Forgiveness

Where I Belong
“So you’re really going to do that television show?” Dongwoon asked through a mouthful of rice. He stopped to swallow and took a sip of water. “You’ll be so busy. We’ll hardly see you, hyung.”
 
Kikwang just smiled and gave him a one-armed hug. “You’ll see me. We live together, remember? I’ll be here every night.”
 
The maknae shrugged and looked down at his bowl, poking at it with his chopsticks. “Yeah, I guess.. Not the same though.”
 
From his spot beside Doojoon, Yoseob laughed softly and cocked his head to the left a little. “Aw, the maknae is getting separation anxiety already. Poor Woonie!”
 
“Can you blame him? We’ve been around each other nearly twenty-four-seven for how long now, and suddenly one of us is going to be gone for hours at a time. If I were him, I’d probably be a little upset, too.” Doojoon drew a knee up as he ate, presenting the voice of reason as usual. “You forget, he is the youngest of us, Seobie. He and Kikwang are pretty close.”
 
“It’s only for a little while,” Hyunseung cut in to the conversation as he sank to the floor on Yoseob’s other side, looking at Dongwoon calmly. He’d just finished his own supper. So had Junhyung, but the rapper had disappeared into the bathroom for his shower since everyone else was busy.
 
Dongwoon shrugged again, staring rather forlornly down into his bowl. “He won’t be there for practice as much.”
 
“We know,” Hyunseung nodded.
 
“He always helps me practice with my voice so I can improve between lessons.” 
 
“We can help you,” Yoseob chimed in, smiling at him as he brought his soda up to his mouth. 
 
“Yeah! We already help with your dancing. We’ll just add singing onto it.” Hyunseung reached over to pat him on the shoulder, lips quirking into a small smile. “Don’t worry, Dongwoon. Once Kikwang finishes the filming period, you’ll see him all the time again.”
 
Yoseob nodded. “Yup. So much you’ll get sick of him in no time!”
 
“Yah!” 
 
The playful squabble that ensued between Kikwang and Yoseob amused everyone. Dongwoon, Doojoon and Hyunseung slid away from the two until they could each lean against a wall beside one another, watching their friends. Dongwoon couldn’t help laughing quietly every now and then, usually when Kikwang got a good remark off at Yoseob and the latter would get a truly comical expression. Doojoon was perfectly content to pick at the rest of his meal, taking his time while he watched the proceedings with a chuckle here and there. He wasn’t even surprised to see a little half-smile on Hyunseung when he glanced over at him. 
 
What surprised him was Junhyung. The rapper came around the corner in a tank and lounge pants, a towel slung around his neck to catch any remaining damp that may trickle from the hair on the top of his head. Now, his appearance wasn’t what surprised Doojoon. No, it was pretty commonplace for any of them to walk around like that, and it wasn’t inappropriate either. What surprised him was Junhyung’s actions.
 
Junhyung watched the friendly squabble in the middle of the living room for a minute, hands tucked into the pockets of his pants. His eyes eventually searched the rest of the room, and it seemed inevitable for them to find Hyunseung and lock on. The two stared at one another in silence until Doojoon was even starting to feel uncomfortable. 
 
“Come on,” Junhyung muttered, leaning down over Hyunseung so he could reach a hand out and grab the dancer by the wrist. Ignoring Doojoon’s surprised expression, he pulled Hyunseung to his feet, forcing the older boy to stumble after him into the bedroom.
 
“Y-Yah!” Dongwoon started after them and got to the bedroom door just as Junhyung slammed it in his face. His hyung’s behavior both startled and confused him. Junhyung was gruff, yes, but he’d never intentionally shut a door in Dongwoon’s face before. He’d never intentionally done anything rude to the younger boy, really. Yet he’d looked right in Dongwoon’s eyes as he’d deliberately slammed the door.
 
“Dongwoon, come back out and help me break the two of them up.” Doojoon said quietly, lips tilting in a brief smile when the younger turned around to look at him. When he saw the hurt in his eyes, he inwardly berated Junhyung, but he couldn’t be completely angry with him. The rapper seemed pretty determined to get Hyunseung in the bedroom, and after what they’d all talked about earlier it seemed as though Junhyung was going to fix the problem he’d caused - by force if necessary. Well… he could just apologize to Dongwoon later. Doojoon would make sure of it, if he had to.
 
For now, he led the bewildered boy into the living room, where they proceeded to start attempts at ending the squabble.
 
In the bedroom, Hyunseung cast a disapproving look on Junhyung. “You shouldn’t have done that to Dongwoon. His feelings are easily hurt you know.”
 
“As are yours,” the younger male retorted, one brow arched. He of all people knew just how easily his petite dancer could be offended. He was still paying for one moment of jealousy weeks ago.
 
Color bloomed along Hyunseung’s cheekbones, and he averted his gaze. “You said you want to talk.”
 
“I do.”
 
“Then do it.” 
 
Junhyung stared at him. When had Hyunseung transitioned from a skittish, stammering waif to this… this… He couldn’t even think of a way to describe it. Hyunseung was still quiet, but there was new sort of veiled confidence hidden beneath the surface… and it seemed to enjoy jumping up and biting Junhyung on a regular basis like an angry cat.
 
“What the hell is the matter with you?” He finally ground out. The question startled Hyunseung, and Junhyung had a moment of smug satisfaction when that snappy confidence wavered. 
 
It didn’t last long.
 
“What’s the matter with me?” Hyunseung repeated, brows drawing together. “Have you looked in the mirror lately?”
 
“We’re not talking about me, we’re talking about you,” Junhyung countered. He took a step closer, annoyed when the dancer took an immediate step backward. “You’re still punishing me for something I apologized for ages ago. I said I was sorry about what happened.”
 
“I am not-
 
“You are. And what’s more, the members are noticing. They think you’re mad at them. Your behavior toward me is affecting the entire group. It has to stop.”
 
Hyunseung glared at him. “And what gives you the right to tell me what to do?”
 
He had a point, Junhyung realized. He wasn’t the leader, manager, or any other superior company representative. He definitely wasn’t his brother or parent. Yet he felt he had as much right to tell Hyunseung to cut it out as any of them. Concern for the group and the dancer was his motivator, but the dancer weighed far more heavily on his mind. He did like him… far more than he should. He’d screwed things up pretty well through a few mistakes, usually verbal, and shouldn’t really be telling Hyunseung anything like this. 
 
And yet..
 
Straightening up a little taller, Junhyung met his glare with a level gaze. “The fact that I like you and we’re in a group together. Together, Hyunseung, not separately. We have to eat, dance, sing, sleep, and promote together. You don’t honestly think that your anger at me won’t poison the group as a whole sooner or later, do you? It’s already doing it!”
 
Hyunseung’s frown deepened. “You’ve already said you liked me once, and then told me to forget it.”
 
“Well I’m canceling that out now.”
 
“It won’t change anything.”
 
“I think it will.”
 
“How do you know that?”
 
“Well, the way you hug me in your sleep says a lot,” Junhyung said smoothly, smirking as the older boy’s face paled. Checkmate.
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“You hug me. At night. In your sleep.”
 
“I do not!”
 
“Every night,” Junhyung confirmed. He stepped closer, cocking his head to one side as he looked thoughtfully down at the other male. “Still think you can stay mad forever?”
 
Hyunseung looked doubtful, and Junhyung wanted to pump a fist in the air. He didn’t though, and the dancer grimaced. “And you let me do that?”
 
“Mhm.”
 
“Why?”
 
Junhyung turned his eyes to the ceiling, pretending to think when in reality he still didn’t have a comprehendible answer for that question other than his increasing affection for Hyunseung. That in itself was getting a little scary. He shrugged. “Beats me.”
 
“Liar..” Hyunseung muttered, but he let it drop. He looked down at the floor, still doubtful of the situation and not sure what to say or how to react at this point.
 
“So,” Junhyung ventured, lofting a brow curiously as he stepped closer still and invaded what was left of his personal space. “Can we stop this now? I won’t insult you again.”
 
Hyunseung hesitated, but even he had grown weary of the forced distancing. He wasn’t sure what to make of the rapper’s apparent affection, but Junhyung didn’t seem interested in pressing that particular issue yet. 
 
Sighing, he lifted his gaze to Junhyung’s and nodded slowly. “Okay.”
 
“Okay? I'm forgiven?”
 
“Yeah,” Hyunseung nodded again. “Can we go back out now? Yoseob’s going to come looking for us soon if we don’t, and he’ll still be fired up from arguing with Kikwang.”
 
Junhyung grinned. “Heaven help us.” 
 

----

To make up for yesterday's lack of an update, I made this chapter a little longer. 

Thanks for subscribing and commenting!