Small Talks

Runaway Daughter

Seul Mi paced in front of Min Young. “You let me go through the whole hour skating with powdered sugar on my face?”

 

Min Young, who was looking so together, so sleek, while she, Seul Mi had a drippy nose and freezing cramped toe. Sniffing and hobbling - she sounded like two of the Seven Dwarfs. And that’s when she remembered she still had on the skates.

 

“Do you think people would say I’m pathetic? I mean going for Hyun Joong?” Min Young asked, completely disregarding what she had just said and then didn’t let Seul Mi answer as she carried on. “I mean I get the feeling that he likes someone else.”

 

Seul Mi sat down on the bench and began yanking her skates off. “I don’t know why you think anyone would think you’re pathetic. You weren’t the one tripping over her own two feet on the ice all the while having white globe on your face. Why didn’t you tell me?” Seul Mi yanked off the second skate and looked around for her boots.

 

Min Young crossed her arms. “Why so touchy about a little bit of sugar on your face? Frankly, I didn’t even notice.”

 

Seul Mi found one boot and pulled it on. She didn’t bother to lace it up. “That’s because your eyes were elsewhere.” Seul Mi gone down on her hands and knees and started scouting under the bench for her other boot.

 

“He is like Mr. Right, isn’t he?”

 

Seul Mi heard the flirtation lilt to Min Young’s voice as she scrounged around on the rubber flooring for her lost boot. Her hand touched something sticky. She didn’t want to think about the possibilities.

 

“So what did he say?”

 

“About what?” In the dank, dark recesses under the first row of permanent seating Seul Mi located her boot. It was pushed against the cement riser.

 

“You know, about the Company’s Party?” Min Young must have bent down because her voice was louder.

 

Seul Mi shimmied out backwards; deciding the safest route out was the same way she’d come in. She dragged the boot behind her. “We never got that far. Why don’t you ask him yourself?” Her derriere emerged from the deep abyss.

 

“Ask me what?”

 

Seul Mi banged the back of her head on the bottom of the metal seat. She dropped her boot and it tumbled into a great netherworld of discarded chewing gum and Raisinets. No doubt Hyun Joong was looking down her rear end as she hesitated on all four. She could crawl back under. But then there was that mysterious sticky goo.

 

“You need a hand?” Hyun Joong’s voice was louder, nearer. Much nearer.

 

In the shadowy darkness under the seats, Seul Mi sensed immediately that he had joined her. She felt the ripples of energy that emanated from his body. If only he thought to bring a flashlight. “No need to bother. I’m fine, thank you.”

 

“The lady doth protest too much.”

 

“And the man knows a literary line one or two. I’m impressed. But truly, I wouldn’t advise scrounging around here unless you’ve had a recent tetanus shot. Besides, I’m just looking for my boot. I had it a minute ago and I seem to have lost it again.”

 

Seul Mi d with her hand. She landed on something. It definitely wasn’t sticky. And it definitely wasn’t her boot.

 

It was large. It was strong. Sinews ridged the skin. Knuckles defined the contours. Fingers slightly curled, nails blunt cut. And there wasn’t the hint of a wedding ring. It was power at rest. But it hardly made Seul Mi feel restful.

 

“Whoops, sorry about that.” Seul Mi turned her head.

 

“Don’t be. It could happen to anyone.” In the darkness he moved his head towards hers. He shifted his hands.

 

His movements caused Seul Mi to realize that her hand was still on his. “Oh, sorry.” She started to pull it away, but he switched grips, holding her fingers lightly.

 

The sudden dizziness enveloping her head had to be the awkward position she was in, Seul Mi told herself. She cleared , if not her brain functions. “I think my boot may be over by your hand.”

 

She leaned awkwardly in that direction. And felt brush his cheek.

 

Hyun Joong turned. His lips accidentally touched hers.

 

His lips pressed lightly, maybe not accident? It was brief. Lips ever so slightly parted. Warm breath and tumbling heartbeats mixing.

 

And it was the most mind-blowing experience of Seul Mi’s life. And it was happening to her under the seat of a hockey rink!

 

“You guys all right there?”

 

Min Young’s voice penetrated the haze of emotions that engulfed Seul Mi. She felt Hyun Joong’s hand tighten briefly before he let go.

 

“No problem. We were just searching for Ayu’s boot. I think I found it.” He searched with his other hand, passing it to Seul Mi.

 

She was surprised she could mumble thanks. Backing out on her hands and knees, she slowly rose.

 

“Find something interesting down there?” Min Young rested on hand on her hips.

 

Seul Mi shivered. “You don’t want to know.” She dropped her boot on the ground and worked it on with her toes. Hyun Joong got to his feet, as well. He raked his hand through his hair.

 

“Well, come now,” Min Young announced. “Enough of this hide-and-seek. I’m starving. Let’s find somewhere to eat.” She flounced her coat more squarely on her shoulders. “Why don’t you leave that motor bike of yours here while we take a taxi uptown to that restaurant that opened?” Min Young waved in the general direction of Min Ho.

 

“Min Ho can drive it up and meet us there.”

 

“Seul Mi maybe, Min Ho never,” Hyun Joong said. He knew Min Ho wasn’t a great rider plus he was sure that Min Ho would want to ride with them to be close to Min Young.

 

“I have to go,” Min Ho came to their side breathlessly. “Something came up.”

 

“Anything we can help with?” Seul Mi offered.

 

“No, I’ll see you on Monday.” His eyes lingered on Min Young but they saddened when he noticed that she was too busy staring at Hyun Joong.

 

Seul Mi gave a sympathy look. “See you,” she waved as he walked away. “I’m only too happy to ride that motorcycle of yours.” Seul Mi walked over and grabbed her denim jacket she discarded over at the bench. Whatever distance she could put between herself and Hyun Joong would be a welcome blessing.

 

“Don’t be ridiculous. We need you close by. What’s more to the point?” Min Young grabbed Hyun Joong’s arm – “when we’re alone in the taxi, I want to talk about the Company’s Party that was coming up.” Seul Mi trailed behind as Min Young kept her half nelsing grip on Hyun Joong.

 

“Maybe I will ride the bike after all,” Seul Mi mumbled.

 

“What’s that, Seul Mi?” Min Young stuck out her hand for a cab. The ones that sped by had their lights on, indicating they were occupied. She dug in her Prada shoulder bag and pulled out her cell phone. “I’ll call for a cab.”

 

Seul Mi thought she saw her three bodyguards inside a building behind them. She went in front of Hyun Joong to cover herself. Hyun Joong took it the wrong way. He thought she wanted to stand close to him. “Never mind calling.” She spotted a taxi barrelling down the other side of the Sixth Avenue, stepped off the curb, and with her thumb and middle finger forming a circle, delivered a piercing whistle.

 

Like odyssey responding to the sirens’ call, the cab made a suicidal move through the traffic and shrieked to a halt. All that was lacking was for it to be dashed against the rocks. Luckily, the curbs in Manhattan are low and rounded.

 

Min Young snapped her cell phone shut. “I’d forgotten this little trick of yours you mentioned you could do.” She let Hyun Joong hold open the car door. She got into the back seat first.

 

Hyun Joong waited for Seul Mi to get in next. “You do realize you just demonstrated requirement number three.” He pantomimed her whistling.

 

Seul Mi stared at the way his fingers touched his open mouth. And found her libido bouncing around with all the maniac exuberance after two-months-old Labrador retriever. “Boy you’re easy to please. Half the people in the world must meet your requirements. And if you don’t get in the taxi soon a few of them will be joining us any minute.” She used her head to nod at the girls eyeing him up hungrily.

 

They bundled in, Seul Mi in the middle. Hyun Joong didn’t seem much further away. “You can’t move a little?” She looked down at his thigh pressed up against her leg.

 

Hyun Joong leaned over to speak to Min Young, ignoring Seul Mi’s comment. “So, tell me about the Company’s Party. Is there any problem?” His sleeve put pressure on Seul Mi’s shoulder.

 

Seul Mi pursed her lips and studied the taxi driver’s license displayed on the dash board.

 

“No, no. I just wanted to know if you’re taking anyone,” Min Young explained quickly and nervously.

 

“I’m surprised no one asked you yet,” Hyun Joong said. Seul Mi decided to kick him for that smug little comment as she took it the wrong way not realizing that he was wondering why Min Ho hasn’t asked her yet.

 

“Me too,” Min Young agreed. “I mean after my recent break up. I just don’t know if anyone’s worth it.”

 

Min Young had mentioned last week to Seul Mi that she had just broke up this guy Sho Sakurai who was also working in Mizushima Enterprise but Seul Mi never heard of him. She tried to find out who he was. And when she did she found that he was an arrogant but charming guy. He wasn’t all that bad but she couldn’t side with him yet. Min Young would hate her. She didn’t want that. After Min A, Min Young was her best friend. That is why she wanted to help her get Hyun Joong so she didn’t feel guilty for not letting them get a chance.

 

Seul Mi eyed Hyun Joong. Min Young’s phone rang. She flipped it open giving the other two who weren’t really paying any attention an apology look. “Don’t even go there.” Seul Mi warned sotto voice. He placed his hand on his chest. Who me? He seemed to indicate. She kicked him again.

 

Hyun Joong winced. “Has anyone ever told you that you have violent instincts?”

 

She stared wide eyed. Only a new born puppy would have looked more innocent. “Sorry, my foot slipped.”

 

“Twice?”

 

“Repetitive stress syndrome?”

 

“You should have that checked by the doctors,” he advised knowing well she was lying.

 

“Will do,” she grinned.

 

“So what do you think?” Min Young’s voice made both of them turn to face her just in time to see her flip the phone shut.

 

“Think of what?” Hyun Joong asked.

 

“Ask her to the party,” Seul Mi mouthed as she turned her face so Min Young doesn’t see.

 

He stared wide eyed at her. He couldn’t ask Min Young. He wanted to ask her and he knew for sure Min Ho would want to ask Min Young.

 

“How about this,” Hyun Joong quickly thought up an excuse, “if no one asks you at the end of the week I’ll be happy to you.”

 

Min Young was disappointed at first but she soon changed to beaming of joy. Seul Mi thought why he wouldn’t ask her. It was that simple. He didn’t have to like her.