Chapter 12

Physical Education

---- A/N: Kinda short chapter, but my semester's almost over, so I should (hopefully) be able to update more often :3 -----

 

Seunghyun came over earlier the next day so Jiyong decided he would make them lunch. The younger man stood in the kitchen and watched his every move intensely as the teacher attempted to find whatever he needed for their food. By the time the cooking was finished, Jiyong was starting to think that the blush that had formed on his face would become permanent.

“Wow, this is delicious Jiyong!” Seunghyun practically shouted after eating his first mouthful of the food. He must have been telling the truth since he didn’t say anything for the rest of the meal; not giving himself time to speak in-between forkfuls. After the meal, Seunghyun was quick to clear the table, insisting that he will do the dishes since Jiyong went to the trouble of making it for them. Jiyong stood in the door-way to the kitchen, a soft smile forming on his face as he watches his boyfriend clean the dishes. It’s unusual how quickly the older man has become so comfortable around the other; they had only been dating for less than a week, yet Jiyong already feels like he’s known him his whole life.

“Penny for your thoughts?” Seunghyun’s voice jerks Jiyong out of his own mind; he can’t help the cheesy grin that spreads onto his face as soon as their eyes meet.

“I was just thinking about how well you match my kitchen.” Seunghyun snorted slightly as Jiyong led them both to sit on the sofa. As they sat next to each other, Seunghyun’s smile faded and a sad look seeped onto his face. Jiyong’s eyebrows knitted in concern.

“Is it weird that I feel more at home here than in the house I’ve spent my whole life?” The teacher felt a tug on his heartstrings at the bitterness in the younger’s voice as he mentioned his home. He quickly pulled Seunghyun into a warm hug, silently embracing him for a second before pulling away and speaking again.

“You can come here any time you want; even if I’m not here…” Seunghyun’s expression changed to one of gratitude as a single tear that had been threatening to escape finally fell. The younger man was quick to wipe the tear away and put the previous smile back onto his face as he returned to his usual happy self. Jiyong was glad to see that the sadness that had previous hidden in his eyes had diminished considerably; he did however notice that it had been replaced by a certain anxiety, though he decided against mentioning it.

The pair chatted happily for the next couple of hours; not even noticing how long they’d been there until Seunghyun’s ringtone popped their bubble and forced them back into reality. Seunghyun was still smiling at Jiyong’s last comment as he glanced down at the screen of his phone, only to have the joy leave his face in the blink of an eye.

Jiyong felt nervous on his behalf as the younger answered the phone. Seunghyun winced as he was immediately met with a loud and angry voice on the other line. The older man chews on his bottom lip as he attempts to discern the situation, only being able to hear a muffled shouting.

“I-…” Seunghyun started, only to be cut off by the other voice. His free hand balled into a fist as he opened and closed his mouth; trying to find a gap to speak. “Bu-… Yes-… I’m-…” Seunghyun’s head got lower with every interruption. “Wha-…” The younger man let out a shaky breath as the other person hung up without him even getting to say a whole word. He slowly lowered the phone from his ear and sat in silence for a moment.

Jiyong saw tears forming in Seunghyun’s eyes and reached over to his back soothingly. The younger stiffened immediately, before relaxing and leaning into the contact. As his emotions reached their tipping point, Seunghyun buried his face in Jiyong’s shoulder and finally allowed his tears to flow. Jiyong continues to his back until Seunghyun regains the ability to speak.

“I-… My… Father… He says I have to go home now…” Jiyong winces at the amount of animosity Seunghyun had put into the word ‘father’.

“You can stay here, you know…” Jiyong’s tone was intended as soothing, but Seunghyun pushed himself off his teacher and stood quickly; glaring at the confused man.

No, of course I can’t! What do you even know?! This is my father! Do you think he’ll just let me stay here?! No! He would kill me! What the are you talking about?! You don’t even know anything about him!” Jiyong’s eyes were wide at the sudden outburst. Seunghyun’s angry look slowly changed into one of desperation as he turned to leave.

The younger man stopped before reaching the door. Jiyong hears him sigh heavily before his voice breaks the silence again.

“I’m sorry… I just… I have to go…” With that Seunghyun left the house, leaving a shocked Jiyong in his wake.

The teacher stared at the closed door for a long moment as Seunghyun’s words kept replaying in his head. The anger obviously wasn’t meant for him, but the desperation and rawness about his voice had been too real to ignore. Jiyong felt the anxiety seep back into his mind as he hoped nothing bad would happen to Seunghyun.