Chapter Three

Starry Starry Night

Kyungsoo's POV

I woke up when my stomach grumbled and made that dying whale sound. To be honest, I was totally hungry. I haven't eaten in twenty-four hours and the only thing I've eaten was half a candy bar. And yet, I said, I was full, but, I am so ing hungry.

I looked at the digital clock at my bedside table, it was three in the morning. I thought to myself: " Why not cook for myself?"

So, I got up from my bed, making sure that I wouldn't wake Jongin, Sehun or Luhan-hyung up. I went out of the room, and tiptoed across the dormitory,going to the kitchen. I got some spices from the cabinet, some left-over rice I cooked three days ago, some oil and butter. I got a frying pan and started mixing all the ingredients together.

I tried to keep my cooking down a notch, because I didn't want the other boys to go around me and get the food I'm cooking for myself.  But, no matter what I did, the scent of herbs, spices and butter still overpowered.

I tried not to space out and actually cause a fire in the dorm, so, I had to pay attention to what I was cooking. I was stirring the rice in the frying pan, when someone said:

" Hmm, that smells good."

I widened my eyes, and literally, my eyes felt like they went out of the socket. It was like my soul left my body for a moment when I heard his voice. Oh God, please, I just hope I was hallucinating.

I turned around slowly, hoping that I was just hallucinating, but, sadly, I wasn't.

I saw a pale skinned boy, wearing a white tee and jeans, sitting by the breakfast table. He was wearing his trademark angelic smile as he excitedly moved on his seat.

" Kyungie, I'm really hungry. Please tell me you cooked that for me." he said, in an aegyo mode.

Afterwards, I did something everyone would do once they saw a ghost. I screamed. I literally screamed three octaves higher than Jongdae's high note. I screamed as I slumped on the floor and started covering my eyes.

" For the love of God, Kim Joonmyeon. Please go away, I'm just an innocent little boy who's trying to make food for himself. Please don't kill me. Don't eat me. Please, spare my life, Joonmyeon." I said, trying to avoid the ghost in front of me.

Silence followed after that.

I guess Joonmyeon left. So, I peeped and took my hands of my face.

Wrong move, Do Kyungsoo. Wrong move.

I found Joonmyeon-hyung sitting in front of me, staring right into my eyes.

I was about to scream again, when he covered my mouth and said:

" Don't scream. Kyungie, just don't scream."

I did not know what I was feeling. I didnt know if I was happy, or sad, or scared, or a mixture of all. One thing's for certain, I was talking to EXO-K's dead leader.

" Hyung?" I asked him nervously.

" Hi Kyung." he replied as he smiled and patted my head.

I gulped, trying to believe at the sight in front of me. At first, I thought I was just hallucinating, but, once he started talking to me and about the things around me, I was convinced.

" Kyung, I think your food's burning." Joonmyeon-hyung said as he pointed at the stove.

I looked at the stove and saw a huge grease fire.

" Oh crap." I said as I stood up and put the lid on the pan. Eventually, the grease fire died.

" Thank you." I mumbled as I turned the stove off and took the pan of it.

I turned around and saw Joonmyeon-hyung still sitting on the floor, looking at me.

" What?" I asked him.

" Nothing. I just wanna taste your food. I'm hungry." Joonmyeon-hyung replied.

" Ghosts get hungry?" I asked.

" Yeah, especially the unrested ones." he replied.

Once he said "unrested", my eyes widened, and I said:

" What do you want Kim Joonmyeon? Please leave me alone. Don't take my life."

He chuckled as he approached me , hugged me and said:

" Look at you. You're panicking. You're so adorable."

" Of course, you just said that you're an unrested soul. Surely, you'd want something from me. So, what do you want, hyung?" I asked him, letting go of his hug.

" What I want? Well, I don't wanna go without eating your food, and I wanna spend more time with you." he replied, as he scratched his head.

I nodded my head, and in a split second, my eyes started to get watery. Apparently, Joonmyeon-hyung spotted this, so he wiped my tears and pulled me into a hug.

" Don't cry, Kyungie. You'll be alright." he said as he continued patting my back.

" Hyung. Why? Why did you leave me?" I asked as I hugged him even more tighter.

" I never left you, Kyung. I was always here, you just didn't see me." he replied.

" But, hyung, physical presence is more important. I need you by my side. We all need you. I need someone to hug, someone to comfort me and someone to act as my father. That's you, hyung. I need someone like you." I said, letting more tears fall from eyes .

Yeah, I'm very emotional. I admit that. Although I seem tough, I always cry, especially when it comes to the dead.

" Kyungie, don't worry. You remember what we always say before, right?" he asked me.

" We are one." I replied.

" Yeah, we are one. Both of us, we are one. So, just remember that I'll always be with you. And if ever need my help, never hesitate to call my name, because I'll be there." he told me.

I just nodded my head.

" And promise me one thing, that insecurity issue of yours, get rid of it. Tell Jongin to do the same." he added.

" I promise, hyung." I replied.

We ended up staring and smiling at each other for three minutes before Joonmyeon-hyung said:

" So, let me taste your slightly-burned fried rice. Even though it's burned, I'll taste what my umma cooked for me."

" Well, taste it, appa." I replied with a smile.

Yeah, I guess you already know. I call him appa. He calls me umma.

He got a spoonful of the rice and placed it in his mouth. He widened his eyes and he got another spoonful and continued chewing.

" So? Is it good?" I asked him.

" So good. Oh My God, where did you get this recipe?" he asked me.

" Um, I made it myself." I said. " I didn't even taste it yet." I added.

" So, this is a new recipe?" he asked.

" More or less, yeah." I replied.

He nodded his head as he continued to eat my meal. I was hungry, I know that, but, "Joonmyeon-appa" was hungry, so, I let him eat it.

" Kyungie, you gotta promise me something." he said as he started finishing the remaining food on his plate.

" What is it?" I asked him.

" You gotta cook this for the boys. Make them eat this. You said that you just made it, and I said it myself, this is very delicious. So, make it for them." he told me.

" Arasso." I replied as I nodded my head.

He smiled at me and afterwards, he gripped my hand and said:

" Take care of yourself, Kyung. Don't worry, never hesitate to call my name, because I'll be here for you."

" I will, hyung." I said as I shed a few tears.

Joonmyeon-hyung approached me as he extended his arms to hug me. I wasted no time running to him and hugging him back.

" Take care of yourself, appa." I said to him.

The next thing I found out was that I was laying down on my bed, hugging a pillow tightly. I widened my eyes once I found out that I was just dreaming. I looked at the digital clock on my bedside table and it was just two in the morning.

I couldn't help but chuckle, I dreamt of Joonmyeon- hyung.

" Crap, Kim Joonmyeon. Why now? From all times, why now?" I said to myself as I started crying.

A few minutes passed, and I heard something from outside my room. I sat up, because I thought someone was robbing our dorm. But, it did not sound like someone robbing our dorm. It seemed like someone crying.

" Luhan, are you okay?"

" Shh. It's okay. Lu, everything will be fine."

" Hyung, I dreamt about Joonmyeon."

" You did too?"

" You dreamt about him?"


It was Minseok-hyung and Luhan-hyung. And, they were talking about Joonmyeon-hyung. So, I stood up from my bed, and went out of my room, making sure that the maknaes wouldn't wake up.

I opened the door, which caught Luhan and Minseok-Hyung's attention. I found them hugging each other, while crying, which was cute. But, now just wasn't the time to find them cute, because I knew that they were also sad.

" Kyungie, you're awake." Minseok-hyung said as he wiped his tears away.

" You dreamt about Joonmyeon-hyung too?" I asked them.

They looked at each other for a moment, before they approached me and hugged me.

This time, I couldn't help it. I cried.

" Don't worry, Kyung, you're not alone." Luhan-hyung said as he and Minseok-hyung continued to comfort me.

 



Yixing's POV

I looked at my watch, and it was still three in the morning. I wanted to sleep, that was a fact. But, for some reason, I found myself reading a book. The same book Joonmyeon let me read before he died. By the way, if you guys are curious on the book's title, it's "I Am Number Four" by Patticus Lore.

So, I was already a few pages from the end of the book, when suddenly, tears fell from my eyes. I wiped them off unconsciously. I say unconsciously, because I didn't know why I cried, or how I ended up crying or something related to that. I'm like Kris, I'm not a man to cry, but, when the occasion calls for it, I cry.

Sometimes, I just wish Joonmyeon-hyung was still here. I wanted to more spend time with him, tell him how awesome this book was, and if possible, I wanted to borrow the next book.

 I flipped the last page of the book and closed it. I sighed as I shed a few tears and set the book aside. It was silent for a moment before someone asked:

" So, is the book nice?"

Thinking it was Baekhyun or Jongdae, I quickly snapped back at whoever it was.

" I told you not to--" I yelled, but, stopped myself after I saw who I was with.

Probably, you guys already know who I'm talking about. If you don't, I'll tell you who it is. I bet you all know the pale-faced, black-haired
and no offense, short angel.

" Not to what?" Joonmyeon asked me.

I widened my eyes. Like literally, it was wider than Kyungsoo's. Upon seeing him, I didn't know what to do. I was thinking if I should hug him, or talk to him or stare at him at disbelief, or yet, if I should scream in an operatic mode. What I only knew was, my dead hyung was in front of me, asking me why I yelled at him.

" Um, nothing." I replied, making the conversation as normal as possible, although it wasn't normal at all.

" Oh, okay." he said as he at at the edge of my bed and played with the sheets.

It was silent for a moment. Like literally, none of us was speaking. I actually had a lot of stuff to tell him, but, I just can't. It seemed like everything was in my mouth and it just couldn't get out because my mouth was zipped shut.

" So, the book?" he asked me.

" Uh, it was nice. Kinda sad that the book ended." I replied, without looking at him.

" Really? Well, you should read the sequel to it." he told me.

" A s-sequel?" I asked him.

" Yeah. Actually, there are two more books after this. It's called "Power of Six" and "Rise of Nine." You should read it. It's really cool." he replied to me with a smile.

I nodded my head back at him. It seemed pretty much normal now. Well, not really because I was talking to my dead hyung, and we were talking about books, like we always used to do before, when he was still a living creature.

I sighed and asked him a question I longed to ask him ever since we lost him:

" Hyung, why didn't you tell me?"

" Tell you what?" He asked me back.

" That you had leukemia. You had a terrible blood disease and you didn't even tell us. And even though you didn't have that accident, you'd be gone anyway.So, why didn't you tell us?" I asked him, as tears started to fall from my eyes.

He looked at me for a moment, before he crawled to my side of the bed and sat beside me. He wiped my tears and asked:

" You still can't get over it, huh?"

" What do you mean by that? Of course, everyone can't get over your death. You should have heard the news a while ago; it was all about you. There were a lot of crying girls outside the SM Building, and don't even get me started on the eleven of us. We locked ourselves up in different rooms and we didn't talk to each other, because all we think about is you!" I replied, letting more tears fall from my eyes.

" Yah. You guys should actually be talking to each other, not avoiding each other. You should be there for each other, especially that I'm not physically with you anymore. But, Xing, remember that no matter what happens, I'll be there. You might not see me, but, I'll always be by your side." he said, as he put one hand on my shoulder while the other hand, wiping the tears on my cheeks.

" How would I know that you're telling the truth?" I asked him.

" Dude, I'm Kim Joonmyeon. I always keep my promises. If in case you forgot what my promise was, I promised you that I'll always be by you're side, all you need to do is to call my name, and I assure you, I'll be there." he replied as he pulled me into a hug.

" You promise?" I asked him, as I let my tears fall on his shoulder and stain his plain white tee.

" Positive." he said as he released himself from the hug and patted my head.

I nodded my head, and understood what he said. I didn't complain and bug him with a lot of questions like some six-year old kid asking for candy. I knew that he was saying the absolute truth and I knew that he will never break that promise because Joonmyeon never breaks his promises.

" I'm gonna miss you, hyung." I said as I made eye contact with him, probably the first time I did in the past five minutes I spent with him.

" I'll miss you too, Xing." he said as he pinched my cheek and patted my head.

We spent a minute smiling at each other before I asked him:

" So, could you tell me anything about the 'Power of Six?' It seems really interesting."

" No, I'm not telling you anything." he replied

" Oh come on, hyung! Tell me something about the book. Tell me if something happens to them or not!" I forced him.

" Why don't you read the book?" he asked me.

" Well, first of all, I don't have the book. Second, I don't have time and money to buy it and third, I don't even feel like reading it." I replied.

He looked at me weirdly for a moment before he said:

" Well, your third reason is weird, but speaking of your first and second reason, you don't need to look for the book anymore."

" Why?" I asked him.

" Under your bed." he said.

 At first, I didn't understand him, but, when he started pointing under my bed, I decided to look under it. So, I looked at whatever was under my bed, but, all I saw was pitch black. And, it was also when I realized that my eyes were closed.

I opened my eyes, a.k.a. I woke up and found the book on my lap. Realizing that everything was just a dream, I buried my face on my hands and muttered:

" Oh crap. Not again, Kim Joonmyeon."

Afterwards, I started crying. I was crying for about a minute when I remembered something. I quickly got off my bed and looked under it. And, as expected, I found something.

I found two small gift-wrapped boxes and a note on top of it:

 Hey, Xing. I guess you like the book you borrowed from me. So, if in case I can't reach your birthday, here's a little something for you. Happy Birthday.
                                                                                                                                                                                                            -Joonmyeon

 
I quickly opened the two gifts and what I saw made me chuckle. I saw two books- the sequel to the book I read. The books " Power of Six" and " Rise of Nine"

I hugged the books, because it made me think of him.

" Thanks, hyung." I said as I let a few tears fall from my eyes.

I spent a moment or two hugging the books when I heard something from outside my room:

" Don't worry, Kyung, you're not alone."

" Hyung, he came to me in my dream."

" I know, Kyung. Don't worry, he probably came to the others as well."


I widened my eyes as I heard Minseok-hyung, Luhan-ge and Kyungsoo talk about their dreams about Joonmyeon. So, I hurriedly went out of my room and asked them:

" You dreamt about him too?"

" You too?" Minseok-hyung asked me.

" Yeah, wow, we've been having dreams about him at the same time." Luhan said, wiping the tears he shed a few moments ago.

I looked at Kyungsoo, who was crying his heart out. I approached him and hugged him tightly.

" Don't worry, Kyung, we'll move on, eventually."

And at the moment, I started crying.

 

A.N. // Another crappy chapter. *sigh* Anyway, here it is.Sorry for the typos.//