Creepin, Peepin or Admiration

Like a Bent Tree

Jin crosses over to the room clapping loudly and slowly. “Wow that was amazing!” He gives me a thumbs up. The whites of teeth shine brightly in the studio’s lighting.

I didn’t know what to feel at that moment. Embarrassed? Peeked on? It was a mix of those two. I guess I should have known someone was in the room but I was so focused on perfecting my moves that it went over my head. I heard from RiSe that I did that a lot and it took a while for my group members to grab my attention. I flip my hair over my shoulder and shrug.

“Thanks. I didn’t know I had an audience in the room. If I had known, I would have put on a flashier performance.”

Jin laughs a mere second until his expressions settles into shyness. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to stare but you really grabbed my attention. I mean uh—“ Jin’s face goes blank as he tries to explain himself.

“Y-you’re a trainee right?” He stutters while quickly changing the subject.

I laugh. “Yes, I am. My manager hasn’t talked about it too much but he just says that we’re close in debuting. Hopefully near the end of this year or at least the beginning of next year.” I sigh.

“Really? From what I’ve seen so far, you guys could probably debut now.” He grabs his chin and thinks. “Oh, I’m Jin by the way, from BTS.” He bows politely to me.

I couldn’t tell if Jin was flattering me or if he was being genuine but either way, I say my thanks. “I know who you are.” Causing him to raise his brow.

“Like who hasn’t? And we’re in the same company.” I laugh. “Aiming for Rookie of the Year? You got my vote.”

Jin shockingly looks at me. “Wow, so you’re a supporter? You’re not kidding right?”

He says it like he couldn’t believe it. I’m sure they had many fans already. Was it that hard to believe a fellow Label Member was a fan of their work? Or maybe because they’re so busy they haven’t noticed the amount of fans they accumulated.

I shake my head. “Believe me. You could tell if I was kidding. I’m Ashley Choi by the way.”

“Ashely.” He repeats. “I’ll remember you from now on.” He looks at me directly in the eyes and I can feel the sincerity behind those words. We stood there for who knows how long staring at each other. He hasn’t blinked either. I wasn’t aware that my heart was beating faster than usual as he continues to stare into my eyes. He was like looking right into my soul.

I felt my cheeks tickle pink as I finally broke my gaze away. I look away embarrassingly. “God, don’t do that. I can see why you have so many fans.” I giggle nervously and turn away to grab my jacket on the bench.

If it was anyone else, I swore I would have found the stare creepy but Jin was different. His look wasn’t even the slightest bit disturbing more so curious and a bit challenging. I guess I can say that I just lost a staring contest with Jin. Add that to my resume.

I can hear Jin laughing lightly as I near the bench. “Good. It worked then.” I can hear the satisfaction in his voice. Oh, so I was playing his game.

I say nothing as I slip on my jacket. I didn’t know what time it was but I knew it was late enough for me to head home. Jin’s encouragement brought up my mood for sure. I just couldn’t wait to show off at the competition!

I smile widely and turn around just when an arm reaches around me. I stare right at Jin just as he picks up his leather jacket with the tips of their slender fingers. “Ah, that’s why I came here.” He says to himself. He steps back and slips on his jacket. Jin adjusts the collar a bit and looks back at me quizzically.

Now that I’m closer to him, he’s really handsome. I also took notice of the two piercings on his left ear too. It just perfectly suits his image.

Jin waves his fingers over my face as I stare at him. “Hello?”  He asks worryingly. “Are you okay?”

Not really but I couldn’t help but stare at him.

“Oh! Are you challenging me again?” Jin steps back and blinks several times before gluing his eyes at me again. “Ready go!” He just stands there with his hands folded in front of him.

“Wait, I’m not challenging you!” I say, unblinking. “I just like the piercings on your ear.” I point to my own ears. “I kind of want it there myself.”

Unblinking, Jin stares at me still. “You’re just trying to get me distracted.” He mutters.

Whoa, he really is serious! I still haven’t blinked so I continue to stare at him. This time, I really want to beat him.

I give him a smug expression. “This time, I’ll win.” Confidence ran through my veins as we continued to stare at each other. My eyes start to hurt a bit and I could see his eye lids slightly twitching.

“Come on Jin, lose already.” I cross my arms in front of my chest. “I need to go to sleep.”

“Then why don’t you give up then?” His expression darkens and I feel my arm tingle a bit. Sort of scary!

I am genuinely surprised by that phrase. On stage he sort didn’t look like he would be that competitive but I guess if you got to know him…

“I won’t give up.” I finally say.

His lips curve up a little and then he starts pacing around the room, never taking his eyes off me.

My eyes continue to burn since there was no moisture getting into my eyes. To distract myself, I start a conversation. How many minutes has it been anyways?

“Hey Oppa. Do you usually meet people with a staring contest?” I question.

He stops moving and looks at me. “…No, not really.” He places his fingers under his chin to think. It looks sort of odd only because his expression was still. “Only you but that’s only because you were challenging me.”

“I wasn’t.” My lips sputter a bit but I held the giggles back in. If I laugh now, there was a high chance I’ll blink.

“Really? Then the only reason was my ears? Because I’m sure you were looking at my face.”

I bite my lower lip. I really was going to crack at this point. “…No.” I start to say when the door to the room burst open.

“Hyung!” A slightly higher voice chirps into the room. “There you are! We’ve been looking everywhere for you. It’s late!”

I keep staring at Jin but he abruptly turns to Jungkook and blinks!

“YES I win!” I jump up and down in my spot and the three guys look at me. I do small little dance and blink so much that tears come out of my eyes. “Thank goodness. I was gonna lose right there!” I laugh hysterically to myself unaware of the three pairs of eyes watching my kookiness.

“Ah, yes you win.” Jin’s shoulder slumps a bit but he smiles amusingly at my victory dance.

“What did she win, hyung?” Jungkook asks innocently.

The ones who enter the room was the maknae of their group, Jungkook and the Leader Rapmon. Jungkook was known to be extremely talented in everything and sort of a perfectionist. Rapmon was known for his glasses that usually cover his eyes during performances, rapping skills, his powerful image of a leader and being the first one to be in the group.

“Looks like a staring contest.” Rapmon replies before Jin or I could. “You must be really good! Jin could do at least five minutes.” Rapmon stops like a lightning bolt has hit him in the back. He stares at me. “Wait! What’s your name?”

Jungkook and Jin look at each other questioningly.

“Ashely Choi.” I bow slightly. “I know who you guys are. Rapmon and Jungkook.”

Rapmon cuts me off. “Ashley. Ashley…ASHLEY!” He repeats three times before his eyes go wide.

“What?!” I say it like I’ve done something wrong. “I didn’t do anything bad did I?” I ask.

“You have!” He puts his hands on both of my shoulders and pats it twice.

I didn’t understand. I swore I threw out the milk last week when it said expire in the kitchen. It wasn’t my responsibility to but I didn’t want anyone who came into the kitchen to get sick. Other than that, what else?

“You…forgot haven’t you?” Rapmon’s eyes look at me sadly.

“What did she forget?” Jungkook asks his elder member.

Jin just stares at us, his lips tightening up and looking uncomfortable.

“It’s me Ashely. Namjoon. Kim Namjoon your friend in second grade!”

“Eh?!” I recall having a friend named Kim Namjoon but I never thought he was Rapmonster from BTS!

“What no way!” I exclaim placing my hand on his shoulders. “I remember you moving after a year but I never thought that you’d be Rapmonster! You look really different!”

When I recognize Namjoon, his face lightens up and he grins the biggest grin ever.  

Namjoon chuckles at me and pulls me into a hug. I was in shock but I hug back. Namjoon’s parents moved to America for a year when I was in the second grade and I helped him get through the class since I was the only Korean in there. He learned a lot of English from me, but we were only second graders so there wasn’t too much to teach. We were really good friends until he had to move and lost contact right after.

“What’s going on?” Jungkook looks at us in surprise. “A friend?” Jungkook makes an ‘o’ shape with his mouth.

In the corner of my eye, Jin looks like he was forcing a smile watching the two of us interact.

“Yes! We used to go to the same school when I used to live in America.” He lets go of me so I could breath.

“Whoa!” Jungkook looks amaze.

“Amazing indeed.” Jin mumbles. “So you guys are close?” He smiles.

“We used to be.” I explain. Despite Jin’s forceful expressions, I was genuinely happy. I completely forgot about us being childhood friend until now.

“We used to hang out at recess and sat around to eat mini sandwiches together.”

“They were so good.” Namjoon says in English. He switches back to Korean. “Her mom used to make them for us for lunch. Well it was for her but she gave some to me.”

Jungkook laughs. “Wait, noona you didn’t have any girl friends?”

I burst out laughing. “Well not that much in second grade.” I pause to think. “I didn’t have that much guy friends either! Hm. I guess Namjoon was my only friend.”

Namjoon warmly smiles at me. “Yup. My only friend in second grade and she forgot about me this whole time. I feel stabbed.” Namjoon dramatically grabs his chest as if he was hurt.

“Shut up!” I playfully say. “I bet you did too until today.” I point out.

“I didn’t.” He replies.

Rapmon and I used to do everything together that whole year in second grade. Lots of girls thought we were dating and gossiped about us twenty four seven. I didn’t want to be friends with any of them for that reason. For the guys, I’ve talked to them but never had any of them as close as friends. Rapmon was always there for me. When he told me he was going back to Korea, I was heartbroken. We could have exchanged some sort of contact but it was just difficult since we were young.

Before I could reply Jin cuts me off. “Hey it's getting late you guys. We can have this reunion later?”

Something about Jin’s tone sounded impatient but I thought nothing more.

Jungkook places his hands over his mouth and yawns. “Yeah, I’m tired.”

Rapmon sighs at his teammate’s and pats me on the head. “Okay we can go.”

I didn’t want it to end. Meeting Namjoon again in over ten years, there was a lot to say! “Um!” I started. The trio stops and glances over in my direction. I clear my throat. “If you guys ever see me around. Don’t be afraid to say hi. I won’t bite.” I nod briefly and watch for their reactions.

 Jungkook smiles. There was excitement in his eyes but other than that, I couldn’t read him. Jin nods to me with a smaller smile. Then Namjoon opens up his pearly whites and brightly shines it in my direction.

“Of course we would!” Namjoon exclaims. He walks back to me and pulls out his cellphone. “Can we all exchange numbers then?”

I blink several times before answering. “Sure~” I didn’t know that it would be THAT easy to grab their numbers but I was glad I said that.

That night, all I could think about was Bangtan Boys. They were fun and charming. Cute and witty. If only if I’ve met them sooner! I realize I was missing out on a large part of the company by not knowing them. My eyes finally cave in and I drift to sleep.

-----
Leafelle Notes: 

TBH this was very hard to write. XD Oh yeah and writing Jin is pretty tough so I added competitiveness and somewhat jelly to his personality even though he's super kind and all ㅠㅠ

And I know I've said Rapmon was going to be the 'mean' one and childhood friend but I excluded mean and plan that for Suga cause : D Idk it seems like it fits more. ~

For Jungkook, I have something planned for him so he didn't get that much screen time this time around but hopefully more of him next time! 

Oh yeah. I might have some silent readers but it would be coolie to get a comment once in a while 
ㅠㅠ

//half asleep while posting this