The two sides of the coin

Od. Esse.

 


Hatred and love are two sides of the coin, it's incomplete without the other.

-Oh Sehun


There were nothing but splattered paints inside Minseok's studio. His canvass covered entirely in black with messy lines of white. It was an chaotic piece, it reflected his mind. "Min-hyung" Yi xing called popping his head at the door. "It's time to eat". Minseok nodded before he walked towards the door with a emotionless facade. Yi xing and his other two childhood friends settled their selves inside the large and empty Kim mansion. The mansion was as wide as it was quiet. Minseok's father obsessed himself in work since his wife died and it got worse when Xiumin passed away. The only person inside the luxurious house is Minseok, Kris, Tao, Yi xing, the newly hired servant Chanyeol and the son of Minseok and Xiumin's nanny, Sehun, whose working as a caretaker. Tao and Kris who silently sat at the long dinning table greeted them with a smile. Minseok took the empty seat across Tao and next to Yixing. 

"Young master Kris there was a phone call" Sehun's polite words interrupted the silent but comfortable atmosphere. Kris sighed. It was probably from his dad who's nagging him to come back to China. Kris found the whole nagging pointless, he knew that his father clearly knows how his mind works and that is him not listening to his pleas. Kris is to be named CEO at a young age, he had already gained enough trust from the board of directors. Though him leading the company would happen many years after, his presence is a very important matter to social events where he will be introduced to high ranking persons. Sehun practically grew up in the household and along with the older heirs which treated him very well and his experience tells him that Yifan would completely ignore the phone calls. "Would you like to leave a message on the other party, sir?"

"No need. Tell the geezer to stop doing unnecessary things and put the phone down then join us with that dude called Chanyeol" Sehun sighed. Yifan's words is absolute. There was only the deceased young master Xiumin and the silent and zoned out Minseok who can control the chinese man and defying or questioning his words is foolishness. Sehun curtly nodded before he walked towards the phone located at the living room. 

"Yifan, you can go back if you want to, I am fine" Minseok's silent words made Kris shook his head softly. 

"I wont cause I don't want to. And no, you are not okay" Tao and Yi xing sighed. Yifan can be pushy sometimes. Minseok dared not to state a single protest and silently ate his breakfast. 


The whole school population had their heads tuned to the transferee's and the silent resident art genius. Minseok was unaware of his popularity at the school, credits to his brother's proud advertisement of his talents. He always secluded himself in the confines of the special art studio the principal gave him as a reward for the numerous trophies he won for the school. Sehun followed their steps with a canvass covered in brown paper clipped on his right arms. It was Minseok's latest work. Sehun has always been a fan of his young master's paintings because it brought a warm and fuzzy feeling everytime he looks at it. There was satisfaction and joy sprawled all over the colorful pieces of art. But the wrapped piece was different, it was the opposite of what his young master has been painting all his life. There was sorrow and pain in the monochrome piece. It was beautiful and enchanting but it pulls you to the abyss of silent pleas, it will break your heart. There were truth at his young master's words, he can't draw anymore. It was Minseok's habit to change good memories into a fine pieces of drawings and paint it on the canvass. There was no happiness inside of him so he can't draw. He can only convey his deep sadness with the colors of black and white trapped in the small frames of the canvass. 

"Minseok-sunbaenim" a wide eyed man approached the young artist earning raised eyebrows from Kris and Tao and a warm welcoming smile from Yi xing. "Ah, I'm sorry" the man apologetically bowed at the chinese transferees and offered a quick worried look at the blank gazes of his respected senior. "I am Kyungsoo of art club and Minseok-sunbae's assistant" 

"I see. Pleasure to meet you, I am Yi xing. I'm Minseok's childhood friend. That tall guy is Yi" Kris sent a deadly glare making Yi xing gulp "I mean Kris, and that panda lookalike is Tao." Lay introduced as he watched the short fidgeting lad who was nervous at all the stares thrown at them. "So what can our Minseok help you with?" As if a switched , the man snapped from his embarrassment and briskly stared at the silent artist. 

"Ah yes, I am here to fetch the latest piece for the upcoming interschool competition. Mr. Choi has been waiting for it" Sehun stepped forward and handed the canvass to the shorter male who was flustered at the sudden action of the school's flower boy. "Thank you very much" he mouthed before he carefully excused himself and walked away. 

"Young masters!" Chanyeol's deep loud voice echoed through the hallways as he ran towards their direction. "You forgot your lunches!" Minseok watched the tall housekeeper struggle to get pass the crowding students. Minseok nodded at Sehun who immediately helped the giant. Kris and Tao stared at the inoccent looking Yi xing. 

"What?" Yi xing questioned making Kris roll his eyes. 

"Weren't the lunch boxes supposed to be in your care?" Yi xing chuckled. Sehun sighed. It would have caused a great commotion if Chanyeol had not delivered the lunch boxes. Kris and Minseok does not tolerate food made from unknown hands, Tao has a very picky taste, and Yi xing has a very stomach. Yi xing was the one who prepared the meals and it became duty to feed his childhood friends. Tao and Kris getting hungry would cause the whole school's shutdown. Sehun shuddered at the thought. He briefly muttered a thanks to the new worker who immediately dashed towards his class after a short respectful bow to the young masters.

"I don't like the crowd" Minseok stated. The crowd was really gathering. It was an unusual sight at the elite high school where students are snooby rich kids and are usually in their own pampered worlds. Sehun sighed. Girls were fawning over the group of men standing in the hallway while the boys were plainly curious to the events. The school bell rang signalling the start of classes but the young masters Sehun currently was serving ignored the loud signal and went straight to Minseok's studio. Sehun sighed as he quietly followed. 


  "Don't stare at me like that" Yifan whined trying to peel the questioning stares of Tao and Yi xing. The school principal, the smiling Park Jeongsu, was patiently seated on the studio with the ever familiar Kim Youngwoon. 

"You should know why the stinky old man came" Tao argued supported by the soft nod coming from Yi xing. As much as they are concerned, the young men had enough of the consequences dealing with the perfect sheep-skinned wolf. Even Minseok glared at Yifan. 

"The kids seems traumatized by you, hyung"" Youngwoon chuckled as he approached Minseok, his niece. Minseok stared at the man whose presence demands respect and allows no less. "How are you doing Seokie?"

"Hell, uncle" Youngwoon smiled at the response. The principal loudly cleared his throat to catch the attention of everyone in the room. Minseok glanced at his father's friend who glanced at the chinese transferees. 

"Well, I came to greet the transferees who made sure to trouble their father to call me in the middle of the night" The principal's smile was exuding dark waves making Minseok stare at his uncle for protection in which the latter simply smiled with an I-have-your-back-so-don't-worry expression on his face. Among the four brothers of his father, Minseok loved the manly Youngwoon  the most. Xiumin on the other hand found much interest on their loud and talkative uncle Heechul. "Never mind that, I need the three of you to work for something" The three chinese boys groaned. Sehun shuddered at the thought of the large amount of workload that may come. The door opened loudly revealing the diva of an uncle, Heechul and the sharp tongued uncle, Ryeowook. Minseok sighed. Heechul immediately dropped everything and tackled his deaf niece into a tight hug. Ryeowook rolled his eyes.

"Hyung, you're killing your niece" Heechul glared at his younger brother which broke the hug saving Minseok from the innocent murder. "Aren't you supposed to be in France right now?" 

"Shut yer trap, Youngwoon, I am not hearing your nonsense" Heechul dusted his pants after sending warning glares at his younger brother. "And you!" Heechul's eyes met Jeongsu's who smiled awkardly. "I ain't falling for that smile, teukie" Jeongsu cringed at the old nickname making Ryeowook smirk. "You won't be ordering my dear cute friends into doing some dirty jobs. Nuh-uh"

"Ryeowook control your older brother please" Ryeowook stared at Jeongsu and shrugged.  

"Your still as pathetic as ever, hyung" Ryeowook deadpaned as he calmed the furious older brother with sharp words. Youngwoon chuckled at same old antics his brother's do. Jeongsu creased his temples. The panting figure of the last of Minseok's uncle came in. 

"HYUNG! Kibum came back!" Joongwoon's words made Minseok flinched. Sehun quickly moved towards his young master to provide him comfort. Kris, Tao and Yi xing followed. Jeongsu sighed. 

"Yah! You idiot" Heechul cursed making Joongwoon stare at Minseok who was staring with blank eyes. 

 


"Minseok-ssi?" Luhan's voice called as he felt the familiar presence of his constant visitor. Minseok stared at the blind man sitting at his bed silently watching how his lips muttered his name. Minseok gave no response. "Is there something wrong?"

"None of your business" Minseok answered coldly. Truth to be told, Minseok finds Luhan's presence as comforting. He feels that he was not as wrecked as what the world sees because there was him who was more in agony. Minseok often asked himself why the blind lover of his brother was strong enough to handle the loss. He convinced himself into believing that the man was heartless enough to quickly forget the existence of his brother and move one even when he knew that the said man was dying inside. 

"Can I ask you a question?" Minseok did not answer and simply stared at the injured man's lips. "Why do you hate me so much?"

"Is this a new way of asking an apology?"

"No, umm, just curious. You seem so different from Xiu's description"

"Hatred can change everything"

"Don't I have a right to know why?"

"You killed Umin" Luhan had his heart stabbed. The whole thing was an accident but it was partially his fault, he also think so. "Umin was my everything. You stole him from me with your voice." Luhan noticed the slight change of Minseok's voice. Minseok, as Xiumin described, was a shy and timid artist who often withdrew in his paintings but is an impossible to hate person. He always thought that Xiumin was speaking praises to his brother just because he was proud but Luhan was taught that he was wrong. Though cold, Minseok often helps him with jobs he can't do alone now that he was blind. His presence was cold and silent but there's this aura of warmness emanating from his fragile body. "If you haven't then maybe he would be cuddling me. He shouldn't have met you, he shouldn't have" Minseok was aware of his cruelness but he can't stop himself. It was unfair how Luhan was able to see Xiumin during his last moments while Minseok was locked inside his studio painting. 

"I'm sorry"

"You know my answer, your apologies are useless"

"I know, I just wanna say it either way" There was silence before Luhan decided to break it. "Aren't you going home? It should be pretty late, right?"

"There's no need for me to go home. Or do you find my presence repulsive?" Luhan shook his head. Minseok sighed. The door creaked open as a tanned man entered the room with a bag of groceries on his hand.

"Jongin?" Minseok stared at the newly arrived man who glared at his direction. Jongin, or so the man was called, quickly switched his attention to the bedridden man.

"Hyung, I brought you some fruits and snacks" The man took the watcher's seat next to Luhan's bed and glared at Minseok who stared at him with a colder gaze. "Why are you here?"

"Because I want to" Minseok deadpanned. Jongin was Luhan's cousin. The last remaining family, the young singer have. Jongin is currently a student of Exo School of Arts where he was also a student of as a dance major and a scholarship student. The dancer had announced his distaste for the artist who was the reason his cousin was dying emotionally. Jongin don't know the story behind the cold artist but he knew how hard it is to get over a sudden death of a precious one but he also can't bear to look at the sorrowful brother who practically worked his bones off just to send him in the damned elite school. 

"That's not enough reason"

"I paid the tabs, I call the rules" Jongin sighed. The silent artist is a famous figure at the school. Minseok was known to be the secluded genius whose works won many awards for the school including international ones. He is also known to be the a phantom as he rarely attends his general education classes but like his brother aced his exams. The golden twins, as the school population named them, are the school's pride. Xiumin was a very famous violinist who debuted at the young age of ten and gained popularity immediately and the school's most popular figure. Xiumin was the polar opposite of the shy and meek artist whose presence around the school campus is rarely seen. Even Jongin whose brain is full of dancing heard about them. Minseok stared at the white wall clock hanging on the wall that reads 10:38. Jongin sighed as he watched the cold artist pull a book from his bag and started reading it.


Sehun greeted Minseok quietly. It was past 12:30 and Minseok had just returned home from the hospital. It was the usual routine everytime the master is home. Minseok and his father's relationship was not that good. The master, Kibum, was not good at expressing his emotions and drowned his sorrows in work while Minseok was angry at his father for not being there when his mother passed away calling her husband's name. The two of them were similar to each other while Xiumin was as cheerful and positive as his mother.

"Sehunnie" Minseok whispered. "Thank you" As Minseok made his way to his room the lights suddenly . Kim Kibum stood at the end of the staircase looking down at his son. Tao, Yi xing, Kris, and the poor Chanyeol was sleeping in the living room waiting for Minseok to return. They slowly blinked their eyes open as the blinding lights glared strongly on them. Minseok eyed his father with a blank gaze. Sehun felt the strong pressure as two forces met with only with a gaze. 

"Seokie-ge, you're back" Tao smiled slowly yawned dragging the half-asleep Yi xing in Minseok's direction. Minseok smiled at his cute little friend. 

"Let's sleep together?" Minseok suggested making Tao grin happily. Minseok ignored his father's presence and walked towards his room walking past his father who was standing at the end of the stairs. Minseok felt his father's hand on his arm stopping him from advancing any further. Tao who was pulled by Kris along with Yi xing stared at the drama. Minseok took his arm away and glared at his father. "You're not gonna act like a father who cares suddenly, would you?" Kibum narrowed his eyes. He never have tolerance for rudeness.

"I am still your father young man, remember that" Minseok laughed at his father. It was odd how the only thing he hears in the entire world was his father's voice. The deep and silent voice which often tells him story when he was a child and the same that denied him of his pleas to have him visit his wife even for just a minute. 

"Says the man who let his wife rot in the hospital and was absent at the funeral of his oldest son. I don't have a father!" Minseok earned a hard punch on his face. Kris stopped Tao who was about to rush to Minseok's side. "A punch? How pathetic." Minseok left his father and slammed the door to his room closed. Kibum stared at his fist for a while, regret crossing his emotion void face before walking towards his bedroom. Tao knocked on Minseok's door with Kris and Yi xing behind him. 

"No sleepover?" Tao pouted while looking at Kris before the door opened revealing Minseok's tear stained face. Kris and Yi xing offered the crying Minseok a warm hug while Tao stood in front of his eldest gege and cutely asked. "Sleepover?"

Minseok smiled at the cuteness of his childhood friend. "A sleepover seems nice right now"


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

a/n: FINALLY! woot woo~ Now then please answer the poll below, I really need an answer~