Chapter 7

Physical Education

Jiyong’s ‘Seunghyun thought ban’ was already forgotten by the next morning, and in the week that had passed since that night; Jiyong’s thoughts about the boy had been rapidly becoming dirtier and more frequent.

Jiyong was sure he wouldn’t be able to look Seunghyun in the eye by the next time he taught his class, so he was glad to learn when he turned up to school that morning that the school talent contest would be happening during that period, so he was safe for another week.

As soon as that weight was lifted off his mind; Jiyong’s steps already became lighter. But there was one small part of his brain that was persistently mourning the loss of the only contact he had with the younger man and couldn’t stand to wait another week before seeing Seunghyun again.

Jiyong’s next two classes pass like a happy blur; the kids are starting to get really good at soccer and Jiyong has even managed to memorise about half of their names, which is pretty good considering this is only the second time he’s seen them.

The teacher even finds himself whistling happily as he makes his way to the staffroom at lunchtime.

“Hey, Ji!” Zico jogged to catch up with the older teacher as soon as he spotted him.

“Zico! My man! What’s up, yo?” Jiyong flailed his arms about in vaguely hip-hop like gestures as he greeted his friend cheerfully.

“Not much, yo!” The younger man responded with a grin. “Glad to see you’re feeling better after you’ve been acting weird all week!” Jiyong cringed slightly at the knowledge that he had been that obvious. “Are you going to come to the talent contest?”

“I don’t know, Z, I was just gonna head home… I’ve got some stuff I need to do for tomorrow…” Jiho’s expression changed into a childish pout.

“Aw, come on… It’ll be fun! You should see some of these kids! They’re like super talented! Plus, you should have some fun while you’re in a good mood, ‘cause for all we know you’ll be back to being all mopey again by tomorrow!”

“Oi!” Jiyong reached out to punch the younger man’s arm, but he managed to dodge it. “Hey! You can’t avoid your punishment like that!” Jiyong swung again but the other man was too fast.

“Really? ‘Cause it kinda looks like I can…” Zico mocked him.

“That’s it; this time I’m going for the face!” Jiyong ran at him in mock-anger, but Zico quickly turned and fled, yelling ‘Not my beautiful face!’ as he did. The other teacher was quick to chase him; knowing the younger man had terrible stamina, so he could catch him in no time.

When Jiho eventually stopped running and stood with his hands on his knees, trying to regain his breath, Jiyong quickly tapped him on the forehead with his knuckles; smirking triumphantly.

“Idiot, you should’ve just stayed still!” Jiyong smirked until Zico looked mischievously up at him, making Jiyong a little scared.

“Yeah, but this way I got you to the talent show!” Jiyong looked around and noticed that he was right. “Come on, let’s go! We’re already late!” Zico (suspiciously having regained his energy far too quickly) grabbed Jiyong’s arm and pulled him into the performance hall.

Most of the seats were full of cheering students as a group were just leaving the stage. The two teachers decided it would be best for them to stand, since there were no two seats together.

As the MC announced the next contestant as a rapper, Jiyong perked up in interest.

“Oh, it’s Seunghyun, he’s the best!” Jiyong overheard one of the girls near them say and instantly started to panic.

‘No way… It can’t be him… It’s gotta be that other Seunghyun in year 11, right?! The universe is not that cruel…’ Jiyong’s pleas to God go unanswered as he sees that student hesitantly walk onto the stage, wearing a thick hoody and a cap over his uniform. He smiles nervously at the audience before quickly introducing himself in his deep voice (which, Jiyong notes, sounds even better through the PA system). The music quickly starts to play and the teacher finds himself unconsciously nodding along to the beat.

Then Seunghyun rapped…

What Jiyong had previously convinced himself was just lust for his student, quickly morphed into what could only be described as love. Yes, Jiyong had fallen. Hard. He couldn’t deny it any longer as that gorgeous voice softly rapped about an ex-girlfriend. When the sirens kicked in in the middle and Seunghyun started practically shouting the words, Jiyong felt his heart hurt a little with the urge to comfort the student and to protect him from having to feel heartbreak ever again.

Just as Seunghyun looks close to crying, the song ends and he switches back to his normal personality; bowing at the audience and leaving the stage as the entire student body gets out of their seats to clap and cheer. Jiyong lets out the breath he didn’t realise he had been holding as reality returns to his mind.

“What did I tell you? Pure talent!” Zico’s voice sounded distant as the gravity of the situation started to weigh down on Jiyong.

He was in love with his student

This would not end well…