A Language Medley

An Experiment

 

Kray (krislay):
 
They were there together through every ordeal, every hardship. And somewhere along the way, they fell in love. 
 
As someone who spoke limited korean, living in Korea was difficult. He arrived in the country, looking for opportunities that he couldn't get back home. Freedom to live how he wanted instead of by his parents rules, the ability to know what was going on in the world instead of it all being censored. 
 
But for lay it was still hard to decide to move because the language barrier was great and it almost didnt feel worth it. 
 
Until he moved into a two person apartment and met his roommate. 
 
Kris was also from china, living in Korea because his business had relocated him. They were similar in their inability to communicate in the foreign language and the wish to be more mobile and free of restraint.
 
They lived together because it was easiest, rent payments were half what they would be and living with someone he could understand was a huge plus. They learned korean word by word together, using flashcards and textbooks late into the night even though lay was already tired out from graduate school and kris from his job. 
 
Slowly, life got easier and the dreams hed had when coming to Korea were being recognized. His parents rarely contacted him because they were penny pinchers, always looking to save an extra cent. International calls were expensive and he eventually found that his whole life was in Korea and that china was behind him. 
 
Even after he and kris learned korean, they still stayed up late together and just talked, mixes of Chinese and Korean that would have completely confused anyone else but somehow made sense to both of them. It was one of those sorts of exclusive "just us" things that made lay feels even closer to his roommate. 
 
On Friday nights, after a long week, lay would usually come home and neglect his homework, instead slipping a DVD into the player and starting it up. Kris would get home with dinner, take out from whatever restaurant was closest to his work that was still open, when he was halfway through and they would stay up, finishing the movie and eating together.
 
Kris would loosen his tie and his jacket and rest his head against the back cushions, his blond hair bumping and his eyes closing. Usually he would fall asleep and even after the movie was over, lay would just stare at him because his face was smooth and youthful and unworried in his slumber. The only sound was the ticking of the clock and the thump of his heartbeat in his ears and time would seem irrelevant. 
 
Kris would wake an hour later and he would pretend that the movie had just finished. Lay would clean up their dinner while kris went off and changed lazily into pajamas. 
 
Lay was always left alone in the silence, staring off into space with no objective. He was never sure what to do at this time because even though the week was hard, he wasnt tired yet and he wouldn't be for at least an hour. So he retired to his own bed and listened the the sounds of kris' deep breathing through the wall. 
 
~~~
 
Maybe it was kris' genuine smile that finally did it. Or maybe it was his laugh or the way he would just look at lay and he would feel almost under his roommates gaze. Or maybe it was the way lay completely trusted his friend. 
 
Whatever it was, lay woke up one day and realized that he was irrevocably, head over heels in love with kris.
 
It was a startling revelation and he wondered why it happened, but then he realized it didn't really matter. All that mattered was that he did.
 
It was an awkward confession, when he finally got around to it. It took courage to tell kris how he felt and just hope that nothing would really change because what they had was nice and it worked for him. 
 
But kris kissed him when he said it and he kissed back and suddenly they were more than friends, more than roommates. 
 
It wasnt like their schedule changed but lay made more time for kris in his life and he got texts from his boyfriend frequently, just asking how he was doing or how classes were. It never failed to make him smile. 
 
They would still watch movies on Fridays but now, kris would sidle closer to him and his body heat was so welcome pressed against lays side. Kris could make him blush with a couple words, make him elated with a single touch, soothe him with one kiss. 
 
He never pretended to comprehend what they had. Never thought to wonder exactly why it came about or how they ended up this way, leaning on each other for support in a foreign country. 
 
He never questioned because it just made sense. Love was simple. And he loved kris. 
 
~~~
Imma write a derp squad three way now cuz someone suggested it. I dunno how someone can love two people equally but whatevs. I can't believe I just researched plyamorous relationships D: