Great Opportunity

Runaway Daughter

“So how’s the interview going?” Hyun Joong asked Min Ho as he walked into the room. He looked at his watch. It was half two.

“Boring,” Min Ho muttered under his breath. Then at his friend and in a sarcastic tone, he said, “You should try this. It’s fun.”

“No thanks,” Hyun Joong let the offer slide. “Who’s the next one?”

Min Ho looked down on the long list. “Park Min Young,” he read out. He then buzzed her in. He caught his breath when she entered. “Hello,” he said.

She smiled shyly. “Hello, my name is Park Min Young.”

“Park Min Young,” Min Ho repeated still lost in his own world. Hyun Joong laughed and slapped Min Ho back snapping him back to reality. “Uh… I’m Lee Min Ho. And this is Hyun Joong Kim,” he pointed over to his left where Hyun Joong just sat down.

The interview went by with Min Ho drooling over Min Young and Hyun Joong ending up asking the questions. “Okay then, Miss Park we’ll get back to you,” Hyun Joong dismissed her.

Min Young smiled and walked out slowly. Hyun Joong was thinking of hiring her. The interview had gone great. But one thing he liked about her was that she reminded him of Seul Mi. He thought of where she might be right now.

-------------------

To Seul Mi’s dismay the cab she took was stuck in traffic. “Can’t you get through?” Seul Mi groaned. This wasn’t happening to me! She thought.

“Sorry, Miss,” the cab driver said.

She sat back on the seat in frustration. She was going to be late and she won’t get the job.

She was an hour late. She thought it was pointless coming but she just came anyways. She wanted to just see if she could get a late interview.

“Hi,” she smiled at the temporary receptionist. “I was stuck in traffic and was wondering if the interview was still taking place?”

“I’m sorry,” the receptionist sympathized. “But the interview finished few minutes ago.”

Seul Mi sighed. “Thanks, anyways.”

She turned to leave but someone called out her name. She turned to be face to face with Hyun Joong. Someone she thought she won’t ever see again.

“Hyun Joong?” she couldn’t believe her eyes. He was right in front of her.

“What are you doing here?” he asked surprised to see her.

“Job interview,” she said. “Well not anymore. What about you? What are you doing here?”

“Can’t you guess?” he laughed he waved his hand behind him.

Realization hit her. “Kim Asia Enterprise is your company!” she exclaimed. “I should have guessed that. I forgot your surname,” she admitted.

“What position are you after?” he said. She looked at him confused. “Which job did you want?”

“Oh, receptionist,” she quickly responded. She looked around the place. The receptionist was staring at her. Not only her but also people around the place were staring at her wondering who she was. “Well, I have to go now.” She turned to leave but he grabbed onto her wrist gently stopping her.

“Aren’t you going to ask me for a late interview after all I’m the boss?” he teased.

“I don’t go like that,” she told him. “I missed the interview now I have to deal with that.”

“Come on,” he pulled her over to the elevator. He pressed the button and waited.

“What are you doing?” she asked narrowing her eyebrow.

“We are going to have a private interview,” he winked.

Her eyes widened. “Listen, here,” she pulled her hand back. “I may have kissed you but that doesn’t mean I’m the type to sleep around,” she warned him.

It only made him chuckle. “I swear nothing more than a kiss,” he assured her. His eyes were dancing with laughter. She backed away as the elevator door opened. “I was joking,” he told her. “Seriously just an interview.”

She stared at him not knowing if she should trust him or not. “Only an interview?”

“Only an interview,” he held his right hand on his chest swearing.

She slowly walked into the elevator her eyes not leaving him. He got in after her. “I won’t do anything you don’t want me to do,” he added when the doors closed. She flushed. She stared at her shoes not daring to look at him. She could feel his eyes burning on her. The elevator doors opened to the top floor. She followed him out and walked into his office. He shut the door closed behind her. She stared at the door.

“Don’t worry. For someone you flew on a plane with – and I might add alone – you seem scared.”

She drew her eyes away from the door and gaped at him. “Who said I was scared?”

“Well you look afraid,” he pointed out.

“I am not scared!” she argued. He chuckled. He walked behind his desk and sat down on his leather chair. He motioned for her to sit of the opposite chair. She didn’t want him to think she was scared so she did as he asked.

“So tell me,” he began. He shifted on his chair getting comfortable. “How’s it going with you? How are you holding up in this place?”

“I’m fine,” she said.

“What about your grandmother?” he asked.

“Who?” she said, confused why he would say that. Then she realized what he was on about and clamped shut. “Erm…”

“You don’t have to explain,” he told her. “I guessed it when I saw you that you weren’t coming here for your grandmother.”

“So you’re not angry?”

“Not really,” he admitted. “Let’s get back to the interview. Why should I employ you?”

“Because I’m a damn well hard worker,” she declared. He smiled, amused. “I’m best at what I do. I’m good with communication. I’m punctual. I’m…”

“You’re hired,” he said.

She stopped and stared at him wondering if she heard right. “I’m sorry I thought you said that you’re hiring me.”

“Yes, I’m hiring you.”

She thought he was giving her it too easily. “Why?” she asked, looking at him intensely.

“Because you’re a damn well hard worker,” he grinned. She wasn’t convinced.

“Please take the job. I didn’t find a receptionist today and I think you’re going to be a good one,” he said tiredly. It was the first time she saw the rings around his eyes. She could tell now that he wasn’t having much sleep.

“Okay,” she gave up. “You should get some sleep,” she said.

“Yeah?” he arched an eyebrow smiling that she was concerned. She nodded. “I can’t get myself to fall asleep at nights.”

“Try counting sheep’s,” she offered.

“Doesn’t work,” he admitted.

She laughed that he had actually tried that. “Okay, maybe you’re just stressed out. Try thinking of something nice,” she advised.

“I will try that,” he assured her. “Nice things,” he thought out loud. “Your lips. Your kisses.”

She stood up abruptly. “I’ll leave you thinking,” she quickly said. “Thanks for the job.”

She made a move to leave but he called for her. “Wait.” She stopped at her track. “You start tomorrow from half seven,” he informed.

She didn’t like the idea waking up that early but she had no choice. She didn’t know if she’d get any job elsewhere without giving less of her information and Hyun Joong wasn’t going to pry in her last job

She was going to leave but he stopped her again. “Oh, yeah I’ll call the temp receptionist downstairs. She has to give you a tour for tomorrow.”

She nodded. He waved her off with one hand and picked up the receiver with the other. She nodded and left not before flashing him a big thank you smile. She took the elevator down to the reception. The receptionist nodded to her to follow her. She showed her where everything was. It took her an hour before she left.

Seul Mi took a deep breath when she stepped outside the building. She was grateful for her friend for having such a great cousin. Things were now looking up for her after leaving. She had been feeling that she made a mistake before. She smiled and headed back to the motel.