Songpyeon

Chuseok

Krystal's P.O.V.

 

"Hey Krys! We're making sog pog!" I chuckled at Amber while raising an eyebrow at her.

"You mean songpyeon?" Amber nodded excitedly while my grandmother laughed and reached over to squeeze Amber's cheeks in her hands. I grinned, somehow this llama face had made my grandmother love her. Which wouldn't be so surprising if my grandmother hadn't hated her so vehemently at first.

-Earlier-

"Grandma, this is my-"

"What is this boy doing here? Doesn't he have a family to spend Chuseok with? Why is he here?" My Grandmother's voice was harsh and demanding, but before I could respond, she turned towards Amber who was looking on curiously. Amber's Korean had gotten better over the years, but my Grandmother was speaking quickly and her tone of voice didn't help. Amber understood she was angry but by the look on her face she couldn't figure out why. "Why are you here boy? Don't you have respect for your ancestors? You should be honoring them today! Why are you here with my Soojungie?" I watched as Amber's eyebrows furrowed in confusion, she sent an apologetic look towards my grandmother, clearly not understanding what she was apologizing for.

"Grandma, Amber is a girl. She's my band mate." My grandmother's expression softened at that but she still looked critically at the squirming tomboy.

"Why isn't she with her family?"

"Amber isn't Korean Grandma, she doesn't have any family in Korea. I wanted her to learn about Chuseok,so I invited her here. I'm sorry for not telling you earlier." At that my Grandma's scowl completely disappeared, instead replaced by a welcoming smile. My Grandmother, was if nothing else a patriot, and any opportunity she had to enlighten someone on Korean culture she loved. She happily placed an arm around Amber's shoulder and pushed her in towards the kitchen, speaking slowly and softly to the confused tomboy.

"Come! We will teach you how to make traditional Korean food! Do you know the history of Chuseok?"  I watched as Amber shook her head and my grandmother excitedly started chattering on about the holiday.

-Present-

Amber smiled at my grandmother, despite the rice flour now sticking to her cheeks. "Grandmother, what should I do now?" Amber continued to knead the moist rice flour in her hands as she spoke and my grandmother gestured for me to come over.

"Soojung, come help your friend." I nodded and washed my hands quickly before coming to sit by Amber. Amber smiled sheepishly at me as I pushed my hands into the flour mixture next to hers. I smiled back, thankful that I'd made the decision to invite Amber. In all the years before the holiday for Chuseok hadn't been so long, falling somewhere in the middle of the week and only earning us two or three days off from our schedules. So usually, Luna, Sulli and I would go to our families houses for the short break while Vic unnie and Amber would hang out around Seoul for the days off. This holiday however had fallen so that we were awarded a whole 6 days off, having this opportunity Vic unnie decided to fly to China to visit her family, Amber however hadn't looked into flights early enough and was left with nothing to do for the holiday. I felt bad leaving her around the dorm by herself and so I invited her to come with me to see my family. She was hesitant in agreeing at first, scared of being in such close quarters with Jess unnie for so long, but after some convincing she finally agreed to come along.

"Uh, sorry." I shook my head clearing my thoughts at Amber's words. I looked down and watched as her hands quickly moved away from mine, I hadn't noticed that I had grabbed her hands in the bowl while mixing the rice flour. I blushed and nodded at the older girl.

"It's okay, I wasn't paying attention." Amber nodded not meeting my eyes as her ears flushed red. I smiled to myself at her reaction, most people thought that Amber was some kind of pimp because of all the friends she had, but in reality Amber was the shiest person I'd ever met. She couldn't flirt worth the life of her, and in all of the years I'd known her, any one that she'd ever hooked up with (and that list was surprisingly short) had always taken the lead in the relationship. Amber wasn't a pimp, she was shy, and needed to be courted gently. I'd seen many potential suitors lose their chance with the tomboy by being too aggressive and scaring her off.

“Hey! How come Amber can make Songpyeon and I’m not allowed to?!” I chuckled as Jess unnie pouted dramatically in the doorway.  After many years of attempting to teach Jess unnie how to cook my grandmother had finally given up on the older girl and instead allowed her to relax while the cooking was done, an activity usually reserved for the men in the family. Jess unnie usually didn’t complain, but seeing the tomboy cooking along with the other women in the family made her feel left out. Their grandmother had after all thought that Amber was a boy at first, and yet she was being welcomed into the kitchen, an accomplishment that Jess had never acquired.

“Yiyun must learn about Korean culture, it is our duty to teach her.” My grandmother responded sternly to my pouting older sister and I chuckled at her use of Amber’s Chinese name. “Yiyun, come watch me.” Amber nodded getting up and walking over to my grandmother as she started to stuff the songpyeon and gently pinch the moon shaped rice cakes closed. “Okay, you go try.” Amber nodded again coming back to our shared bowl and rolling a small ball in her hand. I watched as she made a small indent with her finger and sprinkled some of the sesame seed filling into the pouch. Her long fingers pushing the edges of the rice cake together delicately. I reached over and moved her index fingers over the ends of the pastry.

“You have to round the edges, or else they’ll look funny when they’re cooked up.” I directed her fingers over the edges with mine, pushing down gently on her fingertips as she rubbed the corners of the pastry down. I noticed the slight hesitation in her actions and looked up to find the older girl blushing deeply as she tried to concentrate on the task at hand. I smiled, choosing to a bit more as I moved her fingers along the spine of the rice cake. I was about to direct her fingers further when I heard someone clear their throat behind me. I pulled my hands away and looked over to see Jessica raising an eyebrow at me. What? I silently mouthed to the older girl, who simply responded with a pointed smirk before turning to my mom.

“Mom, I’m going to go out to get the rest of the cooking supplies, I think Krystal should come with me.” My mother, without looking up from her assigned cooking task nodded and gestured for me to follow Jessica. I scowled at my older sister, slowly following her out of the kitchen. Damn it Jess.