The Bet

My Fish[y] Oppas

CHAPTER TWO ; 

[ Kim Sul Hee's point of view ]

___________________

“Sul Hee.” Sae Won said warningly while staring at the fish. “Something is bit fishy about all this.”

 

I rolled my eyes and continued to adore the fish. “Stop using an excuse to use a pun.”

 

“Fine, I’ll stop. But honestly, do you trust this?” I nodded at his words.

 

He shook his head and sighed.

 

I peered inside the box again and fished – please excuse the pun – a packet out.

 

“Brand New Stardom, one of the most exclusive shippers of a limited species of Betta fish.” He snatched it from me and began reading out loud.

___________________

“So they can’t be in the same bowl?” I asked after he read it.

 

“No, the packet says. They’ll fight due to territorial behavior.”

 

“And do I have to feed them a specific food?”

 

“Dried blood worms would be better, but I guess fish flakes and pellets could be okay.”

 

“Anything else, oppa?”

 

“It also says after a week of special care and love, something extraordinary will happen to your fish.” He scoffed and handed me the packet. “Have fun caring for them for your ‘surprise’.”

 

“Don’t be so negative, oppa. I bet something exciting will happen, and when it does, I’ll actually be right for once!” I stuck my tongue out at him and continued to look at the containers of fish.

 

“Do you want to make a bet, Sul Hee?” Sae Won walked up to me and grinned. “If something actually happens to your fishes, then I’ll buy you your own apartment so you don’t have to live with me. How about it?”

 

“Deal!” I smiled and shook his hand. “Don’t regret your words, okay oppa?”

 

“Okay then.” He gave a satisfied smile then disappeared in the hallway. “I have a date at 6 o’ clock, and I have to get ready. You can handle on your own, right?”

 

“Well-” I started, but he interrupted me.

 

“Great! Have fun with your fishes. Don’t forget to name them!” He called while slamming the door to the bathroom.

 

I grinned a bit at my oppa’s foolishness while inspecting the containers of the fish. I discovered they already had names, written in black marker on the bottom of the plastic container they were in. And the gender of all of the Bettas was male, isn’t that peculiar?

 

After studying all of the fish, I found the best looking one for me was a fish named ‘Zico’. I held up Zico’s container and looked curiously at his shining silver scales for a while.

 

What the… Woah! I thought I just saw Zico staring straight back at me. I guess he isn’t. After all he is a fish. Right?

 

Shaking it out of my head, I put everything back into the box and carried it to my room.

___________________

[ The Next Day – 5:00 a.m ]

BEEP! My alarm buzzed me awake while I sat up and groggily pressed my hand on the large button on top.

 

I snuck a peek at my dresser, and the 7 aligned containers I had placed the night before were still there. So I wasn't dreaming about the mysterious package, after all.

 

I yawned and trudged over to the bathroom connected to my room, and sadly Sae Won’s as well.

 

I didn’t notice the 14 pairs of eyes watching me as I went inside the bathroom to get ready for school.