Job Hunting

Runaway Daughter

It had been two days and she was not in luck. She could not find work. She went into a café that was next to the motel shewas staying at. It was a crowded place. She found the only empty table and quickly sat down before anyone else could take it. A waitress came and took her order. She picked the newspaper that was lying on the table and turned the pages until she got to the job section. She scanned through the page.

 

“Excuse me,” someone called out. She looked up. A Korean woman stood there wearing jeans and a lilac top. She had long straight her, similar to her own hair style only the woman had brown hair while she had black.

 

“Yes?”

 

’Is this seat taken?” the woman asked politely.

 

She looked so fragile, Seul Mi thought. “No,” she pulled out the chair with her foot. Without saying anymore she went back to looking at the advertisement for a job. A waitress came and put her tea down. The waitress took the other woman’s order.

 

“It’s hard to find a friend here,” the woman spoke when the waitress left. Seul Mi again looked up to face the woman. “I’ve been here three months and I still couldn’t find a friend.”

 

“I’ve only came here two weeks ago,” Seul Mi said not knowing if that’s what she was meant to answer.

 

“Where did you come from?”

 

“Korea,” she replied. She was not irritated with the woman but she was not used to this. This, meaning talking to strangers or making friends either. She wasn’t allowed to talk just to anybody. Her father wouldn’t let her. That was one of the reason she ran away.

 

“Me too,” the other woman exclaimed. “I’m from Suwon. What about you?”

 

“Seoul,” she said.

 

“My name’s Park Min Young,” the woman introduced herself.

 

“Han Seul Mi,” she said. She went back to looking at the paper not knowing what else to say.

 

“I’m searching for a job as well,” Min Young said. “I’m looking for something like a secretary.”

 

’At least we don’t have any competition,” Seul Mi joked. Min Young stared at her not understanding. “I want to work as a receptionist. Meet different people.”

 

“Oh, right,” Min Young said when she understood. “How about if we search together?” she suggested.

 

Seul Mi thought of it for a minute. “Okay,” she gave in. Min Young squealed happily. She shifted her chair next to Seul Mi’s and looked at the newspaper. Seul Mi was taken by surprise. She sure wasn’t used to this.

 

“Hey look at this,” Min Young didn’t look at it for more than a minute and she found one.

 

“There’s a job going for a receptionist and a secretary. What do you think?”

 

Seul Mi read the advert. This was a great opportunity. “Kim Asia Enterprise,” she read out loud. “Why does that sound familiar to me?”

 

“Probably because the guy’s mega rich and well known around the world,” Min Young spoke even though Seul Mi had been talking to herself.

 

“Really?” she said, interested. This was the second time she didn’t know a famous person.

 

“Yeah! He’s way big!”

 

“Is he bigger than Suzuki?” she couldn’t help but ask curiously.

 

“Yeah, I read on the magazine that Kim Asia Enterprise wants to take over Suzuki,” Min Young informed her. Seul Mi gasped. She thought her father was a rich guy but this must mean that this Kim guy was richer. “The latest magazine I read was that he went to Seoul on business two weeks ago to try and get Shinhwa Enterprise.”

 

“Is Shinwha Enterprise going to sell?” she asked worriedly.

 

“Nobody knows yet.” Min Young changed the subject back to the job. “We should phone them and get an interview.”

 

She wanted to know more about what’s going on with Suzuki but didn’t want to sound too suspicious. She couldn’t believe her father didn’t trust her to say about the Kim Asia Enterprise.

 

“Let’s call now,” Seul Mi suggested. She ripped the newspaper where the advert was. “We can call from my motel room.”

 

They both drained their drink and rushed out of the cafe. They walked to the motel and then to her room. “You phone first,” she told Min Young nervously.

 

“Okay,” she took the paper from her and dialled the number. It took a couple of rings before she got through. “Hello,” she spoke in a confident tone. “I read on the advertiser about the secretary job going. I’d like to apply… Yes… Park Min Young… Thank you, I’ll see you then.” Min Young hung up and looked up at her. “I got an interview today in two hours,” she squealed excitedly.

 

“Great!” Seul Mi exclaimed.

 

“Now it’s your turn,” Min Young said.

 

Seul Mi was sweating like crazy with nervousness. She picked up the receiver and pressed re-dial.

 

“Hello, Kim Asia Enterprise, how may I help you?” a cheery woman greeted her.

 

“Hi! I’m calling for the job going as a receptionist,” she said.

 

“Ah, yes!” the woman said. “Can I have your name please?”

 

“Seul Mi Han.”

 

“Well, Miss Han, we are desperate for a receptionist and need to interview as soon as possible. Could you possibly come in today for the interview? It starts at two.”

 

“Yes, of course,” she quickly said, relieved that she wasn’t going to ask any question over the phone.“Thank you.”

 

“Okay then Miss Han. I’ll see you then,” the woman said and hung up.

 

“So…?” Min Young said.

 

“Got the interview at the same time as you,” she told her.

 

“I have to go to my apartment and get changed. We have an hour,” Min Young pointed out. “How about after the interview we meet there?”

 

“Sure,” she thought that was a good idea as well.

 

’I just hope that we both get the job!” Min Young prayed at the door. “Good luck!” she waved goodbye.

 

“Ditto,” Seul Mi waved back and then closed the door.

 

She smiled. She had made a friend and she didn’t have to try. She had a quick shower. She looked at the clothes she bought while she was looking for a job. She needed something smart. She chose to wear a red blouse and a black skirt. She brushed her hair and pulled it up in a ponytail. She then looked at her make-up. She didn’t want to wear much make-up. So she just put on mascara and a light lipstick.

 

She looked herself up and down on the mirror. She tried smiling. She was impressed at how she looked. She looked at her watch and panicked. She had half an hour until her appointment. She wore her black jacket and left for the company with her bag and her papers in her hand. She hailed for a cab.