Chapter 4

Shine Bright Like A Crystal

 

He wanted too see her, he wanted too meet her, but he guessed she didn't. But why? Has she not ready yet? What else's she should have prepared only to meet him? It had been years, no matter how far it already changed, whether she still remembers her promise or not, no one knows...

"She should tell me if she has been comeback." Kai said while sat on the couch in their apartment. Arms wrapped his knee. It felt hurt, more than bad thought he wanted this moment to come for long but it didn't feel nice, not she wanted to tell him anything even whether she was fine and doing right or where she lived. It's impossible for her family to move back at their house which on right side of his family house. Yes, they were neighboring years ago but since her family moved to California the house ware sold. So it's impossible for her to live there. He wanted to call her to ask or maybe have more talk but he never did. Maybe she was busy and he didn't want to disturb her, beside she'll call him if she has been ready to talk to him, to tell him everything that they've passed for long without even told each other. He thought if what it. But the reality was he has no confident to make a call first. He took a glance at his phone which stayed quietly beside him.

Call me. Just make sure I'm the first person to know your feeling...

"Why are you crying?"

"Carrot, it hurts. My heart is hurt."

"Why hurt? Did anyone hurt you?"

"I lost my bracelet that you give me as my birthday present. I'm sorry Carrot. What should I do?"

"Don't cry..."

"You will hate me."

"I don't hate you. I won't hate you. How can I? You're my life, my friend, my everything. I still have some money, I'll buy a new one for you so stop crying, okay?!"

"You will buy me a new bracelet?"

"Hmm how about a necklace instead?"

And you call me Carrot seven years ago for the last time before you had gone...

Chanyeol in the other side was busy with some device in the kitchen. Bad thing to let him do his idea to make a cheese cake. Now, what else he produced except noise sound and messy kitchen. For what is he made a cheese cake anyway? For God's sake, he knew his friend doesn't have any abilities called cooking, ramen doesn't count. Ignoring the messy sound (he swore it sounds like a pan was falling down, a spoon clattered to the floor, and maybe blade and sauce bottle also coming down. He didn't care, knowing how weird his friend along with whatever he did) he took out his wallet from his pocket jeans. A photo was appeared immediately when he opened it. A dark haired boy smiling while held a lollipop candy, beside him there was a girl whose arm around his shoulder also smiles happily. This photo had taken by his mother when they were nine. Yes, he remember it well, when they used to be close friend and spent more time together.

"Here for you, Kai." Suddenly Chanyeol's voice from kitchen disperses his day dreaming. Chanyeol came nearer with some cheese cake on the plate and stopped to pick up some books on the floor then put them back on the shelf with heavy sigh. "It's messy. Can you do something useful instead of day dreaming? You've been there for three hours and how a human could be like that? You seem like a statue. Man, this is Sunday, better you do something salutary like... ah, and you can help me cleaning the living room and bathroom maybe? It's our house right? We should take care of it so we can live here peacefully." Chanyeol said little longer from his purpose, he thought. Where he just need to told him to do a favor cleaning the house. But Kai didn't take it anyway; his attention wasn't at Chanyeol though. He saw his friend still mumbled but he didn't clearly hear what he said. Kai pull down the photo which he hold to put it back inside his wallet when Chanyeol came nearer and sat next to him on the couch. But Chanyeol did faster; he put down the plate on his side and grabs the photo from Kai.

"Is it you, right? Well, you didn't tell me you still have it." Chanyeol chuckled, teasing him.

"Of course. Hmm you didn't put poison inside them, do you? Why make a cake so sudden, you ridiculous." Kai said take a cheese cake and bite it. "But it's too salt. You give too much salt or cheese." Despite of his complain his mouth didn't stop to take another bite. At least his giant-but-sloth-friend has something useful although he knew Chanyeol never tried to cook because he has Kai in this apartment to doing that stuff.

The silent kept running until he turn his head to the right and saw Chanyeol still hold his (along with his childhood friend) photo and close his mouth, his left eye twitched like what always he does while thinking. Curious Kai asked, "What? Oh stop Chanyeol, don't look my face like that! I was nine that time, not much different but I know I look more handsome now."

"It's your tomato, right?"

"Hmmm..."

"Why you called her that?"

"Oh, it's a long story."

"Tell me."

"Why?"

"Just answer me."

"She's beautiful, isn't she? We were nine when this photo been taken." Chanyeol listened properly with mouth hanging open as he wait for Kai to continue but the silent came for about ten seconds before Kai chuckled, he put down the cheese cake on the table then he continued... "When she laugh or feel shy, her cheek changed into red. She was blushing I don't know but that redden cheek made her look even more beautiful. Yeah, at least that was ten-years-Kim-Jongin thought."

"You never called yourself Jongin."

"She'd like to call me like that. But okay, I had been always told her to call me Kai." He watched Chanyeol with a smile still hanging on his face then Chanyeol throw his gaze at the other corner in the room.

"Is she special for you?"

"Why? Back to my childhood time she's my best friend. Of course she's special."

Chanyeol rise up the photo and give him an amused look. "Your friend whom you called her Tomato because her redden cheek whenever she laugh or shy, her eyes, I had met them. I saw her. I'm sure because I remember her eyes perfectly like I ever saw them before. No doubt, it was on your photo."

And he felt his heart ached. God, two days ago Krystal said she was in Seoul and right now Chanyeol told him he met her. It possibly happens but where? He was sure Chanyeol didn't go anywhere for the past days. The just going to school then back to their apartment. Sometimes they go to ice cream shop near the bus stop or go to market, except this week it was Chanyeol who went alone because Kai was busy with their science presentation along with Sulli in their apartment to help them finished the task.

So... how could him?

"What? Where Chanyeol? When?" He pressed his both hand on Chanyeol's shoulders, facing him.

"Calm on, man! To be honest, I'm not sure about her."

"Just tell me where you met her!"

"But if she isn't your friend—"

"You said you were sure you had met her and now you aren't sure about your feeling. Come on, Kai! You know I didn't meet her for years. Just tell me where's her? Where you met her? Because she said, she came back to Seoul."

There's no answer from the other. Silent was kept remaining. Kai almost lost his patience, he wants punch his friend right on his face for speaks and told him everything he wants to hear. Anyway, he didn't do anything. Just wait until the taller throw his eyes away from him.

"! You act as same as her, why you both did this to me? Is it hard just to speak and tell me where she is?"

He put down his hands. He felt miserable, but when he began to move from the couch and walk to his bedroom he heard Chanyeol spoke.

"She's shining Kai." Kai stopped but didn't look back at him. "Beautiful and bright."