Grandma and Grandpa Jung... just what are they talking about?

Chuseok

Amber’s P.O.V.

I ran into the house close on Krystal’s heels only to find her in the doorway doing a victory dance. “haha I win, I win, I wiiiin.” She sang the words out as she continued to do a little silly dance. I couldn’t help but laugh at her performance.

“You’re cute.” She stopped at my words, a blush creeping up her cheeks as I grinned at the younger girl. I was about to say something else when I felt a strong hand come to grip the back of my neck. I yelped in pain when they pinched the back of my neck.

“My grandpa wants you in the other room Amber.” I turned around to see Jessica glaring at me, I gulped and nodded in response.

“O-okay.”

I turned and practically ran from the room as Jessica continued to glare at me, only faintly hearing Krystal’s whining voice behind me. “Unnie you scared her!”

I came to a full stop and bowed to the older man in the living room. Grandpa Jung smiled at me and gestured for me to sit across from him, I nodded and sat down cross legged across from him. I frowned as soon as I noticed the small porcelain bottle between us. He noticed my line of sight and chuckled.

“It’s okay Yiyun, it’s only a small bottle, and we should drink, it is a special occasion after all.” I nodded and reached for the bottle pouring the clear liquid for the older man before picking up my glass with two hands and watching him pour my glass. When he finished, he placed the small white bottle down on the table before raising his glass to mine.

“Here’s to my new beautiful granddaughter Yiyun!” I blushed at the older man’s words but nodded and turned my head to the side drinking the liquid down. I scrunched my face up at the taste, this stuff definitely wasn’t sweet like magkeolli. “Haha, this is munbaeju, it is very strong.” I nodded in agreement pouring another glass for grandpa Jung.

“I think I like magkeolli better grandfather.” Grandpa Jung chuckled pouring me another glass before speaking.

“That’s okay Yiyun, but we cannot make a proper toast with magkeolli, just drink a couple more with me, okay?” I nodded at the older man, not wanting to disappoint him.

“Yes grandfather.” Grandpa Jung reached over clapping my shoulder gently.

“Good girl. Now, how long have you known my Soojung-ah?”

“Um.. we met five years ago while training for our debut.” Grandpa Jung nodded before gesturing for me to take the shot of alcohol. I turned my head to the side draining the liquid from the cup quickly, still flinching at the taste. I turned back and Grandpa Jung gestured for me to fill his glass again, I did and watched as he filled my glass in turn.

“I’m glad to know that she had you around all these years. You take care of her don’t you Yiyun?” I nodded quickly.

“Yessir, I do. Like she’s my own sister.” Grandpa Jung chuckled at that.

“Well, she’s not your sister though is she?” I frowned not understanding his words. He smirked at my confusion. “My Soojung-ah, she’s always been picky you know?” I nodded. “When she was little…” he paused chuckling to himself. “She wouldn’t eat anything green!” I laughed at that, picturing my princess as a kid refusing everything green. “She got over that eventually though. But as she got older she became picky about other things. Mostly people, she’s always had the smallest group of friends, being too selective to just be acquaintances with anyone. And boys…” The man trailed off looking at me pointedly. I frowned confused at his look, did he want me to tell him about Krystal’s boyfriends? She had only had two boyfriends the entire time I’d known her and she wasn’t dating anyone right now, I didn’t know what to tell him.

“Uh-ah…um… Krystal doesn’t have a boyfriend.”  I sputtered and Grandpa Jung laughed heartily at my response.

“Relax Yiyun, I don’t want you to tell me the details of my granddaughter’s love life.” I breathed a sigh of relief that caused the older man to chuckle again. “Geonbae!”

“Geonbae.” I tapped my glass to his before turning my head to the side and pouring the liquid down my throat. I was beginning to taste the alcohol less and less with each successive shot. I knew that meant I was becoming more and more intoxicated, but it didn’t bother me so much as where this conversation was heading. With our glasses once again refilled Grandpa Jung started to speak again.

“What I mean is… like any other Grandfather, or father, I worry about my daughters and granddaughters. That they might get hurt by the men they choose, with Soojung-ah, she’s so choosy that I know I shouldn’t worry.” I nodded, Krystal always did seem to be a great judge of character. I had found it strange at first, the way she would dismiss people that she first met cause she had a “bad feeling” about them, but her feelings always seemed to be dead on. “So the person she chooses to love… I must love them too…” Grandpa Jung trailed off again looking at me pointedly. “Do you understand what I mean Yiyun?” I frowned, I didn’t, not really. Was he telling me to help her pick out a good boyfriend? I don’t know if I could do that.

“I-… not really grandfather.” He chuckled at my confused expression.

“I’m an old fashioned man Yiyun… I..” He sighed shaking his head and I watched him carefully trying to understand what he was saying to me. “I like you… just… just take care of her, okay?” I nodded, still not understanding his words fully, how was I meant to take care of Krystal?

“I will grandfather.” He smiled gently at me.

“Good girl, geonbae!” I smiled raising my glass to his.

“Geonbae!” I drank the liquid down, turning back to Grandpa Jung ready to refill his glass when a booming female voice stopped me in my tracks.

“Seobang!” I bit back my laughter at Grandpa Jung’s sheepish expression while looking at his wife. “Why are you getting Yiyun drunk again?!”

“She’s not drunk honey, right Yiyun?” I shook my head, it was true, I was tipsy, but I wasn’t drunk, at least I wasn’t yet, I don’t know how many more shots I could take though. Grandma Jung regarded me carefully for a few moments before nodding and reaching a hand out to me.

“Fine, but she’s coming into the kitchen to help prepare dinner now.” Grandpa Jung nodded in consent as I took Grandma Jung’s hand and let her lead me to the kitchen, instantly feeling more tipsy as soon as I got to my feet. Once we reached the kitchen Grandma Jung lead me over to Krystal who was busy preparing some kind of soup. “Here Yiyun, Soojung will teach you how to make jjigae.” I nodded, waving at the younger girl who rolled her eyes at me a small smile pasted to her lips.

“Did grandpa make you drink again?” I nodded and she laughed.

“I swear I have to keep you away from those men, they’ll make you into an alcoholic by the end of the week.” I chuckled and she just smiled at me, handing me some vegetables to clean and cut.

“I like your family a lot Krys.” Krystal smiled at me kissing my cheek gently before opening to speak. Before she could say anything Mrs. Jung came up behind me putting her hands on my shoulders as she spoke.

“We like you a lot too Amber.” I smiled at the older woman and she ruffled my hair gently in response before pulling me away from Krystal, insisting that I learn how to make some of the other side dishes. Mrs. Jung taught me how to make several side dishes while Grandma Jung explained the benefits of traditional Korean cooking to me. It felt nice to be included in these kind of activities, it really felt like I was part of the family. I’d known Krystal for several years, but I’d really only met her parents in passing, the only member of her family I’d really interacted with was Jessica. Jessica was super protective of Krystal and so I understood why the older girl didn’t seem to like me much.

“Yiyun.” I snapped out of my thoughts as Grandma Jung handed me some plates and directed me to go set the table. I nodded and soon we were all sitting down to eat the large meal we’d prepared. Soon Grandpa Jung had handed me a bowl of magkeolli, I looked at the bowl cautiously, turning to Krystal with a pathetic expression on my face. She giggled and nodded.

“Grandpa, I don’t think Amber should drink anymore, she was really drunk earlier.” Grandpa Jung looked at Krystal and waved a hand in dismissal.

“Nonsense, Yiyun is strong, she can handle it. Also, she has you to take care of her if she gets too drunk.” Grandpa Jung winked at Krystal and Krystal blushed in response.

“Grandpa!” He chuckled and Krystal sighed turning to her grandmother to try and appeal to her. “Grandma, you saw how drunk she was.” Grandma Jung looked at Krystal with an amused expression on her face.

“Ah look at our young Soojung-ah trying to protect her Yiyun. So cute.” I blushed at Grandma Jung’s words. “Your grandfather is right, Yiyun is strong, she should enjoy the drink, you should drink too. Someone give Soojung some magkeolli.” Krystal grimaced as one of her cousins handed her a bowl of the white alcohol.

“Yeah, plus Amber is so cute when she’s drunk.” I turned my head to see a smiling Mrs. Jung looking at me, I blushed again and Krystal sighed patting my shoulder.

“Sorry, I tried.” I nodded.

“It’s okay, sorry if I do anything stupid later.”

-Later-

“Kryssssssssssss.” Krystal laughed.

“Hmm?”

“Krysssssssssssssssssss.” Krystal chuckled again, stopping and turning her head to me.

“Yes Amber?” I smiled and poked her cheek.

“Yous princessh, mmokay?” Krystal laughed shaking her head at me.

“Okay Amber, come on let’s get you to bed okay?” I smiled and nodded at the younger girl. Krystal had drank during dinner as well, but she was better at avoiding drinking than I was and as a result the younger girl had gotten a little tipsy instead of being fully drunk like I was. We turned down the corridor that lead to Krystal’s room only to be met by a grinning Grandma Jung.

“Going to bed already Soonjungie?” There was a glint in her eyes that I didn’t fully understand, but I watched as Krystal blushed before answering.

“Yes, Grandma. Amber’s really drunk, she should rest.” Grandma Jung nodded before turning to look at me. I smiled brightly at the older woman who chuckled in response.

“She should rest, but let me talk to her for a moment.” Krystal nodded in response and Grandma Jung sent a pointed look at the younger girl. “Alone Soojung-ah.”

“Alone? Wh-… I mean… yes grandma.” Krystal turned to walk down the corridor opening the door for her room and looking at me one last time before going in. I smiled and waved at her.

“Bye krysssh!” Krystal laughed shaking her head at me before closing the door behind her. I refocused my attention when I heard Grandma Jung clear . I smiled at the older woman. “Hello Gramdma.” Grandma Jung chuckled at my grin and shook her head.

“Yiyun, I have something serious to talk to you about okay?” I nodded slowly trying to concentrate on her words.

“Yessh gramdmoth-er.”

“My Soojungie… she’s… she’s very precious to me.” I nodded. “You have to be gentle with her, okay?” I frowned not understanding but not wanting to disappoint the older woman I nodded again hesitantly. She noticed my hesitation and smiled clapping her hand on my shoulder. “You don’t understand do you Yiyun?” I shook my head.

“Sorrish… I tries.” She laughed at my words and nodded.

“Okay, it’s okay Yiyun.” She paused considering her words before continuing. “Do you remember when we made Songpyeon earlier?” I nodded happily.

“Yesh, it funs.” Grandma Jung grinned at my eager expression.

“Good, good. Being with Soojung is like making songpyeon, okay?” I frowned am I supposed to cook with Krystal? “If you add the water too quickly and you knead the flour too roughly what will happen to the songpyeon?” I furrowed my eyebrows trying to remember her words from earlier. After a few moments the words came to me and I looked at the older woman excitedly.

“Oh! Its gets hard and nots delicious.” Grandma Jung nodded.

“Right, so you have to go slowly right?” I nodded. “And you have to be gentle, right?” I nodded again. “Good, and what happens if you put too much inside the songpyeon?”

“Issh exploding?” She nodded.

“Right, so even if the filling is delicious, you must restrain yourself or it will hurt the songpyeon right?” I nodded, finally understanding Grandma Jung’s words.

“Mmokay Grandsmother. I teachs Krystal to makes the sogpyeongs.” I started to walk towards Krystal’s room when Grandma Jung sighed and gripped my arm pulling me to a stop. I looked at the older woman curiously. “Yesh?”

“That’s… that’s not what I meant Yiyun.” I frowned. What did she mean then? “I… just…” She struggled with her words and I pat her shoulder reassuringly, smiling at her when she looked up at me.

“Issh okay, I canst speaks good sometimes too.” Grandma Jung chuckled at that and put her hands on my face patting my cheeks lightly as she spoke.

“You sweet girl. I shouldn’t worry about you should I?” I shook my head.

“Nopes I is okays.” She laughed again and nodded at me.

“Yeah, you’re okay Yiyun. Just… just remember the Songpyeon, okay? Treat Soojung like the Songpyeon. Okay?” I nodded, not really understanding why she wanted me to treat Krystal like a rice cake but not wanting to contradict her.

“Okays Grandsma I will.” She smiled at me and pushed me gently towards Krystal’s room. I smiled and started to walk towards Krystal’s room. I stopped just before her door hearing Grandma Jung’s last words to me.

“And Yiyun? Make sure you listen to what she wants, okay?” I smiled brightly at that and nodded. I always listen to my princess, that will be easy.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys! Sorry for not putting any author's notes on this fic so far. That was kind of rude of me wasn't it? Mianhe, please forgive me readers. I just wanted to say thank you to all those people reading and commenting and voting on this story. And to my readers from my previous story... I'm sorry guys! This is turning out to be longer than I thought it would be... it should be done in a couple more chapters.... please don't kill me...okay? Okay, thanks! Also, I just signed up for a twitter account if anyone is interested in following me.

( https://twitter.com/LlamaPato )

Please continue to comment and read... I heart you guys... that is all.