Three

Training the untrainable

After a few hours have passed, Chunji makes his way over to the bench Joon is lying on.

"Changsun-ssi?" he whispers, checking if Joon is awake.

"Don't worry, I wasn't sleeping. I can't exactly relax if she's not here." He says, eyes still closed.

"About that..." Chunji begins, "I was just wondering if you think that Hara-ssi will be coming back today?" he asks quietly, still ashamed of himself.

"She'll return when she has calmed down. Last time that took one week, but there is a chance she'll come back today. If she convinces herself that the faster she trains you, the sooner you'll be taken off her hands, then she could be back any second now." Joon says, sitting up and rubbing his head.

"Aish! This hair is so weird and long! Maybe I should just get a haircut if she won't change it back." Joon muses.

"You're so lucky. The two of you seem so close. I doubt she will even speak to me when she does return, so do you think you could let her know that I'm really sorry and thank her for everything she did for me today?" Chunji asks.

"Tell her yourself, she doesn't hold grudges like that. If she held a grudge, it would mean she actually cared and ...well, she doesn't. She just needs to calm down." Joon finishes, getting up and walking back to the group who are still playing with the puppy, Chunji following close behind.

"Listen up, everyone. It's almost dinner time. Make your way to your dorms, settle down and get changed out of your uniforms then meet back in the Dining Hall in half an hour." He says, waiting for them to follow his orders.

Instead, he is met with 11 blank stares. Chunji then sits down on the grass with them, making a total of 12 doe-eyed teens staring at him blankly.

"So ... we're meant to continue on with things even though Hara-ssi isn't here?" CAP asks hesitantly.

"Naturally, especially as we have no idea when she will return." Joon replies.

"Can't you just find her and bring her back here, Changsun-ssi? You have powers too, don't you?" Naeun asks.

"Yeah, can't you just, like, track her down and make her come back or something?" Ricky asks.

"That's not how it works. I can't teleport and I can't "track her down". I know where she is, though. And even if I were able to go there, I wouldn't be able to convince her to come back. She's too stubborn." Joon explains.

"Well, where is she, then? And why can't you go there?" Chorong asks.

"You all ask too many questions." Joon says, sighing, understanding why Hara is so impatient.

"Hara has gone to the Other Realm, where only she has the power to travel back and forth. The only way we could contact her now would be to work together in the hopes of creating a sort of link between us and her. It would be like making a video call, except she can't choose whether to accept or not. But your powers are weak and Hara was meant to train you, not me. So, that won't work. And I can't think of any other options, so, yeah, we'll continue as though she's here.Joon finishes.

"How difficult could it be?" Niel asks.

"Would you actually be willing to try it?" Joon asks, looking at everyone as they nod or shrug in confirmation.

"Let's do this, then!" Joon says, making them stand in a circle and hold hands.

Standing in between CAP and Chunji, Joon tightly grips their hands and looks levelly at everyone.

"Okay, first off, everyone needs to focus on a happy memory. Calm down and then draw on the power that you should feel somewhere in your stomach ... maybe." he explains, unsure of what to say as it's his first time giving a crash course in using one's Gifts.

"The main powers that we'll require are teleportation, weather control and electricity. So, the three of you, I don't remember your names, draw on that power in your stomach. The rest of you, just focus on your powers and, I don't know, squeeze your eyes shut and hold onto each other's hands really tight so you can feel like you're doing something important?"

The others laugh and the tension is alleviated. Joon smiles.

"Okay, so what we're going to do is create a sort of cloud in front of us, pumping electricity through it and then we'll focus on teleporting the cloud to Hara. Don't worry, I will guide it to her. Just, focus on your powers and think happy thoughts, okay?" he asks, waiting until everyone has nodded before proceeding.

"Let's do this." he says.

The power surges in the group: each figure flickering as they become temporarily invisible; fire and ice encircling their joined hands. The ground begins to shake and some of them begin to hover off of the ground.

"Focus guys! Just picture the cloud in front of you!" Joon coaches.

Slowly, the air around them flickers as fog whirls around them. The wind picks up and a cloud begins to take shape in front of them, electricity pumping through it. Closing his eyes, Joon focuses on Hara and sending the cloud to her.

A clap of thunder causes the thirteen of them to open their eyes, gasping as one at the sight before them. 

Hara floats before them, inside the cloud, spread across a chaise lounge. Wrapped around her lounge is what, at first glance, looked like a raging fire but when it turns its head in their direction, the group realizes that it's a dragon.

Joon recognizes it as Hara's pet dragon that will scorch anyone it doesn't trust. Which is why he is even more surprised when he recognizes the figure sitting at the end of Hara's chaise, unscorched.

"What the hell are you doing with him, Hara?" Joon yells, making the other twelve jump in shock at the sudden noise.

Hara continues speaking to the other guy, her dragon's head and ignoring Joon.

The other guy, however, turns to look at Joon in disgust.

"It appears that you never learnt to only speak when spoken to, Joon." The other guy says, as though just saying Joon's name makes him want to hurl.

"Honestly, Hara, you were always too gracious to him. He is, after all, just a servant. A peasant that was never taught his place, apparently." he says, his eyes flickering back to Joon as he sneers.

"Give it a rest, Minho. You guys do this every single time!" Hara says, glaring at Minho. 

"Hara, when are you going to give this up?? You belong here. Just ... just promise me that you will consider my offer." he says, aware that they aren't alone.

"I will talk to you later, Minho. I have other business to take care of for now." Hara says, dismissing Minho.

Once he has left the room, Hara's flaming eyes land on the twelve.

"How cute. You're all working together and holding hands and whatnot. How ... touching." Hara says.

"Joon," she continues, her gaze flicking to Joon who unconsiously steps away from her, "you knew how risky this was and yet you did it anyway. I can read you like a book and even I have no idea what you were thinking, which just shows that you didn't actually think this through... except that you did." she says, the thought occurring to her even without reading his mind, "You thought that this way you wouldn't have to deal with me by yourself and I would either stay here and calm down or return to deal with things if they didn't work out."

Hara shakes her head at Joon and rolls her eyes, turning to her dragon and giving it an eskimo kiss.

"Goodbye, my precious one! I will miss you! But I will come to visit you very soon, okay?" she says, her hair flaming as she hugs the dragon, it's neck. As she hugs her dragon goodbye, Hara remembers that she has an audience and quickly severs the connection.

The cloud suddenly disappears and the thirteen let go of each other's hands. The younger ones all turn to Joon, wondering what they are meant to do now.

"If you don't hurry up, your dinner will get cold." a voice suddenly says from behind them.

"Hara-ssi!" Chunji cries out in excitement, turning around so fast that he almost breaks his neck.

The others all turn around quickly to face Hara in excitement as she approaches them, giving them all a slight shove towards the Dining Hall. Hara smiles as she watches them stumble first, secretly proud that they were powerful enough to contact her.

"But we don't keep secrets from each other." 

Hara turns to glare at Joon who is trying (and failing) to not laugh.

"I will deal with you later." Hara says menacingly, letting them fall back from the rest of the group. "I just need to calm down first, before I do something I may or may not regret later." she says, catching up to the others.

Joon tries to swallow the lump in his throat, afraid of what punishment Hara may have in store for him. He hopes that he didn't make her too angry.

"Nice dress, by the way." Hara calls back to him, over her shoulder.

Joon squeals as he looks down at the sparkly pink evening gown that he now wears, with matching heels apparently.

"HARA! CHANGE IT BACK!" He calls out in panic.

The other twelve stop walking to turn and look at him. They all double over laughing, clutching their sides and gasping for air. Hara, however, continues walking ahead as though she hasn't heard anything, the evil smile playing on her lips telling otherwise.