2 - The Strongest Of Hearts

You Make Me Want To Live Again

           It had been a little over a week since ____ first walked through the door of ‘DO’s Music’. Since then he could not thinking about her; her hair, her eyes, and her smile. It infatuated him to the point he could barely sleep at night. As he lay on his bed, he faced out the large window that looked over the store’s front. His house was on top of the store, which was very convenient for him when he wanted to leave in a hurry.

            It was Sunday, Kyungsoo’s day off, and another worker was helping out in the shop, and the streets were filled with people enjoying the fresh sun. That was also something Kyungsoo noticed, since ____ came along, there hasn’t been a single rainy day. It was as if she moved the clouds away with her smile alone. Kyungsoo stood up from his bed and walked over to the window, opening it and climbing through onto the metal landing. From there, he could see the movement of the city below more quickly. Kyungsoo sighed as he felt the cool breeze dance over his skin and through his black hair. From down below, he could hear the sound of a girl’s laughter through the loud crowds underneath him. Eagerly, he leaned over only to find a group of school girls walking past. Kyungsoo shook his head and sighed in disappointment, he cannot stop thinking about ____.

            It was when he heard his phone ringing that he climbed back through the window and to his desk, where his phone sat ringing. He picked it up and froze at the caller id. ‘____ (Wet Piano Girl)’. Kyungsoo hesitated a bit before sliding his thumb across the screen and placing the phone to his ear and muttered a quiet “h-hello.”

            Don’t stutter you idiot.

            “I’m sorry, what was that?” the girl joked.

            Kyungsoo cleared his throat. “Hello.” He said louder.

            “There, that’s better don’t you think?” Kyungsoo could hear the laughter in her voice as she spoke, and sat himself down on the bed to stop him from falling over.

            “Look, I’m sorry for not calling sooner, but I’ve have been heaps busy with work. The amount of people wanting to book their kids in for piano lessons is insane.” ____ said. Kyungsoo laughed softly at her comment, knowing that back in the day he would have been one of those kids.

            “Anyway, I’m free now, and I was wondering if you would want to go out for a coffee, or just walk around, or-“

            “Yeah, I’d like that.” Kyungsoo cut her off a little to fast for his liking. He face palmed himself and cursed silently at his over excitement.

            ____ giggled at his outburst, “Cool, I’ll be at the shop in about half an hour. See you soon Kyungsoo.”

            She hung up before Kyungsoo could get a word in. To him, she was just as exited as he was. In a frantic mood, he rushed to his wardrobe and changed into something more presentable for ____. ‘Something simple,’ he thought.

            After changing and freshening up, he walked downstairs to the front doors. It wasn’t as busy as normal but customers were still lingering around. Kyungsoo was a foot away from the door when he stopped by a male’s voice.

           

            “Where you off too?” Kyungsoo turned around to see his co-worker and long time friend, Kim Jongin.  

            Kyungsoo met Jongin during high school. He was the transfer student one year younger and from an art’s academy across the state, a dance major. They were seat mates for a full semester, so there was no excuse for them not to communicate to each other. He was the first friend Kyungsoo brought home to meet his mother, but he was still distant to Jongin. Kyungsoo’s mother immediately took a liking to him and offered him a job which he gladly accepted. Jongin never pried on Kyungsoo’s past, but rather went with the flow of the present, that was what Kyungsoo liked about him.

            Kyungsoo’s eye’s wandered around the room, avoiding Jongin’s dark yet playful stare. “No where in particular.” He said.

            Jongin tilted his head to the side, knowing that what his friend said was a lie. Kyungsoo was about to explain himself when the door opened behind him and a girl stood next to him. Kyungsoo froze as he stared at exactly who he thought it was.

            “Ready to go?” ____ said.

            “Uh-huh,” Kyungsoo nodded with his mouth open in awe. How did she get more beautiful in a week? Her hair was straighter since the last time he saw her, and shone a chestnut hue. The light from behind her made her entire stature glow a golden outline.

            Angel. Definitely an angel.

            “Just for a walk, right Kyungsoo?” Jongin chuckled. “Aren’t you going to introduced me to your friend?”

            Kyungsoo snapped out of his trance, “____, Jongin. Jongin, ____” he said quickly, wanting the moment to end. The other two shook hands before ____ pulled Kyungsoo’s arm to walk outside. As soon as they stepped out the door, Kyungsoo gave a glare to Jongin as he shouted, “don’t’ have too much fun kids.”

           

            ____ led Kyungsoo towards the park down the road from the city. It was quieter, easier to think to your self. The sun streamed through the trees, creating patterned shadows on the path below their feet. Kyungsoo hadn’t been to the park in years, he didn’t seem the need to. Not with all the couples and families running about, he was on his own for most of the time.

            “Coffee now or later?” ____ asked.

            “Now please.” Kyungsoo replied.

            ____ showed him to a small coffee vendor in the middle of the square. It was a pretty sight as the white cherry blossoms swayed in the light breeze, little petals floating around the park like snowflakes in winter.

            “What do you want?” ____ asked.

            “Something with caramel.”

            “You must like the same thing as me,” she said with her eyebrows raised. They stepped forward and took both their orders.

            “Two regular caramel cappuccino’s please.”

            Angel and a mind reader.

            Kyungsoo was about to bring out his wallet to pay for the drinks, only to be beaten by ____ who was already handing change to the barista. ‘So much for being a gentleman. Don’t say anything to Jongin.

 

            The two walked silently for a little while, just enjoying the scenery around them. Kyungsoo forced himself to not glance over at ____. He might die of embarrassment if she were to catch him staring at her. That was when he brought up the courage to speak up first.

            “At least it’s not raining,” he said casually.

            ____ laughed. “You’re seriously talking about the weather?”

            “Kyungsoo’s shoulder’s dropped, “sorry.”

            “Don’t be, everything right now is perfect.” Kyungsoo got the double meaning of her words and raised his head with pride.

            “So Kyungsoo,” ____ started, “you already know so much about me because I never keep my mouth shut.” She laughed at her own words. “Tell me about yourself.”

            Kyungsoo gave her a puzzled look, “what would you want to know?”

            “Hmm,” she paused to think of a question. “Why do you work in the music shop? You like music?”

            Kyungsoo became silent. This was the one thing Kyungsoo wanted to avoid. “It’s kind of a long story.” Kyungsoo said with his head hung low. He kept walking while ____ walked ahead and lifted herself onto the nearby stone retaining wall.

            “We have time,” she gave him a look of sincere. Kyungsoo took a deep breath and sat beside her. ____ could sense the unsure feeling emitting from Kyungsoo, “is it ok to talk about?”

            “Yeah,” Kyungsoo gulped. “Its fine, I just haven’t told lots of people before.”

            “Oh. I’m here to listen. Just take it slow.”

           

            Kyungsoo breathed in deeply and closed his eyes. He knew he could trust ____, so why was it so nervous for him?

            “It all started when I was a kid, my parents got me a key board for my birthday…” He told her the things he wanted to forget, the music recitals, competitions, the opening of the shop, the happiness in his life. ____ listened to every word he had to say and smiled at the small happy things he said, only because he didn’t.

            “You were so happy as a kid. I’ve only met your mother though, what about your dad?”

            Kyungsoo stared blankly in front of him. It was such a bad time in his life he wanted nothing more than to shut it out from everyone, yet at the same time he knew it was time to speak out about it.

            “He died.” Kyungsoo looked at ____ from the corner from his eye, her eyes wide and mouth parted in disbelief. “He dies from cancer seven years ago.”

            “I’m so sorry,” she looked in the same direction as Kyungsoo.

            “Don’t be,” he said. “It’s not your fault.”

            “You must have been so gutted at that. I know the feeling.”

            Kyungsoo turned his head and looked at ____ confusingly. “What do you mean?”

            “My mother died three years ago, she was in a car accident.”

            Kyungsoo sat the coffee cup down and played with this thumbs, ‘someone understands’.

            “It was horrible, for a while at least.” She looked up to the sky, the sun was already beginning to set and once blue horizon turned into a mixture of orange and yellow hues. “After a while, I realised that I can’t be sad forever, she wouldn’t want that.” She smiled widely and turned towards Kyungsoo. “She used to play the piano as well,” Kyungsoo closed his in disbelief of the similarities between him and ____. “She would always tell me to smile whenever you possibly could. And to enjoy life, that was her motto.”

            Kyungsoo thought about her statement, “You sound like my mother. What about your father?”

            “At first it was hard for him, but he’s the same as me. He now works a fair distance in the country, out and about half the time.” She said, “right now he’s on a weekly business trip and won’t be back until Thursday.”

            “That’s good,” Kyungsoo nodded his head.

“I guess all of us have strong hearts to fight the heartache.”

Kyungsoo exhaled, ‘if only she knew.’ He looked up to see the sky growing darker as the minutes passed by. “It’s getting late, we should probably get going.”

            ____ sighed, “Yeah I guess.” The two dropped to the floor at the same time and walked the direction towards the city. They stopped at the bus stop and waited for the vehicle to arrive. ____ shuffled through her bag and took out her pass and smiled at Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo smiled back, his eyes squinting the slightest bit.

            As the bus was in sight, ____ turned to Kyungsoo. “Would it be alright if I drop by tomorrow morning?” She asked. “I don’t have any classes booked until the afternoon so could I play the piano again by any chance?”

           “Absolutely,” he said.

            “Great,” she grinned happily. As the bus stopped in front of them, ____ turned around to wave goodbye, “I’d love to hear you play something as well, I’ll see you tomorrow.” Kyungsoo waved back, his heart almost stopping.

           Play? In front of her? He watched the bus drive away and began to walk back to his house. As if he was watching, Jongin was waiting for Kyungsoo to return.

           “How did it go?” the younger said.

           “Good, we talked and had coffee.”

            Jongin frowned, “that’s it?”

           “Yeah, we got closer though. I’ll see you later.” Kyungsoo said as he moved past his friend before he could get another word in. He trode to his room and dropped to his bed.

           His mind went a hundred miles a minute. It was a point in his life that he knew he wasn’t alone. Kyungsoo closed his eyes and breathed slowly.

           “Kyungsoo, I know you’re home, dinner’s ready.” His mother called from the kitchen. He moved to walk out the door to be stopped by the sound of a text message.

 

        To: Kyungsoo

Can I come around seven tomorrow morning? Yes thankyou, (I called your shop and your mother answered… she said yes.) See you soon J

From: ____ (Wet Piano Girl)

 

         Crap.

 


Chapter 2 is up! I'm so happy with this story haha.

Thanks for all the love :)

Andy^^