Remind me again why I wanted to stay away from him..

My quirky tale with the Bad Boy

 

 

 

 “and don’t forget the fact that you haven’t even told us what happened last Saturday.” Hee-rin now butted in. “and then when we got to school, Jinyoung has stopped seeing you. He’s not been in campus for the whole week to chase over you!”

 

 It was true I haven’t told a single soul about it, but believe me there are times that I had almost slipped and told them about it. But every single time, I just don’t know if I’m ready to tell anyone about it at all. You can’t blame me, it was an awful experience for a teenage girl like me, heck it’s like hell and to add up the fact that I haven’t seen Jinyoung for a week.

It was torture not to see him to be honest. Instead of finding peace in his absence, turns out I just started to miss him. Badly. Okay, I miss his one-liners, his never ending talks about how hot he is, his ego-centric comments about his looks and how the female population craves for his attention. Also, people had started to pick on us again. And the fact that not having him around made me feel less safe.

 I was ambushed in the hallway by one of Min-ah’s minion. Even though I had my hood up they still managed to recognize me, someone bumped me really hard that all the contents of my bags spill over the floor. Jinyoung hasn’t been around the campus to tower over those who would try to bully me.

 

Jinyoung.

 

I sigh again as I think about him and how things had went the last time I’d seen him. That morning, I woke up alone I almost thought that everything was just a dream until I smelled a very familiar scent of cologne that had stuck on my pillow, which is a proof that someone had used it. He didn’t even bother wake me up, no messages from him the whole day. Nope, I’m not affected by his absence. I had switched off my phone and laptop spending the rest of my day watching the replay of ‘V for Vendetta’.

 

“speaking of Jinyoung, I actually saw him this morning.” Yu-ri said in a cool tone. “I asked him why he’s not been around for the last week, and he said you needed some space away from him. Seriously, what had happened?”

“I haven’t seen him in a week, and then he’ll tell you that it was me who wanted space away from him. I did say that! But, it doesn’t mean that he’d go the extra mile and not even attend school just to give me space!” I almost shouted the words if I hadn’t noticed that the students in the cafeteria had turned their attention to us.

“Don’t go bat- crazy over us lady, it was you who asked him to leave you alone.” Yu-ri almost half shouted “Now that he’s finally left you alone, you’ve been sulking the whole week until today.”

I duck my face to avoid eye contact “We had a fight.” I murmur and doodle on my notebook.

 

 I think back at the car and how angry Jinyoung looked, and how he had went back to the party and got drunk and came back again to my house just so he could be with me while my parents are away. Since when did he care so much? Usually it’s him who’s making me cry, and for him to get so mad at the idea of me getting hurt is pretty absurd.

 

“Like that’s a surprise.” Snorts Hee-rin “but he took care of you, didn’t he?”

“I don’t know anymore..” I said while continuing my doodle and not wanting to discuss any more about Jinyoung.

“So, where is Jinyoung anyway?” Yu-ri asked me like I was the only who knows Jinyoung’s whereabouts.

“I don’t really know, usually he picks me up at around 7:30 but he was late last Monday, and the next day, and the next.. until today. I haven’t seen him.” And I hate the sound of my voice, I sounded like a baby who’s on the verge of crying

“Don’t worry he’ll probably show up, he can’t stay away from you that long.” Hee-rin winks and takes out her things signaling that her break time is almost over and has to go back to class.

 

Maybe.. but it’s been a week.

 

I still can’t find Jinyoung. I should be jumping in joy and squealing like a kid on a Christmas morning, but all I feel is a stupid sense of despair. Yu-ri had seen him this morning. Where could he have gone? I have checked all the corners of our school, still there was no sign of him. Ever since he came back in Busan he’s been by my side even when I’ve threatened to make a voodoo doll of him and prick it with sharp pointy needles every night. If threatening him with dark magic couldn’t keep him at bay, then why is it that one little spat made him vanish from the face of the world?

He’s not been present in any of our classes for a week, and it just adds up to my depression. I’m on my way to the other side of our school to attend my mathematics class; the hallways are now free of noisy students chatting how boring their classes were.

Okay, so if he’s not going to show up in campus and talk to me.. I don’t care, Jinyoung can call me immature or whatever but I’m not going to be the first one to talk to him and be…

Before I can react my wrist is grabbed and I am sideways straight into a sturdy chest.

 

Oh my God.

 

Oh my God.

 

Please no! Not again!

 

An arm wraps itself around my waist, and my back is pressed against this person’s chest and his hand clamps down on my mouth to keep me from screaming. I’m tempted to bite his fingers off but this person is too quick for me. Before I know it, I’m half carried half dragged to the nearest Janitor’s closet. The stranger pushed me into the darkened side of the room. A single light bulb flickers dimly as he presses me up against the wall. Déjà vu is the word I’d like to use here since this feels literally like it just happened yesterday.

This time I’m ready. This time I’m not going to let him. I straggle and I writhe In his grasp but he’s left me immobile, my hands are captured by his and he’s pressed me so tightly against his body that I’m beginning to lose feeling in my legs.

 

“I thought we’d finish what we’d started at the party” he whispers against my hair and I freeze.              

 

It’s him.

 

It’s Jaehyun!

 

He might sound a little different and his body might feel a little different too but it’s him! My breath got stuck in my throat and I inhale sharply through my nose. Goose bumps rise all over my skin, my heart’s hammering inside my chest so wildly that I could go into cardiac arrest in any second.

 

“You don’t want to do this, I’ve told everyone about what you did and if something happens to me they’ll know.” I tried so hard to threaten him, but my voice was stuttering and I sounded like a chipmunk. I sound like I’m in the middle of having a seizure, it’s no surprise that he laughs at me and presses even closer, I squeeze my eyes shut as he tugs a strand of my hair.

 

“and what have you told them? Did I hurt the little girly?” he coos and tugs my hair even harder.

“you’re not getting away with this! Let me go and I won’t tell anyone, I promise!” I plead but he sneakers.

“remind me, what is that you don’t want to tell other people. Talk to me, tell me everything I did to you.” His voice sounds like he’s trying to make it sound husky.

“Don’t” I said in a clipped tone.

“it’s just talking, there are a lot of worse things I could do.” He breathes and even the sound of him exhaling and inhaling made me want to puke.

“I’ll tell you everything, just let me go please” I lean against the wall that’s he’s got me pressed up against.

 

When he realizes that I’m going to comply he give me a little breathing space and that’s all I need. I knee him hard in the crotch which causes him to grunt out in pain, gripping his area. I pushed past him as fast as I can and ran to the door, my hands pull on the latch again and again but then it’s locked. So much for my escape plan.

 

He cursed and cursed in pain “What the hell did he do to you!?”

 

My hands drop to the side and my eyes widen as I whirl around. The stupid light bulb hanging overhead give nothing away, and I can’t figure out who’s been here with me all the time. Though there’s one thing that I do know, it’s not Jaehyun.

 

“Who are you?” I press my back into the door. I just got pulled into a closet by someone who knows what happened at the party.

 

Holy Sh*t.

 

“you have three guesses Cheesecake.”

Then all of a sudden a bright almost blinding light appears out of nowhere and the first thing that comes to mind is..

“Jinyoung!?” I gasp as I try my best to open my eyes and stare the person who’s standing in front of me.

“Yes, Soo-ji, but you humans can call me Jinyoung the immaculate” then the light dims and I see a flashlight in his hands. “So my dear lazy, sweet, naïve, over thinking, obsessive, stubborn, pain in the back side, do you have something to confess to Jinyoung the Immaculate?”

 

His tone might sound like he’s joking but I know this boy well that it scares me. He’s serious, he means business and his eyes are burning with so much anger it scares me. And Jaehyun won’t be among the living people on earth, I’m sure of that.

 

 

“Jung Jinyoung, what the hell are you doing in prison?”

 

I chuckle and I get up from the floor, giving her full room to yell at him as much as she wants; I’m dying for some popcorn right about now.

“Uhm, discussing with Soo-ji how good looking I am?”

I rolled my eyes at him. He’s lucky Jaehyun didn’t fight back, because if he did, Jinyoung would have had a bruised face...

“Soo-ji dear, are you okay?” She gives me a warm smile when she catches my eyes and I just simply gave her a thumbs up. Something tells me I shouldn’t be talking right now.

“Don’t give me that nonsense! Do you know how worrying it is to come out of surgery to find out that your son’s been arrested for assault?” She yells

Jinyoung looks at her sheepishly, “Sorry mom.” I saw Sam’s anger melt the moment he calls her that and you can see that she’s practically already forgiven him.

 

That’s the thing I loved about Sehun’s mom, ever since she married Jinyoungs dad when both boys were six she’s treated Jinyoung like her own flesh and. And I know Jinyoung loves her just as much even though he tries not to show it. Sam is a wonderful woman, definitely where Sehun got his good looks from. However though, it’s still a mystery for me where Jinyoung’s biological mom is. I never heard him talk about her, although that’s reasonable as we were never buddy buddy since we were kids.

 

“NO. not the mom thing! It isn’t going to work unless you tell me why you’re here.”

He groans and scratches the back of his neck. “Just bail me out first, and I’ll tell you later.”

 

Sam shakes her head lightly. That means a no. and he can’t go out of prison unless he tells her what happened, I wanted to laugh. But I feel really guilty that he’s actually behind bars because he wanted to avenge for me.

 

“Well.. I’m waiting; would you tell me why you hit that kid?”

 

What kid? Jaehyun is not a kid. He’s a freaking manwhore!

 

“Hit would be putting it mildly mrs. Jung, he beat him up so bad that the hospital hasn’t released him from the emergency.”

 

I look up to see who was talking and find that it’s the prison guard who had been watching tv while eating his doughnuts since we came here. He hands over a paper to Sam and she scans them thoroughly before signing them. While she’s busy, Jinyoung gives me a victorious smile and I smile back feeling warm all over.

 

“Will this be all? Can I take my murderer of a son at home?” Sam half  joked. And I think it was true, Jinyoung could’ve killed Jaehyun with his punches if he wanted to.

“you sure can, but try to put a leash on him or next time I’m calling the chief”

I don’t miss the hint of panic on Jinyoung’s face at the mention of his father, Sam panicked a little as well but calmed down immediately “I’m sure my husband doesn’t need to be bothered, these are just childish antics, he doesn’t need distractions so we’ll keep this between us right?”

“it was a pleasure to here officer, maybe I’ll come visit soon.” Jinyoung joked as he was released from the prison, this earns him a slap at the back of the head by his step-mom who grabs him by the ear and drags him outside.

 

I followed them since I don’t have a ride before waving thanks to the officer. I feel guilty, but things just went out of control and everything from there went crazy..

 

This afternoon when Jinyoung fooled me into believing that he was Jaehyun and I actually fell for his joke it led to one wrong thing to another. Turns out he skipped school for a week no only to comply with my wishes of giving me space but to investigate why I almost suffered from nervous breakdown at the party. Some witnesses told him that Jaehyun came out of the bathroom with me following after only a couple of minutes but the difference is that I was panicking.

 

“Now Ms. Park Soo-ji. Don’t you try to lie to me again. I already know everything.” He said my full name, definitely he’s mad.

 

While he was telling me all the result of his investigation his voice had shaken with so much anger. He then had some of his friends from archery team hack on Jaehyun’s phone and facebook. They’d heard him bragging about nearly having a hot steamy not with a hot girl at the party. So that’s when the puzzle was completed.

Jinyoung stitched all the information together but before he went any further, he tested his theory on me like an evil mastermind that he is. And there I was spilled all the things that I had been trying not to tell him.

 

“was kidnapping me really necessary?” I yelled at him, because he almost just gave me a heart attack after making me believe that he was Jaehyun. “I can’t believe you’re this crazy.”

“Talk and complain all you want Soo. But he’s going to pay for what he did to you.” His eyes were burning and I can imagine fire coming out of his nostrils.

“I’m okay. Alright? Nothing happened. I’m still me. He’s didn’t get what he wants.” I was hoping that this could make him a little less angry. However, I think I just made it worse.

“you’re lucky he didn’t do anything to you. He could’ve..” Jinyoung was not able to continue what he was about to say and just ran his fingers on his hair in a frustrated manner. “toady’s the day he wished he was never born.”

 

And I know he’s not kidding.

 

The moment school had ended, Jinyoung went straight to the school where Jaehyun is. And a bloody messy fight started at the parking lot. A one sided fight actually. Because Jaehyun was a weakling compared to Jinyoung.

 

No kidding.

 

“Jinyoung stop!” I yelped, shouted, almost at the verge of crying because I can’t do anything and the whole student buddy at Jaehyun’s school was watching the fight. “oh my god. Please someone stop them.”

“Fight. Fight. Fight.” The crowd cheered and almost everyone have their phones on video, recording the whole scene “Fight back Jaehyun!” one guy shouted.

 

Jaehyun may be tall and a little bit towering over Jinyoung. One punch and he came writhing in pain like a kitten. I remember the almost possessed look on Jinyoung’s face as he threw punch after punch until Jaehyun’s face was a bloody mess. He’s kicked and stomped on his stomach and ribs. And Jinyoung just wouldn’t stop even at my incessant yelling.

 

And the he-devil just kept on punching Jaehyun to the pulp.

 

I wanted to run to Jinyoung and pull him away from Jaehyun before he kills the poor guy, but something inside me wanted Jinyoung keep on beating Jaehyun. I don’t know, I know this is too much but this is what Jinyoung thinks Jaehyun deserves. And it’s his way of avenging for what Jaehyun did to me. Plus the fact that I’m actually beginning to be scared of Jinyoung, he’s like a mad dog out of leash.

 

“prrrrt! Prrrrt!”

 

Finally someone with authority came and stopped the fight. Students started to scatter away in different directions and I was left standing there. While Jinyoung and his homies or other jocks stare down at Jaehyun who was crying for his life on the ground.

Yes, he’s crying. Poor guy.

However, the principal had called the cops to arrest Jinyoung for beating one of their students. I’m actually thankful, a little, but Jinyoung doesn’t deserve to have his records be tainted just for helping me.

 

The slamming shut of doors has snapped me back to reality. Jinyoung has taken the front seat nest to Mrs. Jung. Jinyoung was trying to explain to her why he had to beat Jaehyun to pulp. I wish I could tell her the truth but he doesn’t let me. He wouldn’t embarrass me and drag me into this.

 

“Fine. If you want to keep this a big secret then you’ll have to suffer the consequences. You’re grounded for a month. No TV, no xbox, no internet..”

Ouch, I’m starting to really really feel about this, I need to help him. “Mrs. Jung..” I start and Jinyoung whirls his head around to give me a wide eye stare. I ignore his warning looks and continue after taking a deep breath “Please don’t be so harsh on him, he was just trying to help me.”

She looks at my image in the rearview mirror. “What do you mean sweetie?”

“Jaehyun, you know, the guy he beat up. He was bullying me at it was getting a little out of hand.” Jinyoung scoffs at the word little but I carry on, “he only hit him because he was picking on me; he might have gotten carried away though.”

 

I’m lying. Again. This is becoming a habit.

 

Sam gasps and she looked terrified. “bullying? Why didn’t you tell me this? Have you told the principal? How long has it been going?”

 

The bullying? Let me think, about three years since everyone followed suit at Jinyoung’s on me?

 

“It’s very recent in fact, it was the first time.” I said, and I know Jinyoung rolled his eyes on this.

“You should’ve told me about this..” Sam said and she started talking to us about how bullying shouldn’t be tolerated in any school. I was just hoping to help Jinyoung, but I only made if worse. But she then lets go of the issue and lessens Jinyoung’s punishment..“but you’re still grounded. Two weeks.”

“I’ll take it.” Jinyoung grins at her looking pretty smug. Which in other words, I’ll sneak out of my room when you’re sleeping mommy.

 

Sam drops us at their house since she has to run back to the hospital. I glance at my wristwatch and almost scream when I see that it’s nearly ten. I had to be at home at three! My parents are going to kill me. I’m panicking slightly, digging through my bag, I took my phone up and searched the screen only to find that there are no calls or texts from my parents..

Am I supposed to be happy about this?

I was about to leave but then I remembered I had to thank him for what he did for me. It’s still weird though, having him go out of his way to protect me. Usually he’s the one I need protection from.

Seriously.

 

“uhm..thank you Jinyoung. For what you did today. You shouldn’t have gone to all that trouble, I-I was going to do something about it, I was, but then.. you know..”

 

He didn’t budge or even say a word. So much for trying to be nice and being thankful for his help. He just started to walk down the road going to the direction of my house. I stared on my feet while we were on our way. He’s not saying a word. He’s quiet and in times like these, I can actually attack him and avenge the old fatty that was me for whatever he had done before. However, I had to be nice to him because he helped me.

When we reached our porch, I hesitated to talk to him, it’s just awkward, and I feel awful that he’s got bruises and a little battered. He’s just standing there with his hands in his pockets. I head towards our door, and before turning the knob I turned around and looked at him. which I shouldn’t have done because he was also staring at me, however, because I can’t take the intensity that he had in his eyes I was the first one to look away.

 

“weren’t you leaving?” He doesn’t say a word. Is he ignoring me? “Jinyoung..” I am now looking at him and he was just standing there looking so smug and cute. I should be afraid now for he is wearing the same mad-man look he had when he was beating Jaehyun.

“If you don’t talk to me or answer me. I’m going away right now and you can forget about talking to me in school.” Which is a weak threat knowing that I’m a dead meat in school if he stops talking to me especially after today.

He lets out a sigh and rolled his eyes before staring blankly at me. “So, now you feel like talking, Soo-ji?”

 

Oh oh.

 

He called me Soo-ji.

 

“Whay are you so mad? What did I do?” I ask feeling angry all of a sudden. It has been a long, tiring, gruel some day and the last thing I need is a PMS-ing Jinyoung.

“It’s what you didn’t do, d*mn it! Were you ever planning on telling me about the party? Were you going to lie for your whole life when I asked?

 

My heart’s racing under the scrutiny of his brown eyes, there’s fire in them making them look like the embers of a flame, I want to look away, but it looks like I’m trapped, like I’m hypnotized.

“I  was going to but, umm you.. weren’t showing up for one whole week” I’m twisting my hands feeling highly uncomfortable, wantng to get away from this situation but Jinyoung is showing no mercy. He’s downright glaring at me. His eyes so piercing that I just want to be swallowed by earth right from where I’m standing.

He laughs bitterly. “you forget who you’re lying to Soo-ji, I know you were never going to tell me. I know you were going to let Min-ah and that bastard walk all over you.”

 

Wait what?

 

“Min-ah. Has nothing to do with this.” I stutter finally looking away, concentrating on the little flower that’s growing from one of my mom’s garden. I’m surprised when Jinyoung came closer and he’s just one feet away from me. He tilts my face with hand and I’m looking at him once again.

“Jaehyun, told me everything. It was amazing how he was willing to reveal everything once I was done breaking his nose.” He smirks, but it’s not one of those childish endearing once’s. it hints something darker, something dangerous.

“Please don’t kill min-ah..” I blurt out the first thing I can think of and watch his face scrunch in confusion. “I know she’s terrible and mean, and sometimes you just want to run her over with a tank. But you’ll get in so much trouble. Your father’s the chief of police, and my dad’s a businessman. They can pull strings just to save you from prison..” I started rambling random crazy thoughts..

 

but I stopped when Jinyoung covered my mouth with his hands. He looks at me strangely for a second and started laughing so hard that tears started to spring to his eyes. My cheeks are starting to look like tomatoes and I’m on the verge of running to my room and cover myself with my blanket.

 

I was about to spat him with words when he stopped laughing and I was cut in a surprising bone crushing hug as Jinyoung wraps his arms around me and pulls me towards him. for a minute I was shocked and I forgot how to react.

 

He’s hugging me.

Jinyoung’s hugging me.

 

He smells so good and it’s not even funny, and I can feel the furious beating of his heart.

 

Is that for me?

 

I should do something. But what should I do?

I breathe slowly and very gently I carefully guided my hands over his back until they rest on his shoulder blades. I try not to overthink for once. We stand there holding onto each other, our faces are centimeters apart and I can feel his minty fresh breath fan my face.

“no offence but, your hairs looks mount Vesuvius erupted inside it.”

 

So much for having a tender and touching moment with him, he’s still a douchebag.

 

“I know my hair isn’t as beautiful as other girls’ but you shouldn’t be so mean about it.” I’m pouting.

“I know, I know. I’m sorry.. remind me to slap you next time you talk like a mad man though.”

“Oh how nice of you, you could’ve done that, instead you hugged me..” I say dryly and started to turn the knob to our house.

“hey, cheesecake.” He sound teasing again, and I know he’s back to being the cold hearted, jerk that he is.

“Go home, Jung!” half smiling.

“I’ll see you again tomorrow, right?” and now he’s sounding like a boy asking a girl out, and my heart flatters at the thought. I must have stalked the wrong brother then.

“Whatever makes you sleep at night, Jinyoung.”

“You know I take your words literally right?”

“oh god.” A groaned escaped my mouth and I turned to him, I was about to throw my sneakers at him but he started to run.

“Bye Soo!” he winks and blew me a kiss.

 

It’s funny how I don’t feel any hate towards him, instead I was smiling like a little girl receiving gifts on her birthday. Smiling I turned the door knob and was surprised to see my parents had moved the sofa from in front of the TV to near the front door.. My father and mother were seating on it.

 

“Welcome home, Soo-ji” my father said in what was supposed to be a monotone.

They looked like villains waiting for the protagonist to find out their secret hideout.  “we are glad to receive your presence.” My mom said in a deeper voice. It’s funny because she sounded like a drunk ady. Or is she?

“Congratulations!” my mother suddenly produced a bottle of wine from behind her back. “our little girl has finally grown up!”

 

Oh my god. Were they here the whole time? How much did they hear? Have they finally found out what happened at the party? I’m so dead.

 

“My baby’s got a boyfriend!”

 

My jaw drops.

I have a boyfriend?

 

“I’m absolutely sure that Jinyoung is the right guy for you my dear.” Dad says. And I’m baffled.

 

So they thought Jinyoung’s my boyfriend. That’s funny.

 

“Wait-wait-“ I closed the door because I didn’t want my neighbors to get the chance to hear our weird family conversation. “What are you guys talking about?”

“the growth of our dearest child of course.” My mom’s voice reached a shrill, and this happens when she’s extremely happy.

“I thought you’d grow up to be some kind of a cat lady” dad smiled at me apologetically. “it’s just.. you’re never going out, Soo. You don’t rebel, you don’t bug us to give you permission to get tattooed or pierced and to get a boyfriend. I’d say, I like that you’re starting to go out with Jinyoung.”

And I’m pretty sure my mom’s has a big part of this. “here’s the thing my dear daughter, we only want  you to experience the normal teenage life of harmless fun and we know Jinyoung can give you that. He’s perfect. He’s a really nice boy. You made a great choice.”

 

I just blinked at them. I am speechless to be honest.

 

“I’m sorry to break it to you guys, but we’re not together, like together.” I started walking to the stairs and I felt a little guilty when the smiles on my parents’ face washed off. “Look, I’m happy holed up in my room.” I said just so they won’t feel that bad.

“No, no. we could do something else like send them to a vacation or something.”

 

My parents started to whisper to each other and I can totally hear them, they can be funny sometimes and I know how much they adore Jinyoung. Everyone loves the guy, and I’m a total opposite of him.

 

“Soo, you have to stop being happy alone talking to TV!” My mom grappled at both of my shoulders. “I want you to be a bad girl, go out. You’re pretty, you’re now skinny, if you don’t like Jinyoung.. we’re okay if you go out with other guys…” and my mom started to enumerate all the good things that she sees in Jinyoung. You can totally see who she’s voting for.

 

Our conversation ended when my dad realized that I was not biting into any of this anymore. and I can’t believe they are actually the one’s who’s been feeding Jinyoung of information about my everyday life. Jinyoung was away for a week but my mom said he was constantly being called and texted by Jinyoung to check up on me.

 

Oh cruel, cruel world.

 

I can definitely find that cute and touching, however, it’s scary enough that my parents are on his side.

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

Thank you so much for reading! I'm actually thinking of a better way to make the great reveal sweeter. So on the next chapter, we'll finally find out what they really feel for each other!