One, Two, Three

Stuck in Love

 

- Jiyong had only one night to let him know -

 

Six years. It had been six long gruesome years since he had fallen over the boundaries of affection for his bestfriend. No, friendship wasn’t enough to describe what he felt for him. It was something else, something he refused to give a name to until it was too late to turn back. And yet after months of self-debate he came up only with one conclusion.

 

That he had fallen in love with his bestfriend, Choi Seunghyun.

 

And to make matters worse, said bestfriend was about to leave for college.

 

The moment Seunghyun barged into his room one night (his parents didn’t mind, Seunghyun was already part of the family anyways), he had never seen such a smile on Seunghyun’s face. At first he taught that Seunghyun had found it, he had found the one that he’d court, the one that he’d ran after to, but Jiyong was wrong. It was much worse than that.

 

Seunghyun came in to tell him that he had gotten that scholarship at that University he had always wanted to attend. Unfortunately though, it was thousands of miles away from Jiyong.

 

But Jiyong tried, he tried to put up the best smile he could give but he couldn’t. Instead he cried, and Seunghyun mistook it for tear of joys so he cried along with him. He was so stupid. They were so stupid.

 

Two weeks was the timeframe that he had. Two weeks was all he needed to persuade Seunghyun that he was making a big mistake. That getting unto that beat up car that his parents had gladly provided him was the worst decision he could possibly make.

 

But Jiyong couldn’t. How could he? When this was the turning point Seunghyun had always wanted. He can’t keep him forever, he has no right. Seunghyun has his own goals and dreams to pursue and by the looks of it, Jiyong wasn’t one of them.

 

So Jiyong gave up on the first day of those two weeks. He couldn’t bring himself to be that someone that would hold Seunghyun back. Instead, he wanted to be that someone that Seunghyun would look back to and say, “Thank you for pushing me.”. He wanted to be that bestfriend that Seunghyun needed at times like this. So he did.

 

Yet with each day passing, the end was coming near. Until there was only one more day. One more night.

 

And Jiyong couldn’t take it anymore.

 

~~~

 

“Ji, are you even listening to me?” Seunghyun whined as he rolled over to the side, catching his bestfriend staring out to nowhere again.

 

They were at the rooftop of their apartment building. Instead of spending their last night going out and drinking, Jiyong had opted to just watching the night sky above go by, together. In the end, they ended up laying here, five stories high, cold wind brushing over them, the hard concrete floor beneath with only a thin blanket in between them but neither of them cared. It was about being with each other that counted, however, at the moment, Jiyong’s not doing a very good job at it.

 

“Ji!” Seunghyun nudged his bestfriend, who up until now was still staring at nowhere. The physical contact brought Jiyong back to earth.

 

“What?” He asked as he turned his head to the side to catch Seunghyun staring back at him.

 

“Did you even hear anything I just said?” Seughyun whined again as he completely turned his body to the side.

 

“Sorry,” Jiyong shifted to his side too, his back was starting to hurt from the hardness of the rooftop floor, now both teens where facing each other.

 

“What were you thinking about? I thought we’re going to spend this night together? Then I catch to staring off at nowhere. Tell me.” Seunghyun leaned in a little closer, that infamous smirk on his face, Jiyong knew that look, it was something he was supposed to get used to a long time ago but he didn’t. Instead, a shifted his gaze at something else and took a gulp.

 

“Aha! You’re blushing! You’re not telling me something.” Seunghyun whined again, he could be such a big baby sometimes. Okay, all of the time.

 

“I’m not!” Jiyong replied. But really, he was.

 

“Then what were you thinking about, huh?” Seunghyun eyed him suspiciously.

 

“Nothing important.”

 

“You’re still a bad liar, Ji.” Seunghyun laid flat once again on the blanket and folded his arms behind his head. He signed as he stared back at the dark sky above. “I'm your bestfriend, you shouldn’t hide things from me.”

 

With that Jiyong’s heartbeat quickened its pace. Seunghyun had just caught him in the act. He had was disappointed at him.

 

But Hyunnie, it’s not something that you should know.

 

So Jiyong sighed as well.

 

But I guess, since you’ll be moving away tomorrow.. you might as well know.

 

“You’re right.” Jiyong whispered. “I was thinking… about how to get someone to like me back.. and I was wondering.. if you’d help me out on that. Since you know.. you’re experienced in this kinds of things.”

 

With that, it sparked an interest in the other boy. Which was what Jiyong was hoping for.

 

“What is this? Are you in love?” Seunghyun turned back to his side, all thoughts of what happened a few moments ago disappear in a flash.

 

Jiyong blushed at the sudden interest and refused to look Seunghyun directly in the eye.

 

“Yeah, I guess you can say that.” Jiyong muttered under his breath.

 

“Who?”

 

“It’s a secret!” Jiyong looked up almost immediately. That disappointed look from Seunghyun was back again and Jiyong wanted none of that. Not in there last day together. “Just, I’m not really sure if that person likes me back. It’s kinda embarrassing you see..”

 

“What is?” Seunghyun asked curiously.

 

“I have always wanted.. to kiss that person. Yet I don’t know how.” Jiyong whispered again, he really didn’t know where the conversation was going but he was pushing through it.

 

“Oh, that’s easy.” Seunghyun replied. “Just don’t think too much about it. You know what, just count to three. Count one to three and just do it. With that you won’t even have enough time to think about it. A kiss is something that should be spontaneous and natural.” Seunghyuns smiled back at him.

 

“Oh.. I.. I’ll try that next time I talk to them.”

 

“Good. Man, I thought it was something huge or whatever.” Seunghyun puffed as he plumped back down on the blanket, smiling as he resumed his position with his arms behind his head. “And here I thought you were gonna cry because I’m leaving tomorrow.”

 

“Don’t be so full of yourself.” Jiyong chuckled, glad that the awkwardness was over and Seunghyun was back to his normal self.

 

 “Oh wait. Seunghyun? One more thing..” Jiyong suddenly piped up that Seunghyun immediately looked at him unexpectedly.

 

“What is it?”

 

 

“One, two, three.”