Nearly Caught

Runaway Daughter

Seul Mi wished that the earth would open up and swallow her up. She had gotten so far running away from her bodyguards and now they were going to take her back to her father. She finally thought that things were looking good for her. She wanted to kill Hyun Joong for calling her name out.

 

Leeteuk, Donghae and Siwon turned to face her. But as they did, a big woman in front of her stood up quickly blocking her from her bodyguards’ view and turned to face Hyun Joong. But the woman didn’t notice a waiter coming out the double doors with a tray in hand filled with someone’s lunch. Her arm tilted the tray. The waiter tried to gain control of the tray only to make it fall straight on top of the woman’s husbands’ head.

 

With the commotion going on Seul Mi thanked God that she was saved. She took the opportunity and made a dash out the café. She made a mental note to pay Darcy for any damages. She didn’t stop running until she got in her work place.

 

She forgot she left Hyun Joong and Min Young until she saw them entering the building five minutes later. She was back at her desk and working by then. Realization struck her then replaced by guilt.

 

“What happened to you?” Hyun Joong demanded making anyone who was around stop at their tracks and look at their angry boss.

 

“I am so sorry!” Seul Mi quickly apologised sincerely.

 

“We were really worried about you,” Min Young spoke up. “Why did you run off like that?”

 

Seul Mi was stomped. She couldn’t really tell then that she was hiding from her bodyguards. She tried thinking up an excuse.

 

“I…,” Seul Mi began. Think of something!“Eh… forgot that I didn’t finish my work,” she quickly rushed whatever came in her mind. She then bit her lips for coming up with a stupid excuse. She wanted to smack herself.

 

“You…” Hyun Joong was lost in word. He thought if he heard her right. “You…” he began again. Was she crazy? “You ran because of that?” he finally said.

 

Seul Mi gave a sweet innocent smile and nodded her head. The sweet innocent smile melted away his anger as much as he didn’t want to.

 

“You’re so devoted to you work!” Min Young exclaimed not at all bothered if the excuse was lame. “That’s so cute!”

 

Hyun Joong wasn’t convinced at the excuse. He was curious what got her to run like that. He was really worried after seeing the blood drain down her face as if she saw a ghost. And when he called for her she froze up like he shouldn’t have said it. She wondered what was going through that pretty little head of hers now.

 

Seul Mi was wondering when he was going to leave. She was really bad with her lies. If he didn’t go now she was sure she was going to blurt out the truth.

 

“Hyun Joong!” a man called. She didn’t recognize him. The man then stopped next to her desk and looked from Min Young and her then back at Min Young. “There are two of you?” he said confused.

 

“No,” Hyun Joong laughed. “This is Han Seul Mi, the new receptionist,” he introduced.

 

“O,” the man made an o shape with his mouth. “I’m Lee Min Ho. Also I’m his PA,” pointing to Hyun Joong.

 

“Hi,” Seul Mi smiled in genuine. The phone rang along with another one. “I’d like to chat but I have to get back to work.” She cleared her voice and picked up the phone. “Good afternoon, Kim Asia Enterprise. How may I help you?”

 

Hyun Joong, Min Young and Min Ho made their way to the elevator. Min Young was quite all this time. She was confused at why Hyun Joong was too nice to Seul Mi. She wondered if there was something going on between them too.

 

“Min Young,” Min Ho waved him hand in front of her face snapping her out of her thought.

 

“Huh?” she looked at him.

 

“Are you okay?” he asked a little concern could be heard in his voice.

 

“Uh, yeah,” she said. She was glad that the elevator doors opened. They got out.

 

“How did Seul Mi get the job?” Min Ho asked curiously. “I’m sure I would have remembered her if we interviews her.” He scratched his head thinking.

 

“She was the late comer,” Hyun Joong said. “I interviewed her.”

 

“You gave her an interview after she was late?” Min Ho looked baffled. He knew that Hyun Joong was the type that hated people who came late. He just won’t bother with them.

 

But right now he stood there saying that he interviewed her. He wondered why he would do that. He knew if he asked Hyun Joong wouldn’t answer so he kept quiet.

 

Min Young watched Min Ho. He was somewhat shocked about Hyun Joong. She didn’t know why. She frowned. Did Hyun Joong like Seul Mi? He wouldn’t like his employees, someone had gossiped to her. The woman said that he kicked the last secretary and receptionist out because they fell in love with him. She hoped that he wouldn’t do that to her if he ever found out she loved him. The elevator stopped and they went back to their work.

 

---------------------------

 

Leeteuk frowned, thinking. He had felt her presence. For some reason he thought that the guy who was sitting by the window was calling out Seul Mi’s name. But he had said ‘Ayu’. It could be anyone. Like the woman who knocked the tray over. Her name was Ayora and had demanded who the guy was calling her name. The guy apologized saying he thought she was someone he knew.

 

Leeteuk knew she was here somewhere. The question was where?

 

“I'm getting the feeling that she’s close by,” Leeteuk said what he thought out loud.

 

“I thought it was only me,” Siwon said. “I thought I felt her presence close by.”

 

“I didn’t feel anything!” Donghae exclaimed feeling left out.

 

“We have to find her before the boss comes in two months’ time,” Leeteuk informed the other two.

 

Donghae gasped. “We won’t ever find her!” he cried out making people around the café turn to look at him strangely.

 

Siwon smacked Donghae. “Stop thinking negative. We’ll find that girl.”

 

“We really have to find her before the appointment he has with the Kim Enterprise,”

 

Leeteuk said sighing. “What girl would run away from the luxury life she had?”

 

-------------------------

 

Seul Mi thought that finally in her life she loved it. She was glad that she left that “luxury” life her father says he gives her. What her life lacked was love. And that was what she wanted. He didn’t give it to her.

 

She packed her things as she was done for the day. It was half five. She was meant to leave half an hour ago. She put on her jacket and swung her black bag on her shoulder. She glanced at her desk if she was missing anything. She wasn’t. She walked out the building and to the bus stop. She sat on the seat in between a couple and an old man and waited. She wasn’t looking out for the bus. She was looking down at her feet lost in thought. She drained out what the couple was saying. Her thought was on her father.

 

Even though her father didn’t agree with her most of the time – well actually, all the time, she still missed him. She wondered how he was and what he was doing. A loud roaring made her jump. She got off her seat. A red motorcycle just halted by the curb in front of her. The engine died down. The driver took off his helmet and grinned at her.

 

“Hello, gorgeous, how about a lift?”

 

“My mother warned me of guys like you,” Seul Mi mumbled, a smile forming on .

 

“That’s the trouble with mothers,” Hyun Joong’s grin stretched wider. A devastating dimple marked one cheek. “They never look beyond the surface.”

 

She raised one eyebrow, arched her neck, and gave him the slow once-over. “And a very nice surface it is, too.”

 

He smiled, amused with the open flirting. “So are you coming?” he asked. He loved the flirting but he didn’t like people watching as they were waiting for the bus. They were watching openly at them amused.

 

“Only if you let me drive,” she said smiling innocently.

 

That smile! He thought. Why did it always make him weak and obey her sweetness.

He hesitated. “My mother warned me about women like you.” He got off the bike putting the helmet on the seat and getting out the spare one from the back. “I presume you can ride one?”

 

“Do bears pee in the woods?” Seul Mi took the spare helmet from his hand and put it on smiling to herself that was easy. She flung her leg to sit on the bike. Hyun Joong got on feeling much better after knowing they’ll be sitting close and he gets to hold on to her.

 

“You realize what this means, don’t you?”

 

“I have the responsibility for a forty-thousand-dollar custom-built machine?”

 

“More like sixty. But that’s not the point. The real issue is that you now meet the first of my ten requirements for a perfect wife.”

 

It was Seul Mi’s turn to look confused.

 

“Long ago, I decided that I would marry a woman, who knows how to ride a motorcycle,” he said.

 

’Well, that’s something. I’m sure women would be eager to know. But at the risk of a little too much adoration we must go.”

 

She flipped her helmet shut and roared the engine to life. She zoomed away from the curb and onto the busy road.

 

By the time Seul Mi stowed the bike in front of the motel room she was staying at the sun had already set.

 

“Thanks for the ride.” Seul Mi took off the helmet and handed it over to Hyun Joong.

 

“I should be the one, who is thanking,” he grinned. She smiled.

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” She made an attempt to leave but Hyun Joong s his hand over hers and tugged her causing her to stop. She turned to face him questioningly.

 

“Aren’t you forgetting something?” he asked.

 

“Urm…” Seul Mi thought hard if she was. She frowned. “Am I forgetting anything?”

 

“My kiss,” he said.

 

A smile was quick to form on . “I’m sure you would have got it if you actually gave me that ride,” she said.

 

“But I did let you drive it,” he said eagerly giving her a puppy look.

 

She negotiated in her mind. “Okay,” she said. She leaned forward to kiss him on the cheek but he turned his head slyly making her kiss his lips. He pressed his lips on her.

She pulled back. “That was not what you were going to get.”

 

“I know.” He put the spare helmet back at its place and roared off.

 

She touched her lips. She shook her head and walked in her room.He was one great guy!