One

Training the untrainable

 

“Please, explain to me exactly what occurred today, Hara, and why we had to send a team of experts to retrieve Mr Jang, who is, might I add, still in a state of shock?”, the Queen says.

“Well, your grace, it’s quite simple, really." Hara begins, her arms crossed in frustration.
"Despite the fact that he is quite possibly the MOST difficult person in existence to be around, I trained him for almost one whole month. He quickly grasped every concept I taught him, except the, you know, “keep your hands to yourself" part. Today, as you know, was the last day of training and
I know, I was supposed to safely bring him into this realm, not let any harm befall him, etc. But just as we were about to leave, it appears that his confidence grew and he seemed to think it would be okay to, well ... make a move on me. So …

I sent him flying across the room and then he got stuck inside the concrete wall.

You would think that his ability to see into the future would prevent him from performing such foolish actions!” Hara concludes, laughing quietly to herself.

The Queen takes in a long, deep breath and exhales.

“And where were you while this was taking place, Mr Lee?” she asks, directing her gaze to the man standing protectively behind Hara, sneering slightly in disgust at him.

“I had sent him into the room next door.” Hara answered for him. She hates it when the Queen takes her anger out on Joon.

The Queen gives no sign of having heard Hara and just stares at Joon, waiting for an answer.

“I was following Miss Goo Hara’s orders and staying in the next room, your Highness. I was listening to Mr Jang's thoughts, though and was ready to act if necessary.” He replies, his voice void of all emotion.

Taking in another exasperated breath, the Queen dismisses Joon and all other Palace staff from her throne room.

 

“Hara, come here, please.” She says, gesturing for Hara to stand next to her.

As Hara obeys, the Queen takes her hand and pats it affectionately.

“Sweetie, we really need to work on controlling that temper of yours! You know you have trouble blocking your gifts when you’re angry!” the Queen says, gently.

“I believe that my "gifts", as you call them, were a great asset to me today, actually.” Hara replies, refusing to admit that her actions were wrong.

“Honey, you know that you are next in line for the throne. You will be Queen someday and even if nobody else knows it, you are currently a Princess. So you really must start acting like one! You may just consider your trainees to be a part of your job, but one day they will be your royal subjects! And if you treat them poorly now, they will resent you and possibly ove-”

“Overthrow me as Queen. I know, I understand and I will try harder in the future.” Hara recites, replaying the same conversation they always have.

“Dear, petulance is such an unattractive quality in a young lady.”

“Yes, your Highness.” Hara replies, pulling her hand away from the Queen’s.

“I really do love you, Hara.” The Queen says, sighing, knowing she has lost yet another opportunity to be closer to her.

“I love you too, your Majesty. May I please be dismissed now?”

“In one moment, sweetie. But first I need to talk to you about your next assignment…”

 


 

“She can be so frustrating sometimes, Headmaster Lee! Ever since she adopted me, she has pretended that we're really close and that we have a good relationship, but it's all an act. There's something strange about her but I don't want to use my abilities to find out what it is because what if I lose control? And she STILL has yet to tell me why she needs me to train these children! And now I have to train six boys and six girls who may not even know that they have powers and explain to them that they have to become powerful enough to enter into a whole other realm… and I’ll probably have to explain what a realm is too. I mean, it’s not so bad with the girls because they all already found each other and became really close and it’s my understanding that they’ve been exercising their abilities daily. But the boys? They all attend different schools and have never met one another! It would just be totally unreasonable to expect me to keep an eye on them all at all times of the day! So now I have been sent here to enroll all twelve of them-”

“Fourteen.” Joon butts in from behind Hara.

“Why fourteen?” she asks, turning around to look at him quizzically.

“You and I need to enroll too.” He says in the gentlest way he can manage, not wanting to sound like he was trying to be superior.

“I already graduated from high school. I have no need, nor the intention to go back to high school.” She says, about to turn back to the Headmaster.

“If we’re to keep an eye on them, without raising suspicions, this is the easiest way.” Joon reasons.

Turning back to Headmaster Lee, Hara continues.

“As I was saying, I am here to enroll fourteen,” she says, glancing haughtily over her shoulder at Joon and then back at the Headmaster, “students in your school here, starting from tomorrow. Seven females, seven males. All requiring on-campus accommodation, if possible. It’s not strange for so many students to begin so suddenly, and if there are any accidents at the school, you can’t really blame any of us. In any case, we won’t be here for long and we will have left before the end of the year. Even sooner, if these hormone-crazed teenagers listen to what I say and are fast learners! Am I forgetting to tell him anything, Joon?” she asks, turning back to Joon, who is standing next to the door to the Headmaster’s office.

“I can’t think of anything!” Joon replies, smiling encouragingly at her, “But just a reminder, because the next time you speak to someone, you probably won’t have them in this zombie-like state: you’re meant to speak Korean here and English in the Other Realm. Just reminding you. Also, even though I know how much you love a good rant - uh, i mean, a good opportunity to express your feelings" he corrects himself, as she narrows her eyes at him, "the room has been shaking quite violently for a while now so if you could please try and calm down?” He asks, smiling cutely at her as she rolls her eyes at him and turns back to the Headmaster.

He can sense her change in mood though, from super-irritated to calm and relatively happy. He smiles, satisfied with himself.

“It’s been a pleasure meeting you, Headmaster Lee. Thank you for accepting us into your beautiful school, as you soon will. And I trust that you will assign suitable accommodation to your newest students.” Hara finishes, smiling at the Headmaster as she picks up his limp hand and shakes it gently, looking him in his glazed over eyes. “We shall see you tomorrow then!” she says, gesturing for Joon to open the door.

They walk past the frozen receptionist, her eyes just as glazed over as the Headmaster’s, as they leave the huge building and hop into the limousine that’s waiting for them.

“To the bar, please! You know which one!” Hara says to the driver as Joon slides into the seat next to her. “They had better not be late.” She mutters grumpily, folding her arms.

As she gazes out of the car window, Joon gazes at her and he can’t stop the smile that plays at his lips as he watches her.

Catching his reflection in the window, Hara whips around quickly and glares at him.

“What’s so funny?” she asks.

“You forgot to block your mind again when you blocked your powers! But don’t worry, I won’t let any of the boys at our new school try anything with you.” He says, cracking his knuckles for emphasis, while laughing at her.

Hara turns to look out the window again, scowling.

“Oh, come on!" Joon exclaims, as he feels an imaginary wall suddenly blocking his window into her mind. 
"I didn’t want you to block your mind again! I like being able to know what you’re thinking.” He says, nudging her arm playfully.

“You spend literally every single day with me! You ought to know what I’m thinking.” She replies, sending a gentle pulse of energy his way while continuing to look out of the window.

The energy pushes Joon from his spot next to Hara to the other side of the car, where he bumps gently into the car door. He automatically slides back closer to Hara. They sit in silence for a few minutes before Joon breaks it.

“I’m glad you didn’t lose control of your powers today, Hara.” He says softly, looking down at his scarred hands.

When she doesn’t respond, he looks up at her and notices that she has already fallen to sleep in the ray of sunshine that is beaming onto her.

“What a baby.” He mutters, chuckling silently and shaking his head.