Bitten by Green

Where I Belong
This was insane. How had he never realized that before? The idea of spending hours in the practice room, sometimes until the wee hours of the morning, only getting two or three hours of sleep, then running full speed through a packed schedule all day…. It was insane. Really, it was. Sure, there were a few spare hours of sleep snuck into that schedule here and there. A nap in the car between schedules, a quick doze in the waiting room before a performance or guest appearance… Still, it made staying healthy very difficult. Sleep was a necessity for good health, and Hyunseung felt like he never had enough of it. Granted, the strict diet most idols stayed on helped to combat any viruses, along with herbal tea and the like. It didn’t make things any less crazy.
 
He’d signed on for this, though. Hyunseung had known what being an artist meant before he’d joined the trainee program. It wasn’t exactly a secret, and most companies warned of it ahead of time. He’d known what would happen. What he hadn’t realized was how truly tiring it could be.
 
There were moments, though, when it all felt worth it. Standing on a stage with his band members beside him and thousands of fans screaming in support. That was a moment he could be proud of. When they went in the waiting room and saw the food provided by fans who knew how hard it was for the boys to find time to eat, he was always thankful. He always felt terrible when they had a fan signing and girls would come and cry as he gave his signature and shook their hands. Guys were even worse. He’d never known it could be so guilt-inducing to have a male fan start sniffling just because they got to meet him or one of the other members. Doojoon always had a lot of male fans that came to meet him.
 
There were times when he was with his parents or the other members, too, when the hard work and physical strain seemed worth it. They very rarely had a calm day with very little for a schedule, but when it happened, they all relaxed. Hyunseung rarely went out as the others did, but occasionally he would visit some old friends and see how they were doing. He never failed to visit his parents, though. It made him feel all choked up to hear how proud of him they were, and guilty when his mother fussed over how thin he was, asking whether he’d been eating properly. Of course, her ‘asking’ sounded more like accusing, but she’d send him home with plenty of food to eat and a healthy dose of motherly love and support.
 
Then there were the mornings when he’d wake up and Junhyung wouldn’t be awake yet. Normally the rapper seemed intent upon waking before Hyunseung so he could sneak out of bed, obviously under the assumption that sleeping together would bother the smaller boy. There was the occasional day, though, when Hyunseung would wake up warm and securely wrapped in a pair of familiar arms. Of course those mornings always made it hard to hold still, because it usually came with Junhyung breathing down his neck. It was uncomfortable at first, mainly because that breath really tickled.
 
Still… there was something to be said for being allowed in Junhyung’s bed at all. He never did it knowingly, always falling asleep in his own bed. He always woke up in Junhyung’s. The rapper never uttered a single word of complaint. In fact, after that one brief discussion, they hadn’t talked about it again. Then again Hyunseung never noticed the little smirk his bedmate got anytime Hyunseung was asked about how he slept.
 
In the weeks and months that followed their debut album, the boys had been kept busy to a fault. They only had a short break from packed schedules after their promotions ended, during which they were still guests on shows from time to time. Within a couple of months, though, the boys were busy working on new music and choreography. It was time to gear up for another release.
 
It was during this time that the other members really started to annoy Hyunseung. Not to the point where he couldn’t stand them, no. They just… seemed to always be watching him. Yoseob got even weirder as time went on, giving him funny looks and constantly teasing Junhyung out of Hyunseung’s earshot. It was really starting to bother him, truthfully. Why was it so important that he not hear? Didn’t it bother Doojoon when Yoseob would pull Junhyung aside like that? It certainly bothered Hyunseung…
 
It was during one of these impromptu private discussions that the dancer finally had enough of it. “What is so damned important, Yoseob? We’re supposed to be practicing, not dragging each other to secluded corners for God only knows what!”
 
Both Yoseob and Junhyung stopped where they were, halfway across the waiting room, and turned their heads to look back at the boy behind them. Hyunseung had his hands on his hips, an obviously angry pose, and a vivid splash of color decorated his cheeks. The two glanced at one another before returning their confused stares to Hyunseung.
 
“I-”
 
“Seungie, you’re obviously tired. Why don’t you sit down and take a nap for a little bit while we wait?” Doojoon interrupted, putting a hand on his shoulder.
 
Hyunseung glowered at him. “I’m not tired. I’m pissed off. We’re supposed to use our time to practice. We have to go on stage in fifteen minutes and nobody is focusing!”
 
“I’m focusing!” Dongwoon insisted as a coordi noona straightened his shirt. “I promise I’m focusing!”
 
Kikwang frowned at his hyung and shook his head. “What’s gotten into you, hyung? You’re never like this. Especially not with Seobie.”
 
“Is nobody listening to me?” Hyunseung asked in disbelief, then jerked slightly as warm fingers closed around his own and tugged. “What? Dragging me off now?”
 
Junhyung did not look amused. “Come with me.”
 
“I told you, we need to-”
 
“Come. Now.” 
 
The petite boy wasn’t given a choice in the matter as Junhyung did very nearly drag him away from the others and out into the hall. He protested the entire way, even giving several undignified squeaks as he was pulled through the throngs of artists milling around, trying to bow quickly on his way by. 
 
“Yah! Yong Junhyung! Yah!
 
It got them quite a few interested looks along the way, but Junhyung didn’t seem the least bit interested in stopping. Hyunseung tried a couple of times to free his wrist, but his friend’s grip was surprisingly strong. As they finally reached an alcove with very few people, he sighed shakily and tugged again. “Damn it, Junhyung! Let go, will you? I could have walked just fine without the assistance!”
 
“You wouldn’t have listened and followed me.” Junhyung answered him, but Hyungseung was relieved to find that his arm was dropped.
 
He scowled, rubbing the skin on his wrist. “What do you want? We should really be-”
 
“Practicing, yeah. I know. What I don’t know is why you’re jealous of Yoseob.” 
 
Hyunseung choked on air, eyes widening in shock. “J-Jealous? Of… Of Yoseob?!” He sputtered. “You can’t be-”
 
“You just threw a fit because we were talking privately. A rather public fit, I might add. That’s a pretty big bite from the green bug, Seungie.”
 
“Don’t call me Seungie,” the dancer snapped, irritated by the calm present in Junhyung’s voice. There was no way he was jealous. It just wasn’t possible. He didn’t have a single jealous bone in his body. Just because he’d wanted to claw Seobie’s eyes out-… Oh.
 
“Figure it out, did you?” Junhyung asked, and Hyunseung immediately had to fight the urge to smack the smirk from the rapper’s features. 
 
Hyunseung felt something like a cornered rabbit as he watched Junhyung step closer to him. His heart skipped a beat or two before starting an almost panicked rhythm against his ribs. How could he be jealous of Yoseob?! Over Junhyung, of all people?!
 
Hello, it’s Junhyung, you dummy. Of course you’d be jealous. You’ve heard the rumors about his dating history with girls.
 
Yeah, but that was girls! And Yoseob was completely enamored of  Doojoon! Hell, he was practically a permanent growth!
 
Junhyung isn’t. In fact, he’s-
 
Hyunseung shook his head violently in an effort to clear away the annoying voice full of male amusement. This was nuts. 
 
“You don’t need to be.”
 
That got his attention. Hyunseung looked at Junhyung strangely, as if he’d sprouted another head. How had he known what Hyunseung was thinking? Maybe it was a coincidence…
 
“I’m not interested in Yoseob.”
 
Or maybe it wasn’t.
 
“Besides, I think if I were interested in him, you’d strangle me in my sleep at night.”
 
Hyunseung glowered at him, and Junhyung grinned. “There’s that look.”
 
What look?” 
 
“Pissed off kitten,” Junhyung answered smoothly, then laughed as Hyunseung’s expression soured even further.
 
How many times do I have to say it? I am not a ki-”