasnt. He wasnt ready to accept sehun and chanyeol as a couple, especially when he wanted them to be with him instead. No matter how selfish it sounded to him, it was how his heart told him he felt and it hurt to know that what he wished for couldnt happen. 
 
"I'm sorry," sehun told him quietly and kyungsoo looked over to him, his eyes prickling and dry from staring into the flames (it was successful though because sehun didnt look as pretty as he usually did). "I know you didnt expect that to happen. I guess it was mind of sudden for chanyeol and I too. But hyung, I just want you to be happy and if you're not happy with us together... I could break up with him."
 
It surprised kyungsoo that sehun would offer and the yes was on the tip of his tongue. But he didnt utter it and instead shook his head. 
 
"Then you wouldn't be happy..." His eyes started to tear. "I just wish we could all be happy. But we can't."
 
He didnt notice sehun had gotten up until his overflowing tears were being brushed away with a soft touch. "Why can't we be happy, hyung?" Sehun asked and kyungsoo didnt want to answer. He didnt want to ruin the illusion of happiness that had lasted for a week and probably would t exist ever again of he spoke his mind. 
 
"Because..." He choked out, falling against sehuns chest. "Because both of you can't be mine."
 
He could feel sehun stiffen under his fingertips but sehun didnt move of let kyungsoo go. He didnt push him away in disgust or abhorrence. He didnt reject kyungsoos revelation. 
 
Instead, with a light nudge of kyungsoos chin with his nimble fingers, he kissed his tears away. 
 
~~~
 
On their first day back to school, chanyeol kissed him by his locker and kyungsoo floundered, wondering what the hell was going on (and silently hoping he wasnt dreaming). 
 
"What was that for?" He squeaked, cheeks flushing, especially because rumors were sure to fly that chanyeol was cheating on his boyfriend with their best friend and wasnt that just the juiciest gossip of the week. 
 
"Lets give it a try," chanyeol told him. 
 
"What?" Kyungsoo asked after a pause because he had no clue what chanyeol was talking about, especially with his sly smirk and the playful glint in his eyes. 
 
"I talked with sehun," he said and kyungsoo just about tainted because holy that wasnt a good thing. "We both love you kyungsoo-yah so lets give it a try."
 
And when sehun found chanyeol kissing him goodbye, kyungsoo turned around and kissed him goodbye too before rushing off to his next class. 
 
He didnt know how it would ever work out but, as chanyeol said, they would try because two lovers was better than none at all.  
 
~~~
OTL what did i just write? Im so so sorry. Its totally not my fault. Well mostly. I mean I'm the one who caved and wrote it. So whyyyyyyyy did I write thisssss????? I hope I didnt scar anyone. 
So yeah I've never written a three way relationship/ or even a love triangle. I just don't get how someone could love more than one person DX but I did my creepy research for this.