Four Dollars Eighty

[HIATUS] The Bubble Tea Café

Lee Yunji’s POV

 

His hair had changed from its original goldenly blonde floppy glory to a short black styled cut.

My mind was a mess, like a teenage boys bedroom. Those figurative little people inside my head who kept everything organised were freaking out- running around and screaming as if Armageddon was finally here. On the outside I may have seemed to be simply in shock, but on the inside I was splitting at the seams.

 

In my head there were only three possibilities. One, I was having a really awesome dream where in the next few moments Kris was going to bob down beside me and declare his undying love for me. Two, an average customer was waiting on the other side of the counter and I was just hallucinating from the absence of caffeine in my system. Or three, Kris was really here and I had just made the biggest fool out of myself in front of him. Though the first two were possible, I had a feeling the latter was my reality.

 

I had always dreamed of meeting Kris. But that was it, a dream. An unachievable dream, an unreachable dream- or that was what I had always believed it to be and to be quite honest, I was fine with that. Kris was an idol and I was his fan, his crazily obsessed fan.

 

I took a deep breathe in a feeble attempt to pull myself together. I swallowed and made a small hwaiting fist to myself. Just because I was infatuated with the dazzling man waiting to be served, didn’t mean I was going to scream or start sobbing. I was a professional, and besides that I had my dignity and intended to keep that- or what remained of it.

 

Mustering the courage to stand, I got to my feet and smoothed my shirt before turning around to face Kris. He stared at me impatiently, expectantly.

 

I felt my face flush, “I-I-I’m s-sorry.” I stuttered with an apologetic bow. Hoping that he wouldn’t yell at me or call me anything nasty- I honestly didn’t think I’d be able to live with myself if I knew that he despised me. “I’ll get your order ready right away.” I said without daring to meet his eyes.

 

I heard a sigh as I busied myself with the bubble tea he ordered and cringed, chanting to myself to stay strong and to cry over it later.

 

“Second husband?” That velvet voice sounded, calling for my attention. Making me burn an even deeper shade of red.

 

I was quick to defend myself, “No.” I spat.

 

Omo, Lee Yunji what are you saying!?

 

I cleared my throat, “I mean yes. My idol husband, you’re my second idol husband.” I elaborated for him, hoping that I didn’t sound like a complete creep.

 

“What kind of wife doesn’t recognise her own husband?” Kris dryly replied, pointing out something that I didn’t really understand either.

 

“When did you change your hair?” I poured the chocolate milk tea into a large plastic cup, answering his question with another question.

 

“A month ago.”

 

I almost dropped the container of pearls in my hand at that. I regained my composure and mixed a handful of the sweet round balls into the cup before sealing it up using one of the machines.

 

I think he interpreted my silence correctly because of what he said asked next, “How could you not know that?” His tone was close to rude, but not quite there.

 

I grabbed a can of coke for him out of the fridge to my right and bit my tongue. With the bubble tea and a straw in my other hand I reluctantly faced him.

 

“I just didn’t.” I murmured, placing his order in front of him.

 

My behaviour must have been strange for him, because he scrutinised me for a bit. As if eyeing a troublesome child. I shifted awkwardly under his gaze and chewed on my lip.

 

“Well, uh, thanks.” He placed the right amount of money on the counter and gathered his drinks. He began to walk away from me, slipping his sunglasses and cap back on. Hiding his face from the world once again.

 

“Wa-wait! Because I inconvenienced you-” I called out a second too late as he left the building, not hearing me. “You don’t have to pay,” I finished my sentence dejectedly, staring at the $4.80 he had left.

 

I didn’t want to bore Kris with my explanation as to why I didn’t recognise him at first, but at that point I sort of regretted not giving him my reason.

 Just over a month ago my friends and I were playing a drinking game where whoever couldn’t properly recite a children’s song after drinking several shots would receive a punishment of the successful drinkers’ choice. Unfortunately for me, I slipped up on the last line of my recital while the other girls made no mistakes. Hence, I was punished by them.

Earlier that day, Hyejin had said that I needed to cut back on my internet usage and the amount of time I spent watching TV. Of course I scoffed at her and told her that she wasn’t my mother and that I could do whatever I wanted to do because I was living by myself. Sora, Minsuh and Jieun reprimanded me for being so rude and they were right to do so. I had been out of line- though in my defence I was pmsing at the time. To teach me a lesson, my unnie-deul decided that I was banned from the internet and from watching TV for a month.

I could have easily gone against this when I was alone, but because I would have expected them to keep up to their end of the bargain if they were being punished I did the same.

 

So I accomplished the impossible in the overflowing with technology city of Seoul, I lived without the internet or TV.

 

Kris must have dyed and cut his hair just after the ban was set in place, because the last memories I had of him were of a man with hair that Ken from Barbie would have envied. Because of his new hairstyle and my dying need for food and coffee, I didn’t recognise him at first.

 

I wasn’t too sure of what had happened during that one month but I knew one thing for certain, I had missed out on a lot.

 

I walked over to the front door and flipped the sign to ‘closed’ when my phone chirped its message tone.

 

New Message recieved from Hyejin-unnie

 

Yunji-ah you’ve done well. I hope you didn’t forget that your ban ended this morning~~

 

Kris Wu’s POV

 

There are some really weird people in this world. That’s all I could say when I left the little bubble tea café.

 

The girl serving there had been relatively small- somewhere in between skinny and curvy slim. She had long natural hair that had been clipped up into a bun and skin that was as pale as mine. She was pretty, the just above average kind of pretty. Kind of cute too, with big brown eyes and her short height of what must have been around a 160cms. It was a shame she was stupid though.

 

I didn’t have anything against stupid people, in fact I wasn’t a Class A student growing up either, I just didn’t find people with an inability to use their brain to be attractive. Maybe I was assuming too much, maybe she wasn’t actually stupid. I did have to take that into consideration after the way she acted when I asked her how she could not have known about my hair when she claimed to be a fan. I was taken aback by her reaction. To just lower her head and answer quietly as if she couldn’t bring herself to explain it was shocking. As was the fact that she didn’t try to get me to sign anything for her or give her any other sort of fan service.

 

I had removed my cap and sunglasses when I entered the café because I didn’t want to come off as an impolite bastard. I wouldn’t have done it if the establishment hadn’t been deserted and I believed that because she was working she would act professionally while dealing with me. But when I saw her gaping at me I jumped to the conclusion that she had recognised me and about to faint and proclaim her love for me right then and there. When really, she had probably just been staring at me because I was hot.

 

A small arrogant smirk tugged at the corners of my lips at the thought. I knew about the effect I had on women and though I tried to not let it go to my head all the time, I couldn’t deny the fact that it made me feel good about myself. But then that smirk was replaced with a grimace when I realized that I would’ve avoided the whole situation if I had just kept my mouth shut.

 

I groaned in frustration.

 

She’s probably selling her story of her encounter with me to some lowlife journalist right now. Kris you idiot!!

 

I really didn’t need that on top of everything else I was trying to deal with.

 

I trudged into the dorm, thankful that none of the manager-hyungs were back yet. I headed straight to Sehun who was sprawled out on a sofa, occupying the whole thing to himself while playing with his phone.

 

“Yah punk catch!” I lazily tossed his bubble tea and straw into the air. He caught both in one hand and a giant grin broke out onto his face.

 

“Thank you Hyung.” He cheesed. “Saranghae” He cheered, making a big heart over his head.

 

“Saranghae my ” I muttered, glaring at the maknae menacingly. I opened my coke and began chugging it down, enjoying the burn it left on my throat from drinking too much too fast.

 

“Where did you go?” Luhan questioned when I entered our shared bedroom.

 

“I got blackmailed into making a bubble tea run again.” I flopped onto my bed, splat like road kill.

 

Luhan snickered, “You really do spoil us Duizhang.”

 

“I know. You’re all the brats.” I huffed, my voice muffled by a mouthful of pillow. Without lifting my head I blindly d for Ace, my stuffed alpaca and son.

 

Luhan’s bed creaked as he got out of his lounging position, “Brats that love you.” He handed me Ace.

 

I rolled over onto my back and placed the toy on my stomach, watching my roommate as he rummaged through his side of the closet for something.

 

“Thanks.”

 

“No problem.” He replied, grabbing a sweater and pulling it over his head.

 

I took another sip of coke and closed my eyes, my mind wandering back to the weird girl at the counter.

 

Second husband?

 

We all knew that many of our fans regarded us as their boyfriends or husbands, but I had never had anyone tell me that I was second best to them before. It was strange and I didn’t know what to think of it. I wasn’t used to being a person’s second choice and I wasn’t too enthusiastic about it. I didn’t care about the girl in that bubble tea café and I knew I would probably never see her again, but if I did there were two things I wanted to ask her.

 

Who’s your first husband?

Why did I come second?

 


Writer's Notes:

Hey guys!
I don't know if I will be able to update tomorrow, but I will try my best. If there are any typos you know why that is...
I hope you all enjoyed this chapter ^^
Thanks for reading/subscribing/commenting/supporting/being awesome~~~

Lots of love,
exoexo,
HEARTACHES <3