Beyond Grasp

Fragments of Memories
Title: Beyond Grasp
Characters: IU, L
Genre: oneshot, angst/sad
Inspired By: "Hello" by NU'EST, green_teax

 
As the students in Incheon High School called him, Kim Myungsoo was a flirt. Whether it was intentional or not, he made hearts flutter—and sink—as easily and quickly as a blink of an eye.
 
So, when this Casanova with godsent charms got himself into a relationship, the reactions were of complete shock and disbelief. Some cried of envy and some gave their blessings; but, really, what everyone else wanted to know was who his new lover was.
 
The lucky lady turned out to be a student named Lee Jieun. Truth be told, there wasn’t anything outstandingly noticeable or special about her. She had a cute baby face, but that was just about it. She had average grades, lived in an average family, and was average. Nonetheless, she was the one dating Kim Myungsoo. There wasn’t any choice but accepting it as a fact, and over time, it eventually happened.
 
Jieun, however, did not consider herself so lucky. Of course, she was in love with Myungsoo—but he didn’t seem to be in love with her. His old flirtatious self appeared every now and then, leaving her to suffer alone in uneasiness and insecurity. But at the end of the day, he came back. He wrapped her in his arms and apologized; she forgave him.
 
She forgave him again and again and again for two years.
 
Their relationship was on and off, not to mention risky and uncertain. “At least they’re still together,” someone would say. It was true, after all.
 
 
 
It wasn’t long before graduation date finally arrived. Excitement surged through the entire campus, especially among the seniors-for-not-too-much-longer. Most were now of legal age—and that meant alcohol. In the after-graduation party, sides of individuals never seen before were unleashed in public. Things quickly became a hot mess, and it became nearly impossible to stay in one’s right mind in the middle of the party.
 
And that was probably how Jieun lost track of Myungsoo, who was supposed to be her date that night. When she didn’t hear nor see anything from him for a whole two hours, worry consumed her, and she began looking everywhere for him.
 
It didn’t take too long for her to find him—and it took even less for her anxiety to turn into absolute fury.
 
Kim Myungsoo, drunken and near unconsciousness, was found on the staircase leading to the basement in a heated make-out session with Bae Suji, the famous “beauty queen” of the second  (now third) year.
 
Once she regained from jaw-dropping disbelief, Jieun bit down on her lower lip hard, clenching her fists and barely holding back the tears b in her eyes. Resisting the urge to slap him across the face, she murmured a quiet “you bastard” before storming out.
 
Still unable to comprehend the situation with his far from sober mind, Myungsoo dropped cold on the staircase into a deep, deep sleep.
 
 
 
The following ten days were spent by Myungsoo to follow Jieun around everywhere, begging for forgiveness and a second chance. She coldly rejected him every time. Finally, when the male knelt on the floor in the middle of a crowded street, asking her to give him one day to make things up and show his sincerity, she couldn’t say no. He was able to make her promise that she would meet him on Saturday at the bus stop for route 143 at exactly 1:43 P.M.
 
After all that was set up, Kim Myungsoo actually had to think of what he was going to do—he didn’t exactly have anything specific planned out. After a while of serious thinking, however, he came to the conclusion that he loved her. He truly did, and to really prove it, he was going to propose. What her answer was going to be didn’t matter to him; he was confident that he could wait until she was ready, his heart unwavering and firm.
 
So, he went and spent his life-savings on a beautiful silver ring. It wasn’t as high priced as he would have liked it to be, but it was the engraving on the inside of it—one that said “Forever yours, KMS”—that made It so valuable. Myungsoo just hoped that this would be enough for Jieun to understand his love for her.
 
 
 
On Saturday, the nervous yet hopeful male put on his best clothes, his best hair, and his best smile in preparation for his big event. He arrived at the bus stop fairly early at 1:20 P.M. and was impatiently tapping his foot while waiting for Jieun.
 
Then, a brilliant idea came to mind. He wanted to present her with a bundle of blue violets—her favorite kind of flowers. Hurriedly, Myungsoo hopped on his bike and sped to the nearest flower shop. Fortunately, it wasn’t closed, and it even had the exact flowers he was looking for. After paying for them, he then gently held on to it as he began to go back to their meeting place.
 
“1:40 P.M.,” he said to himself while coursing through the streets. “Almost there. I can make it—”
 
Suddenly, the somewhat muffled sounds of honking were succeeded by a collision of the bike with a large vehicle.
 
Kim Myungsoo’s body flew for a full three seconds in midair before he came crashing down, head first onto the ground. The bundle of violets that he held in his hands scattered away, and the ring box he had in his pants pockets had broken, allowing the small ring to roll out into the streets.
 
Blood profusely flowed from his skull onto the pavements; he lay in a pool of his own blood, twitching.  In the corner of his eyes, Myungsoo could see his phone—its screen cracked, but still functioning—light up as he received a call. With extreme difficulty, he dragged his arm to the small object and touched it, accepting the call.
 
“Kim Myungsoo!” The voice he was so desperate to hear from rang in the atmosphere, just loudly enough for him to hear. “Where are you? You said you’d be here by 1:43 P.M.!”
 
He struggled to open his mouth and to say something, but nothing did. All that escaped past his lips was a hoarse whisper.
 
“Hello? Hello?”
 
“…I thought you would have changed. I thought that maybe… Just maybe… You would be sure. I guess I was wrong.”
 
“I’m so tired of this. I’m tired of having to worry about you every night, afraid that you’d never come back. I’m so, so tired.”
 
“Hello? Myungsoo. Please, say something. Tell me no. Give me stupid excuses. Say something, anything. Please.”
 
Kim Myungsoo knew everything about Lee Jieun. He knew of all her habits, from biting her nails because of nervousness to the ruffling of her hair when she was upset or frustrated. He knew that she liked cream pasta but disliked the parsleys on it. He knew that she secretly liked it when he would take the parsleys from her plate onto his, and that she would get shy and embarrassed whenever he wiped for her.
 
He knew that she had begun to cry—the sound of her beautiful voice told him everything.
 
“You bastard. Am I not even worth the excuses? Can’t you at least tell me a lie for assurance? Is this really it?”
 
His eyes were trying to droop closed and his mind seemed to slowly drift from his grasp; Myungsoo tried his hardest to hold on for a little while longer, long enough for him to hear Jieun to the end.
 
“I love you, you heartless jerk,” she continued. “Why can’t you love me back? Is that too much for me to want?”
 
“Hello? Damn it, Kim Myungsoo, say something! Why are you so mute? Do you really have nothing to say to me?”
 
I have a hundred, a thousand, a million things to say to you, he thought, a bloody tear streaming down his face. I love you. I’m sorry. Forgive me. Don’t leave me. Please stay. I love you. Marry me.
 
“…fine. If this… If this is really how you feel, I respect that. I… I’ll let you go.”
 
No, please, don’t.
 
“I’m sorry I was such a burden for you.”
 
Don’t be sorry. You weren’t. Never. Ever.
 
“I think I’ll miss you. A lot.”
 
Jieun, please.
 
“…goodbye, Myungsoo.”
 
Lee Jieun.
 
As the beeps indicating the end of the call began to ring, Kim Myungsoo’s time had stopped.
 

Le poop de author
 
So yeah huhuhuhu I finished my homework early and I had extra time!!! but zOmG it's 2:40AM 2:55AM!!!!! kyaaaaa!!!!! 
Anyway. Um. This is the second time I've killed Myungsoo...LOL Out of all my MyungU stuff, none of them end happily (wait, do any of my stuff end happily? I need to be happier or something, omg). This is also a second time that flowers are a direct/indirect reason of a male character's death... Lesson to be learned: don't involve yourself in a combination of flowers and streets/cars. You'll die. LOL
About the inspiration... I don't like NU'EST in particular or anything but I was listening to anything random. "Hello" was something I had a favor to while they were still promoting it, and while listening to it VOILA it isn't directly relatable but yeah. I was thinking of making a NU'EST character as the lead, but I don't know any of them except Ren (who looks more like a girl than IU so no thank you...). BUT THEN GREENTEA SENT ME HER EDITS AND I THOUGHT GAAAAHHH I GUESS ALL I HAVE IS MYUNGU
One serious note. The message, theme, theauthoristryingtosoundreallycoolstuff, that I try to imply in this chapter is... Don't take things for granted. Things don't last forever. Cherish it (or him/her) while it (he/she) is still there. 
To wrap things up, I'll take requests. I won't take all of them. And I'm not taking them by the order it's requested... So I guess it's not really much of a request. Comment on the couple you want and the overall genre and if it gives me anything, I'll write it. But hahaha since I'm so evil I'm probably going to change your entire plotline!!!! nyahahaha <3