Chapter 3

Physical Education

Jiyong arrived late to his first class (with the help of three different students, who he had to stop and ask for directions along the way) and quickly rushed into the room where his new students were chatting noisily.

“Sorry I’m late, guys! I got a bit lost!” When the class stared blankly at him, Jiyong realised that none of them knew who he was. “I’m your new PE teacher, Mr Kwon!” A few students made shocked noises.

“Wow, how old are you… Sir?” One girl near the back shouted out.

“I’m twenty one, but I assure you I’m fully qualified!” Jiyong responded brightly, using his most charming smile to win them over.

“What happened to Mr Bang?” One curly blonde-haired kid at the front blurted, before quickly looking apologetic.

“Mr Bang..?” Jiyong asked, slightly lost “Oh! The last teacher! Sorry; I only met him ten minutes ago; so I didn’t get a chance to find out his last name! Well… Nothing happened to Mr Bang… He was only filling in temporarily…” The blonde kid pouted childishly, but seemed to accept that answer.

“Now; since somebody kept us all waiting, I have to hurry up and take the roll!” A few kids laughed politely at the bad joke whilst most of them were still getting over the fact this guy is actually their teacher.

After making sure everyone was there, Jiyong brought the kids out onto the field to play soccer. Team selections took a while, but other than that, everything went smoothly. Jiyong was glad to see that Mr Bang had been telling the truth about their soccer skills.

Since Jiyong was being the referee, he did have to stop the game a few times as some kids kept trying to cheat. Luckily though, nobody was sent off and he only had to give one yellow card.

As the class ended, Jiyong dismissed the exhausted kids, before heading back to his classroom for the next group.

The second class went pretty much the same way as the first, except without the part where Jiyong was late, so he had a little more time to call the roll and try to memorise the students’ names. How he was supposed to memorise all of them, Jiyong had no idea.

Lunch was after that class and Jiyong found himself on playground duty; walking around and supervising the kids as they enjoyed their brief break. He also happened to spot the boy from the staffroom and had to actually force himself to look away before he started zoning out again.

Jiyong headed early to his classroom and got there before any of the students, who began to slowly trail in about five minutes later. As he’s looking through the list of student’s names and trying to figure out how to pronounce some of the more difficult ones, he vaguely registers a student walking into the class before stopping for a moment, until their friends snapped them out of it and they went to sit down.