Eight

Training the untrainable

Chunji catches up to Hara and they queue up in the admissions line together.

They stand in an uncomfortable silence, neither knowing what to talk about.

"Hey, Hara-ssi?" Chunji says, breaking the silence.

"Yes?" Hara says, turning to look at him.

"Are you listening to my thoughts right now?" He asks quietly, not wanting to be overheard.

"No," she replies, "I block my powers as often as I can. But sometimes, when your emotions are too strong, you kind of just force your thoughts into my mind, and the minds of others like Joon and Chorong." Hara explains.

"Well... that . What are "strong" emotions anyway?" he asks.

"You know, like, if you're really happy or excited or sad or... I think you get the picture." She says.

They stand in silence once more, slowly moving closer to the admissions booth.

"I could teach you to block your thoughts, if you want?" Hara says, not enjoying the silence.

"But I thought you said that we couldn't block others from using their powers on us?" Chunji asks, confused.

"You listened!" Hara cheers, excited that she was making some progress with him. "And I've been thinking, perhaps you are powerful enough to block others! And, I mean, we have nothing else to do right now, so why not test your powers?"

Chunji's eyes light up at the prospect of being the first to have a one-on-one lesson, and therefore be the most powerful. He nods and thanks Hara for the opportunity as they step up to the admissions booth, having finally reached the front of the queue.

"Two tickets, please!" Chunji says, handing over the money to pay.

"What are you doing? I have money to pay for my own ticket!" Hara exclaims, pulling Chunji's hand away from the window.

"What difference does it make, Hara-ssi? This money is technically yours!" Chunji says, making Hara let go of his wrist as he continues to pay. After receiving their tickets and entering the amusement park grounds, Chunji starts laughing.

"What's so funny?" Hara asks.

"I paid for your admittance, so now it's officially a date!" He says cheerfully, pulling out his wallet to show that he even used his own money to pay.

"You're such a weirdo!" Hara says, turning away from him as he continues to giggle.

"A weirdo you're on a date with!" Chunji cheers, slinging an arm around Hara's shoulder, which she pushes off immediately.

"Fine, if you want to call it a date, I won't stop you, as long as you don't touch me." Hara says sternly.

"I'll take what I can get!" Chunji says cheerfully, running along to look at some games and gesturing for Hara to follow him.

The first place Chunji stops at is a shooting game where you have to shoot a number of targets in order to win a prize.

"In response to your earlier question," Chunji says to Hara, "the first thing I like to do on a date is prove my worth to the girl. And by worth, I mean my manliness." He says smugly, flexing his arms.

"I've seen pre-pubescent girls with bigger muscles than that, but do continue!" Hara says, seeing if she can affect his confidence.

Apparently not, she thinks, as Chunji dances briefly in front of her, showing that he's not bothered by what she said and still as confident as ever, before paying to have a turn.

He picks up the toy gun and smiles at Hara, sending her his notorious smile that makes girls weak at the knees. Hara just raises an eyebrow at him and mouths "Not working." before smirking at him.

Turning to the game, Chunji begins shooting, earning 2500 points and making it to level 6. The person running the booth congratulates him, informing Chunji that he was just 20 points away from the record. Chunji then chooses a little plush teddy bear holding a heart and holds it out to Hara.

"For you!" He says, squeezing the bear as it says "Be mine! I love you!".

"So, you win at a game and give them a gift so ... whenever they look at it, they will be reminded of your manly prowess?" Hara says, pretending to take notes.

"Pretty much!" He says, winking at her. "But don't go stealing my game, okay? I don't think the world is ready for two of me yet." he muses.

"Do I get a turn next?" Hara asks.

"Obviously! This is the part where you feign not knowing what to do so I stand behind you and show you how to shoot and there's usually a lot of and kissing involved. I won't lie." He says, wiggling his eyebrows at her.

Hara laughs at him and picks up the gun, paying for her own game and making Chunji pout because he wanted to pay. The first round, she doesn't even look at the targets and hits every single one. The bells ring and a huge crowd gathers as Hara creates a new record, moving on to level 17 and not even showing signs of struggling. Chunji watches her in amazement, his eyes constantly moving between Hara and the game. Hara looks at him subtly, glad that he is happy. People begin pushing in front of Chunji and he gives up, his smile disappearing as he makes his way to the back of the crowd.

 

"You're not seriously ditching me on our date, are you?" Hara suddenly asks, standing next to him.

Chunji whirls around to look  back at the game, everyone wondering where the record-breaker disappeared to.

"Let's quickly go somewhere else for now, okay?" Hara says, grabbing Chunji by the hand and running away, not wanting the crowd to see her and suspect anything.

Hara tries to find somewhere quiet where she can help Chunji practice, coming across a water balloon fight area that is evidently rather unpopular.

"Perfect!" Hara says satisfied, looking around and not seeing a single person. Chunji's silence brings her attention back to their adjoined hands, Hara quickly dropping his hand as though it were on fire.

"Okay, so to block other people from --" Hara quickly begins, before Chunji interrupts her.

"WATER BALLOON FIGHT!" He yells, excitedly, before apologizing to Hara and putting on a serious face.

Hara tries not to laugh at him as she continues.

"First, to block your thoughts, just imagine a wall going up inside your whole brain. Then, like, expand the wall, sending it out in all directions! It's pretty simple." Hara explains, as Chunji nods, pretending to understand what she's saying.

"To block others from using their powers on you ... sorry, I've never taught this before... I'm not quite sure how to explain it." Hara says, sighing as she looks at her feet. 

"You can do it! Hara-ssi fighting!" Chunji says, smiling encouragingly at Hara.

She returns his smile as she tries to explain. 

"Uh, around your stomach area, you should feel your powers radiating. You know, the place that you get your tingling feeling before you become invisible?" Hara says as Chunji nods, "Good. Now, focus on that power and try and ... try and draw it out of your body. It will feel like a snake or something is coming out of you, but once you have drawn it out, it should prevent others from using their powers on you." Hara finishes.

Chunji smiles and pretends he understands, but Hara sighs, knowing that she has confused him.

"Here, maybe it's easier if I show you." Hara says, taking a step closer to Chunji.

"Don't read too much into this." Hara warns, taking Chunji's left hand in her own and wrapping her right hand around his neck, making his forehead touch hers. She feels Chunji stiffen at her touch, noticing how he is holding his breath. Just as she's about to begin, Chunji bursts out laughing, accidentally spraying Hara with his spit.

"Ew! What the hell, Chunji?" She asks, bending down to wipe her face with the bottom of her dress.

"I'm so sorry, Hara-ssi!" Chunji says, bowing repeatedly, "It's just, you were standing so close to me and you were being so serious and I didn't want to breathe into your face--"

"So, naturally, you decide spitting on me would be the better option?" Hara says sarcastically, morphing her clothes into a new outfit, changing her hair while she's at it.

"You look amazing, Hara-ssi!" Chunji says, Hara smiling at his compliment. "I should spit on you more often!" He jokes, realizing it was too soon to make a joke as Hara flicks his forehead.

"I won't spit this time, I promise!" He says. Hara pauses to consider for a moment before she steps forward once more and resumes her position.

Once their foreheads are connected, Hara delves into Chunji's mind and creates the wall for him, telling him to expand it. Hara feels him send the wall out everywhere and steps closer to him. She then focuses on his power, beginning to draw it out and making him do it with her and together they draw some of his power out of his body, the power circling the two of them several times, creating a glowing aura around them. Hara slowly lets go of Chunji and steps backwards, the glow fading.

"Why is it disappearing?" Chunji asks, trying to get it back by waving his arms frantically in the air.

"I just made it glow so you would have something to actually see." Hara explains. "You did well, Chunji."

"It worked?" He asks, excited.

"Yes, it worked. For the record, that's why I had to stand so close to you. We were kind of tricking your body into thinking I was part of you so you wouldn't end up blocking me, because we were working together... ugh, I'm not making any sense..." Hara trails off, shaking her head.

"I understand!" Chunji says cheerfully, making Hara smile. He then his head to one side and tries to use his aegyo on her.

"Water balloon fight?" He says cutely, Hara shaking her head before finally conceding.

They go to opposite ends of the court, hiding under their fortresses and loading up their slingshot things with water balloons. Chunji releases his first and it explodes near Hara's feet. Hara then releases her first one and it lands on the board Chunji hides under, exploding all over him as he squeals from the coldness of the water.

Chunji's next one explodes over Hara's head and they continue firing until they both risk catching a cold, drenched from head to toe in ice-cold water.

They emerge from behind their dripping fortresses and congratulate each other on the good game. There is only one towel left so Chunji picks it up and blushes as he wraps it around Hara.

"You take it! You're shivering!" She says to Chunji, trying to get him to take it.

"Um, I have a jacket on though." He explains awkwardly, avoiding eye contact with Hara by looking down at the ground.

"But your jacket is wet so you're just as cold as I am!" Hara tries to reason, holding the towel out to him.

"Just take the towel, Hara! Uh, I mean, Hara-ssi, please take the towel." he corrects himself.

"Is this another usual part of your date? Acting all chivalrous so your date will be ever so grateful?" Hara mocks, laughing.

"Hara-ssi, you're wearing a white shirt and it has been drenched in cold water." Chunji explains slowly, looking up at the sky to avoid eye contact still.

"What's your point, Chunji? You're wearing a white shirt too!" she says, wondering why he won't look at her.

"For a girl who supposedly knows everything, I'm surprised you didn't know that the cold water would make your shirt see-through!" Chunji laughs, making himself invisible as Hara yelps, looking down and wrapping the towel tightly around her body.

"You couldn't have told me sooner?" Hara mutters, annoyed with Chunji. She turns to glare at him and notices that he has moved.

"Chunji? Where are you?" She asks, scared, worried about being alone.

She hears footsteps behind her and slowly turns around, her powers shutting down out of fear, preventing her from sensing who it is.

Standing behind her is Chunji. While she can sense that he is invisible right now, he is completely visible to her ... a fact he is apparently unaware of. As Hara glares at him, he walks up to her, stepping slightly out of her line of vision. He stands right in front of her now, Hara not knowing what to say, thinking that the longer she waits, the funnier it will be when she tells him she can see him. Then she notices Chunji stand on his toes as he tries to look down her towel, giggling quietly to himself. 

"YAH!" Hara yells as she pushes him over, sending him sprawling on the ground. He looks totally stunned as he lies on the ground, staring up at Hara in utter shock.

"Y-Y-You... You can see me?" Chunji stutters.

"Yes, I can see you, you ert!" She hisses, quickly changing them into dry clothes, having forgotten to do so before. 

"W-why so formal?" Chunji asks, gesturing to their new outfits.

"Everyone else got to dress up tonight, why can't we? And you're so lucky that Joon isn't here right now or he would have just kicked your !" Hara says, turning on her heel, before turning back to Chunji, who was still on the ground, to help him stand up. 

"He really cares about you, doesn't he?" Chunji asks slowly, brushing the dirt off his new outfit.

"He is my bodyguard. His job is literally to put my safety before his. If I am harmed, he risks execution, so yeah, I guess he kind of has to care about me." Hara says, shrugging.

"Execution?" Chunji laughs, thinking that Hara is exagerrating.

Hara laughs as well, liking the fact that Chunji doesn't know how important she is considered in the Other Realm.

"So I guess it's not a good thing that he left you alone tonight?" Chunji asks, rubbing his neck awkwardly, getting the sense that Hara wished Joon was there with her right now.

"He didn't leave me alone, I'm on a date!" Hara says, smiling to herself. "I'm on my first date!" she says quietly, giggling to herself.

"Would you care to dance, my lady?" Chunji asks, extending his hand to Hara.

"But there's no music!" Hara points out.

"We don't need music!" He says, reaching out for her hand before remembering her warning him not to touch her, pulling his hand away fast.

"I would be delighted to, dear sir!" Hara says, surprising Chunji by reaching out to grab his hand as they twirl around the water balloon area to the music in their head. As they waltz, Chunji slowly pulls Hara closer to him, realizing that he has never actually connected with a girl on a date before. He smiles as she rests her head on his shoulder and they slow dance around the court. Hara feels a strange feeling in her stomach and realizes that she has full control of her powers at that moment, something she was only ever capable of doing when Joon was there. She pulls away from Chunji, confused, wondering what makes this situation different. 

Chunji watches Hara as she frowns, deep in thought. Realizing that their moment is over, he looks around for something else for them to do and spies the Ferris Wheel. He has always wanted to take his dates up to the Ferris Wheel but never got around to it. Taking Hara's hand in his own, he drags her towards it, Hara initially stumbling until Chunji put one hand around her waist to keep her upright. When they finally sit down in their own carriage, Chunji takes the opportunity to look at Hara once more as she sticks out her bottom lip, still thinking.

"You're too cute when you do that." He says matter-of-factly.

She laughs gently as she smiles at him, pushing her other thoughts out of her mind. 

"Hara-ssi, thank you so much for my birthday gifts. I've never actually celebrated my birthday before." Chunji says quietly.

"I know." Hara says gently, taking in the beautiful view around them as they near the top. Hara involuntarily shivers from the cold breeze, hugging her arms and trying to decide on what kind of coat would go with her dress.

She feels a sudden warmth wrap around her and turns to Chunji, who has draped his blazer around her shoulders. Hara tries to give it back to him but he just wraps it tighter around her, smiling. She's too touched by the gesture that she can only manage a little nod of gratitude, choking on the words in .

"Also, I'm really sorry about what I said to you that day." Chunji says, worried about bringing it up again.

Hara freezes for a moment before slowly nodding.

"It's okay, Chunji. It's just that ... I've never really been called names before and ...  I got over it!" Hara says, trying to smile at him.

"I was wrong about you, Hara-ssi. You're not ... you're not mean at all. You're one of the most caring people I have ever met and I never want to hurt you again." Chunji states, staring off into the distance, not noticing Hara turn to look at him.

Her eyes glaze over with tears, before she shakes her head, forcing herself to smile. She admires the view as they reach the top of the Ferris Wheel, both of them sitting in a comfortable silence. Hara then remembers that they have to meet the others in just a few minutes. Not wanting to break the silence, Hara reaches out slowly and touches Chunji's hand, silently thanking him for tonight. Chunji doesn't even feel her hand on his until they have almost reached the bottom once more. Chunji looks down at their hands in surprise, before looking back up at Hara who smiles warmly at him, her eyes sparkling. 

Chunji takes a deep breath and closes his eyes, leaning in closer to Hara, angling his head to kiss her on the lips. He can feel her warmth radiating as he gets closer, so close that they're almost touching. 

That's when Chunji blacks out.


"Why do we always have to be the ones that wait?" Naeun says impatiently, tapping her foot on the ground as she looks at Joon expectantly.

"It's better for us to arrive early than have Hara wait for us. Believe me!" Joon replies, glad that none of the other couples are complaining. Not that any of them seem to mind waiting. He thinks, looking around at the other couples that sit on benches, chatting each other up. Namjoo is wrapped tightly in L.Joe's arms as they share a private moment, Hayoung and Ricky are having an aegyo battle, Changjo and Bomi are deeply immersed in a Rock, Paper, Scissors game and Chorong, CAP, Niel and Eunji are chatting away with one another.

"HARA-SSI!" Eunji suddenly calls out, waving at the Ferris Wheel. All the others turn to look at the Ferris Wheel, spotting Hara and Chunji in a carriage near the top. 

"They look so close! Such a cute couple!" Bomi cooes.

"Look, she's even wearing his jacket!" Chorong adds, squealing.

Naeun watches Joon as he tenses up, staring intensely at their carriage and rolls her eyes

Their carriage has almost reached the bottom now, but Hara gives no sign of having seen them. The two gaze deep into each others eyes, unaware that they have an audience.

"Omo! He's going to kiss her!" Eunji squeals, kicking her legs in excitement.

Joon tenses up, trying to think on his feet of the best way to intervene. 

The group suddenly gasps collectively as Ricky cries out "What happened to Chunji hyung?". 

Hara has her hands up in front of as Chunji slumps in his seat, completely unconscious.

Their carriage reaches the bottom as Hara looks around frantically, her eyes landing on Joon as she glares at him. Joon, in return, looks as if he has seen a ghost, the color completely drained from his face as he stares at Chunji in utter horror.

"What the hell is wrong with you, Chansung?" she yells, attracting the attention of many people as they walk past.

The others stare, confused, between the two and wonder what happened. Namjoo is the first to notice the sharp blade from the Ferris Wheel that sticks out where Chunji's head was just moments ago, the others noticing soon after.

Hara drags Chunji out of their carriage carefully, before placing a hand on his heart and using an electric pulse to make him regain consciousness. He stares at her in a daze as she helps him stand up.

"Dinner time, anyone?" Hara asks, regretting yelling at Joon in front of the others and pretending to be cheerful so as to not ruin their evening.

The others slowly follow Hara back to the parking lot, where a series of horse-drawn carriages await to take them back to the school. Each couple steps into their own carriage, Hara and Chunji sitting on seperate sides. 

"What happened, Hara-ssi?" Chunji asks, confused.

"It doesn't matter anymore, Chunji. You're safe." Hara says, smiling weakly at him, leaving Chunji even more confused.

The last thing he remembered was leaning in to kiss Hara and then suddenly everyone was all awkward and he was lying on the ground. He scratches his head and decides he will ask again later. As they pull up to the school, Hara gracefully leaps out of the carriage and heads towards the ballroom, announcing to everyone that they have twenty minutes to practice before dinner. Hara stands by the door as she sends them all into the ballroom, her hand shooting out to stop Joon as she shuts the door behind Naeun. 

"I'm sorry, Hara!" Joon says straight away, squeezing his eyes shut, wishing he could create some sort of shield to protect himself from Hara's wrath.

When she doesn't respond, he opens his eyes slightly to look at her and sees her just staring at the door. He can feel her emotions swelling up inside her and wishes that he were a bug so he could just squish himself right now. Had she just been angry with him, he would be able to deal with it. It's no secret that he's dealt with an angry Hara on more than one occassion. But now, on top of that anger is a mixture of despair, pain, anguish and what hurts Joon the most ... disappointment.

"I'm really sorry, Hara!" Joon pleads once more, as Hara slowly turns towards him.

"What was going through your mind?" she asks quietly.

"I... I just knew I needed to protect you but I couldn't think properly." he says, knowing there's no way to defend his actions.

"Protect me?" she repeats, "From what, exactly? It's not like he was going to murder me, Joon!" Hara says, raising her voice.

"It's my duty to keep you safe, Hara, not just breathing!" He tries to explain.

"You could have done anything! You could have pushed him away or used your speed to reach us before anything happened, but you didn't! If you cared about your so-called "duty", you could have stuck by me the whole night, but you didn't seem too preoccupied with fulfilling your duty before!" she says, shaking her head at him.

"I thought that you would act before I did, but you didn't even try to stop him! I waited for you to do something, but you didn't even move!" Joon cries out, letting his emotions get the best of him.

"I DID stop him! I stopped him in a reasonable way because even when I'm NOT thinking, apparently I'm thinking more than you!" Hara yells, tears stinging her eyes as her voice breaks, never having insulted Joon like that before.

"My brain wasn't working properly!" Joon tries to defend himself.

""Wasn't working properly"?" Hara repeats, "You were going to KILL him, Joon! Because he tried to kiss me once, you were going to put that blade through. His. Head! You have a duty to keep them safe as well, I ju- ... I just don't even know what's happened to you. You've changed." Hara says, her voice now no louder than a whisper. 

"I'm sor--" Joon says, not knowing how long he'll have to apologize for.

"Forget it." Hara says, cutting him off. "He's safe and they all had a good night, that's what matters, right?" Hara says, breaking into a smile. "Did you and Naeun have a good night?" Hara asks him in a friendly, conversational way.

"Uh, yeah, I guess!" Joon says, still not used to adjusting to Hara's mood swings.

"Great!" Hara cheers, "Let's have dinner then, shall we?" she says, smiling cutely at him before opening the doors, the others falling onto the ground as the doors open.

"Eavesdropping is not nice!" Hara says, wagging her finger at them with one hand on her hip before laughing and sending everyone ahead to dinner. Chunji lingers at the back, now trying to stay as far away from Joon as possible.

"Don't worry, Chunji. You're safe, it won't happen again." Hara says, pushing him down the corridor.

"Hara, it's not good to bottle your feelings up like that!" Chunji says, walking backwards as he looks at her, his eyes full of concern.

"You're so weird." Hara says once again, before reversing time for everyone else so they make it to dinner on timeentering the Dining Hall only five minutes after most of the other students.

"Hara-ssi! Hey, Hara-ssi! Over here!" Onew calls out, waving Hara over, having saved the same table from lunch for the whole group.

Hara walks over to Onew as the others collect their food, soon joining them at the table.

"Everyone is staring at you, Mystery Girl!" Onew giggles, as he tries to subtly look around the rest of the room.

"And you're sitting here because you want to be the centre of attention?" Hara asks, raising an eyebrow at him.

"No, I hate having attention, but it's worth it to sit at this table!" he says, fluttering his eyelashes jokingly at Hara, who sits opposite him.

"Why? So you can be near Hara-ssi?" Ricky asks, confused.

Onew laughs, looking at Ricky before he shakes his head.

"No ... so I can be near Mr Tough Guy, here!" Onew says, winking at Joon who gives him another WTF look.

"Oh, the two of you would make literally the cutest couple ever!" Hara says, clapping her hands together in delight as she laughs.

"Wouldn't we?" Onew says, jokingly.

"I'm totally going to set the two of you up together!" Hara gushes, earning high-fives from Bomi and Eunji who want to help.

"That's not funny, Hara!" Joon says, scared that Hara will stick to her word

At the same time, Onew quickly says "I was just joking, Hara-ssi! I'm straight!"

Hara looks at their scared faces and smirks evilly.

"...For now!" she says, as everyone else laughs at the look of terror on their faces.

 

After dinner, Hara announces that there will be no pratice tonight and they can do whatever they'd like.

The seven girls go back into their common room to hang out together, having a movie night in their common room.

They get changed into their pyjamas and pile onto the couches, bringing their blankets and pillows with them. Eunji suggests the watch Bruce Almighty while Bomi suggests and the City so Chorong decides that they will watch Bruce Almighty first and then and the City after. Bomi and Namjoo drag Hara into a spot in between them, hugging her tightly as they begin the movies. Hara stiffens at first, before relaxing and enjoying the movies. The girls all fall asleep on the couch when the second movie finishes with smiles on their faces, having enjoyed their first girls' night in.