Fifteen Crazy Things I've Imagined

[HIATUS] The Bubble Tea Café

 

Lee Yunji’s POV

 

I watched the hands on the clock twitch by. Elbows resting on the counter while my hands cupped my chin. I waited rather impatiently for closing time to roll around, excited to flip the sign on the door over to ‘closed’.

 

It had been a busy, hot day. Stickily hot. I had given on trying to stay hydrated on just bubble tea when I began to feel seriously sick. And chugging down gallons of water throughout the rest of the day hadn’t made me feel any better. Thirst had been a problem for everyone today, it was clear on their faces. Foreheads gleamed with a thin layer of sweat, lips were looking dried out and chapped, and cheeks had been flushed red. The sudden flash of heat that Seoul was experiencing with summer dawning upon us wasn’t greatly appreciate, despite it meaning business had been booming for me.

 

I wasn’t sweaty or icky myself, because the AC had been on full blast the whole day. So I didn’t feel particularly gross. I just knew how bad it had been out there, from the few times I had to step outside. But I was ridiculously tired.

 

When 8:30 finally arrived, I had to drag my deadbeat body to the door to lock it and unceremoniously flip the door-sign over.

 

I sighed knowing that the day wasn’t over for me yet, I had a whole heap of paperwork propped up on my desk in the back that needed to be sorted through. If I put if off any longer, I would never get through it before my next deadline- which I couldn’t afford to let happen.

 

Holding a grudge against the reality of life, I trudged over to my desk and stared down the grotesquely large pile. I sat down and gave myself a small hwaiting fist.

 

“You’re going to finish this all tonight Lee Yunji,” I nodded to myself.

 

I pulled a slim bundle of documents away from the top of the pile to start with and nearly banged my head against the desk when I realized that the dates went as far back as this time last year. My self-inflicted title from my high school days as The World’s Worst Procrastinator coming back to haunt me now made me want to burn the whole pile.

 

But I didn’t burn anything that night. At least nothing that I could see.

 

Kris Wu’s POV

 

“Why is it so hot?” Sehun cried from the couch. His hair was sticking to his forehead, damp with sweat. No shirt, just sweatpants.

 

“Global warming,” Chen dryly replied from the kitchen, sporting the same get up as the maknae.

 

We had just gotten back from recording one of the last songs for the album. It was late and the managers had abandoned us for the night with a 2 dozen Subway sandwiches- which had been chowed down pretty fast. They wanted to go out drinking and of course we couldn’t join them out in the open. So we were all on house arrest.

 

The dorm was like a gym class full of skins and shirts. You had those like me who were somehow managing to survive still fully clothed, and then you had those like Chen and Sehun whose clothes had vanished as soon as the managers had left.  

 

“We’re out of ice!” Kyungsoo sulked, coming out of the kitchen with a glass of water. Grunts and groans were made in response, but it wasn’t made into a huge deal. No one had the energy to throw a fit.

 

Tao snailed his way over to me by the window, resting his head against the arm of my chair. His bags were darker than they had been when we originally debuted. We all knew why, but it didn’t mean we liked it. He needed to get more sleep.

 

We all did really.

 

“Will you buy me something?” he rasped.

 

I raised a questioning eyebrow. “What do you want me to buy for you?”

 

“A new jacket,” he answered while pulling out his phone.

 

“A jacket? How can you be fantasizing over a new jacket in this heat?” I chuckled in disbelief.

 

“Just look at it,” he handed me his phone. On the screen was an image of a model with a black coat draped over his shoulders. It was made of a winter fabric that promised warmth, and was tailored so that it was a snug fit. Admittedly, it was a nice coat.

 

“That isn’t a jacket,” I pointed out, glancing down at the panda. “Why do you want to buy a new coat now? You won’t be able to wear it until December.”

 

“Because I’ll look good in it,” he said, “and it’s really cheap!”

 

My gaze migrated from the picture to the description box before my eyes popped out their sockets.

 

It was not cheap. In fact, it was anything but cheap.

 

“This is freaking Gucci,” I spat.

 

“Of course it’s Gucci,” Tao scoffed. “What other label would make something so perfect?”

 

I put his phone down and massaged my temples. “You’re crazy if you think I’m spending that much on a coat.”

 

“But it’s not just any coat! And it’s not for you anyway,” he protested.

 

I facepalmed myself. “Exactly Tao. It’s not even for me, so why would I spend that much money?” I asked.

 

“Because you love me?” He feebly offered, earning a snort from me. “Come on Gege. Please buy it for me,” he tugged on my arm.

 

“No,” I shook my head.

 

“Please.”

 

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath in. “Do I look like I’m made of money?”

 

“Yes,” was the response I received without any hesitation. It was amusing really, listening to him trying to coax me into buying him something. If not for the price the coat was listed for, I would have bought it for him without any questions asked.

 

“Go ask Suho instead,” I patted his head as if he were a puppy.

 

“But he’ll say ‘no’.”

 

“Yeah, because he’s not crazy either.”

 

“You’re really not going to buy it for me?” He gave me his best pout, hands clasped together pleadingly. He was being really persistent today.

 

“Why can’t you buy it yourself?” I asked.

 

He stiffened briefly and look down at the ground. “I might have already ordered some other things…” he trailed off guiltily.

 

I rolled my eyes. “Like?”

 

He mumbled something that I couldn’t quite make out and folded his arms across his chest. Not seeing the point in trying to discover exactly what my friend had blown all his money on, I got up from my seat and patted his head once more as I walked away.

 

“Maybe next time.”

 

I made my way to my bedroom and to my surprise, found it empty. No roommate in sight.

 

He must be hanging out with the others right now.

 

I shrugged and collapsed on top of my bed with a thump. I didn’t want to do anything, but at the same time I didn’t want to waste time. There was a part of me that wanted to get something done, and another that just wanted to lie down and stare at the ceiling for hours.

 

It was 10:30. Tomorrow’s schedule started at 9. It would have made sense for me to shower and go to sleep.

 

But of course, being the genius I am, I decided to do what I always seemed to do nowadays when I was bored. I texted Yunji.

 

Hey.

 

I had this new habit, of aimlessly texting her. Sometimes it was easier just texting her than talking to anyone else in real life, and to be perfectly honest, it was fun.

 

New Message received from Lee Yunji.

 

Hey stranger.

 

I smiled at how fast she always replied.

 

How’s life?

 

I hadn’t been able to make a trip out to the café for a while.

 

Okay I guess? I’m still at the café right now, so I’m not going to sleep any time soon >o< How’s everything going over where you’re at?

 

I made a face.

 

Same old, same old. Nothing to exciting worth mentioning at the moment. Why are you still at work so late?

 

Before she could reply, a thought entered my head.

 

Can I come over?

 

So instead of answering my original question, she came back with a question of her own.

 

Right now?

 

I kind of already knew what her answer to my request would be, so I grabbed the things necessary to stay somewhat disguised before texting her back.

 

Yeah.

 

I pulled out a pair of sneakers from underneath my bed and peered out into the hallway to check that the coast was clear.

 

Sure.

 

As soon as I saw that message, I hurried to the fire escape window and slinked into the night. Outside it was only slightly cooler than the dorm, but there was a light breeze to make up for it. I clambered down the steps as quietly as possible, only realizing how far we lived from the ground floor after I got half way down. I hadn’t ever needed to sneak out this way before.

 

When I finally reached the ground level I was glad that the café wasn’t far from the dorm. I merged in easily with the crowds of people walking along the pathway. No one seemed to take notice of me, I wasn’t wearing anything flashy and I had made sure that it wasn’t easy to see my face with the hoodie I wore. I was hot, but not too the extent of discomfort- yet.

 

It was funny to think that at this time in Canada, the cities wouldn’t be nearly as populated as they were here.

 

I could see that the lights were still on through the frosted glass as I approached the small café on the corner of the block. I really was curious to know why she was still out so late. Usually she would have gone home straight after closing time. Moreover, what would we talk about tonight? How long would we talk for tonight?

 

The door was unlocked to my surprise, and the café was so cool compared to outside. The difference in temperature momentarily gave me goose bumps. I removed my hoodie and placed it on the table of the booth closest to me as I walked up to the counter. She wasn’t anywhere in sight, so I assumed she was doing something in the back.

 

“Hello?” I called out as I reached the counter.

 

“Oh! Hey,” her voice sounded from the door where I suspected her to be.

 

“You really shouldn’t leave the door unlocked at night,” I frowned, “it isn’t safe.”

 

She appeared in the doorway. “I left it unlocked because I knew you were-” she stopped midsentence. Yunji’s eyes turned into large, round saucers and her face looked as if it had turned abnormally pale.

 

I furrowed my eyebrows, tilting my head to the side. I turned around in the direction of her gaze and froze up too.

 

It wasn’t a bunch of drunkards, it wasn’t an invasion of rats, and it wasn’t even a hoard of hobos that had entered the café. No. It was something much worse, for the both of us.

 

Standing at the entrance of the café, were 11 people that I knew I had been hoping to never see here.

 

Lee Yunji’s POV

 

I had imagined crazy things before, like lions and bunnies playing together in meadows in the middle of deserts. I had strange dreams before, like creating a blue cheese flavoured bubble tea. I had random thoughts at times, like ‘wouldn’t it be nice if the world was made of chocolate?’

 

But all of those things had remained in my head, where no one could see, touch, or hear them. Meeting EXO wasn’t something I had imagined, it was something I had chosen to not dream over because it was just too far out of reach- though many of the things I thought of were.

 

And yet, for some odd reason, the world must have wanted to throw me off track once again by putting me in an impossible scenario.

 

EXO was in my café. EXO was in Black Pearls.

 

Slowly, I managed to move my head to stare at Kris who too was gawking at the group of people standing in the room.

 

They were all dressed similarly to Kris, in inconspicuous get ups so that they could move around the city freely. They all looked exactly like how they did on the internet, on TV, in my room on my wall.

 

I couldn’t think properly.

 

“Ummm, hi,” Suho, who was standing at the front of the group along with Luhan waved awkwardly with a friendly smile.

 

Instead of being a normal person and smiling and waving back with a polite greeting, I stiffly waved my hand and being the special person that I was, retreated to my office where I had come from.

 

“Yah Lee Yunji!” Kris shouted.

 

I pressed my back against the wall beside the door, hands flat against it. My head was spinning with thoughts and I couldn’t understand any of them. My mind was a flurry of screams, mixed feelings, and confusion thicker than the dense air outside.

 

My breathing was fast-paced, and my heart was beating more than what could be considered safe.  

 

Okay, calm down. This is all just a dream. You probably just fell asleep at your desk while sifting through the paperwork. You’re now going to wake up and find that no one else but you is here. You’re going to wake up alone Yunji. You’re going to-

 

“Gahh!”

 

“Are you okay?” Kris’ face popped up dangerously close to mine.

 

He had creases in his forehead as he continued to stare at me. I flinched and averted my gaze down to my shoes. “Are those people really there?” I asked.

 

“Yeah…” he didn’t sound particularly happy about it.

 

“Really?” I peered up at him, hoping that maybe he was going to crack up and tell me that he was just messing with me.

 

He sighed and walked over to the door. “Are you guys really there?”

 

I nearly choked on air as he did that, glaring at him. “Yes,” a chorus of voices replied.

 

Kris glanced back at me and nodded.

 

I closed my eyes and felt my hands curl into small, tight fists. “I’m going crazy,” I muttered.

 

“I know,” he said, making me bite my lip in irritation. “So what do you want to do?”

 

I ran a hand through my hair and my lips nervously. Taking small steps, I slowly walked past him. “Say hi I guess,” I mumbled.

 

“Hwaiting,” he murmured lowly back following me out.

 

They were all closer now, no longer by the door but in front of the counter. It was safe to say that I was the shortest person in the room.

 

I cleared my throat and pursed my lips. “Sorry about that,” I started, “welcome to Black Pearls.” I greeted them all with a bow, feeling overly self-conscious.

 

When all I got was silence, I straightened up and felt my cheeks redden. They were all staring at me, analysing me.

 

“You guys could at least say ‘hi’ you know?” Kris grumbled from behind me.

 

“Oh! Right,” Lay fumbled around.

 

“1, 2, 3. We are one! We are EXO!” The 11 guys lit up.

 

I didn’t exactly know how I was supposed to react to their introduction. Was everything being filmed? Were we all on some new variety show? It was just so…unnatural. Fans and idols were just never meant to meet under the circumstances we had found ourselves in.

 

I heard Kris mutter something incoherent underneath his breath before he stepped in front of me, a large hand covering his face.

 

“What are you guys doing here?” He hissed.

 

It was around this point I suppose, that I realized Kris was just as shocked as I was to see them all.

 

In a wave, they all shuffled around on the spot. Some looked up at the ceiling, others at the walls. It seemed that no one was truly prepared to explain anything to anyone.

 

And like a young child tattling on his playmate in kindergarten, Sehun bounced out of place. “It was all Luhan-hyung’s idea!”

 

The said hyung in question glowered, instantly transforming into a man with a menacing face. The polar opposite of his usual, innocent boy image. It was frightening, but at the same time sort of entertaining. “If we weren’t out in public, you would have bald patch right over…” Luhan lifted his hand elegantly to rest on the side of Sehun’s head “here.”

 

He’s not that innocent is he?

 

The question of who the members of EXO really were began to swim around in my head. If Luhan acted like this, then what about the others? Was what Kris showed me really him? Or was that a mask in itself? I had always liked to have believed I was seeing the real person, but now I was beginning to question it all.

 

“What’s going on Lu?”

 

Luhan stepped away from Sehun and stuffed his hands into the pockets of his baggy pants. “The others and I saw you creep out of the dorm in your so called ‘ninja style’,” he made little air quotations, “and I thought it was kind of strange for you to be going out so late. You know? Just kind of.”

 

I didn’t know exactly what was going on, but I felt a chill run down my spine as I continued to watch whatever was happening unfold before me. Kris’ lips were set in a straight tight line. I could tell he didn’t like what was happening right now. I could tell that he probably never wanted anyone to find out that he came here.

 

“So I suggested that we all follow you and see where we end up. I thought it would be fun,” he shrugged nonchalantly.

 

Most of all, I could tell that Luhan knew more than he was letting on.

 

Before the room could absorb any more of the intense vibes the two good looking males were sending each other, someone else spoke up.

 

“Who are you?” Kyungsoo’s big eyes locked with mine.

 

My throat closed up again and my mouth turned dry. Even though I should have been ecstatic that I was in the presence of one of my favourite idol groups, I couldn’t bring myself to be. I was dazed, confused, and nervous- really nervous.

 

“Lee Yunji,” I softly replied, each syllable pronounced spaced out from the next.

 

“Hyung, she isn’t going to faint is she?” he turned to Kris.

 

“Are you going to faint?” Kris poked my cheek. My body went haywire and the air conditioning must have stopped suddenly because my temperature skyrocketed.

 

It must have really shown on my face as I shook my head vigorously, because I turned into a rag doll when one of his large hands with long fingers curled around my wrist. “I think we should all sit down.”

 

Kris’s POV

 

This is just so…ugh.

 

We had somehow all managed to squeeze into one of the booths in the café. Tightly packed together like canned sardines. To make matters worse my amazing ‘friends’ had kidnapped Yunji, placing her in between Chanyeol and Sehun. Sure we were sitting right across from each other, but her face was still white like paper and her eyes hadn’t left the surface of the table as soon as we had sat down.

 

I felt really bad for her. It was my fault we were in this awkward situation now. It was my fault she had turned mute. I wanted to turn back time to when I was bored and sprawled out on my bed. I wanted to go back in time to stop myself from carelessly coming out to visit her tonight. However, I knew none of that was possible. And even if it was, my power was flight, not time travel.

 

Did Lu know I was coming here? Maybe. Was it okay for him to follow me? No. Was it okay for me to be doing what I was doing? Not necessarily. Did any of it matter now?

 

“Are you okay?” Baekhyun asked Yunji, handling her like glass. Fragile, breakable, unstable.

 

Her eyes flickered up to meet his and she nodded meekly with a polite smile.

 

What are we even doing here? We should all just leave.

 

“So…” Kai hummed, “you work here?” Kai drummed his hands against the table.

 

No kidding.

 

She cautiously lifted her head and straightened her back, sitting up properly. It was as if she was pulling herself together, which I had anticipated to happen any time soon.

 

“Yes,” she said with a little more volume than before.

 

“Are you the one that Hyung has been buying bubble tea from?” Sehun asked the one million dollar question.

 

Her cheeks were on fire again. “I guess so?” The rest of the gang looked at me for confirmation. I reluctantly nodded, solving the magical mystery of life for them all.

 

I kind of wished I hadn’t though, because things escalated quickly from there.

 

“Omo! Jongmal?” Sehun whizzed, looking far too excited.

 

Before I knew it, Sehun was clutching at one of Yunji’s skinny arms as if they had been friends for years.

 

“Can you make me some?”

 

“Yah,” my voice came out in a warning tone. I wanted to flick him off of her.

 

But of course I was ignored, as he used his super aegyo powers on the unsuspecting girl in front of me. She was stunned.

 

“U-u-uh, okay.”

 

The brightest, most sickly sweet grin broke out onto the punk’s face with her reply. It was the most nauseating thing in the universe. Or at least it was for me, because Yunji seemed to find it absolutely adorable.

 

“Thank you Noona.”

 


 

 

Bubble tea was the ice breaker. After Yunji was released from the confinements of the booth, the rest of our group followed Sehun and dazzled Yunji with smiles that would make any girl swoon just so she would make bubble tea for them too. Even Suho suddenly wanted some.

 

It irked the hell out of me for some strange reason. Maybe it was because Yunji had been a secret of mine before. I had always had her undivided attention. Now, I was sharing her with 11 other people.

 

I took another sip from my can of coke, and watched as the once petrified Lee Yunji answered every question thrown at her with ease.

 

“How old are you Yunji-ssi?” Xiumin clucked.

 

“23.”

 

“Who are you to Kris-ge?” Tao asked.

 

She looked at me before answering, her eyes flitting over me briefly. The first time she paid any attention to me in a while. “We’re friends.”

 

I wanted to pull her over to my side of the table next to me and emphasize to everyone that she was my friend, not theirs.

 

“How long have you two known each other?” Suho whispered into my ear as the others continued to chat happily together.

 

“A little over a month now,” I answered with a straight face. My eyes couldn’t leave the girl with long, pretty hair.

 

He let out a long breath. “That long?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“She’s a fan?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“And she hasn’t leaked anything, to anyone?” He clasped his hands together on his lap. “Wow.”

 

“She isn’t a sasaeng.”

 

“I can see that. I just thought…” he trailed off, “well you know, it’s kind of different…”

 

“She’s different,” I nodded. “You know after I visited this place for the first time, I asked her why she didn’t act like our other fans. Screaming, crying, bombarding me with questions,” I smiled at the memory. “Do you know what she said?”

 

“What? I like you too much to do that to you Oppa?” He failed at trying to sound like a girl.

 

“Nothing like that,” I shook my head, “she said ‘most of your fans are hormonal teenage girls’.”

 

That earned a low chuckle from my partner in crime. “I like that.”

 

“Me too.”

 

“So is Kris you’re favourite member?” my ears perked up at the mention of my name. I turned my head in the direction of the voice to find Luhan waiting expectantly for an answer. My head snapped back and forth between him and Yunji. was shaped in a small ‘o’.

 

I knew the answer to her question. She didn’t have to say anything for me to already know. I found out that for myself the first time we met.

 

Flustered, she looked down at her lap.

 

“Aww, Hyung you’re embarrassing her,” Chanyeol whined.

 

“What? I’m not allowed to ask a simple question?” He faked innocence.

 

I was about to speak up, when Yunji mustered the courage to answer.

 

“He is,” she nodded, avoiding my gaze.

 

“What about me? Where do I rank on your favourites list?” A playful smirk appeared on the deer’s lips. “Do you perhaps…secretly…like me more than Kris?”

 

I don’t know why I said what I said so promptly before she could answer his question. “I’m her second husband!” I blurted.

 

Yunji’s jaw might as well have hit the ground with how far it dropped. Now I had her eyes on me.

 

“Sorry Lu,” I cheesed “but for once you’re not the favourite.”

 

A round of snickers broke out around the table from all the guys as Luhan narrowed his eyes at me. It was out of character for me to do something so bold. Even I was surprised. I felt quite smug about it, knowing I had beaten all of them at winning her fangirl affection.

 

Though at the same time, I felt a stab of guilt for further embarrassing her as she began glaring at me.

 

Yunji actually looked… kind of pissed off.

 

“Don’t feel too bad about it Gege,” Tao mockingly patted Luhan’s back.

 

“Yeah. Kris has an unfair advantage,” Xiumin added.

 

“I wonder who else Yunji-noona likes,” Kai confidently smiled his winner smile. It was as if the guy thought she must worship the ground he walks on in her spare time. Sometimes his ego swelled up to a size comparable with that of the neighbouring countries of South Korea.

 

“Do you like anyone else?” Sehun lowered his head to look at Yunji properly, who retracted as far back as she could manage in her seat.

 

“I feel like I’m getting interrogated,” she squeaked.

 

I pursed my lips and broke my foot back, ready to inconspicuously kick Sehun under the table. But the guys just had to start playing the guessing game.

 

“Do you like Kyungsoo?” Chen chirped.

 

Baekhyun shook his head in protest. “No, she obviously likes me.”

 

“You’re the ugliest,” Kyungsoo chortled.

 

“Ladies, you’re both pretty. But let’s face it, she likes Kai,” Chanyeol raised his hands in an attempt to calm everyone down.

 

She doesn’t like any of you buffoons.

 

Sehun choked on his drink and began cackling like a hyena, wiping Kai’s smile off of his face. “Do you want to enlighten us as to why that’s so funny Sehun-ah?” He gritted his teeth.

 

Wheezing, Sehun waved his hand for the conversation to continue.

 

“What about Suho-hyung?” Lay joined in the fun.

 

We both turned towards each other, Suho and I, and I must have had something funny on my face because he quickly shook his head. “I don’t think it’s me,” he laughed heartily, “what about our handsome Park Chanyeol?”

 

Yunji and I both gave it away when my head snapped in the Happy Virus’ direction and when her face drained of colour. I had forgotten that she also liked him.

 

“Omo! She likes him too!” Lay exclaimed.

 

Chanyeol looked pleased to hear it as he looked down at her. That annoying, goofy smile taking over his whole entire face. Despite him being the original one to scold the others for embarrassing her with such a sensitive topic, he was more than up for it now.

 

“Do you?” His low voice charmingly flowed.

 

Now I really hated that Yunji wasn’t sitting next to me.

 

Yunji’s face said it all. There was no need for words.

 

“I think we need a change of sub-”

 

I was ‘kindly’ interrupted by my roommate.

 

“Is he on your husband list?” Luhan asked.

 

Don’t go there.

 

Yunji was tomato red. She looked like she wanted to scramble into the nearest hole available. I was ready to get up and announce that we had overstayed our welcome for the night, when she lifted a trembling hand with three fingers held up.

 

Maybe she felt obligated to answer all of their questions, just like how she always did with me too.

 

“He comes right after Kris?” Suho mused, probably inwardly praising himself and his brilliant guessing skills.

 

“Really?” Chanyeol slung an arm around Yunji’s shoulders. “I like you too.”

 

That did it.

 

“Can you guys cut it out?” I cracked, making the room fall silent. I gathered everyone’s attention quickly, including hers. “Seriously, what is up with all of you?” I ran a frustrated hand through my hair. “Are you comfortable with all of this?” I asked Yunji, ignoring the confused faces of the others.

 

“It’s okay. I don’t mind-”

 

“You don’t need to be polite about it Yunji,” I cut her off, “you don’t have to tolerate all of…” I stopped to wave my hands around, “whatever this thing is.”

 

Those round eyes softened. “Kris don’t worry about-”

 

“Don’t tell me not to worry about it,” I shook my head, “don’t.”

 

I was on the verge of insanity that night.

And the thing was, it took me a while longer than it should have to realize exactly why. 

 


Writer's Notes:

I don't even know if this chapter makes any sense. Sorry guys, I quickly typed this up before heading off to watch my sister's prize giving.
Any way, let's clarify a few things first! Chanyeol doesn't actually like like Yunji. Luhan is not evil, he was just stiring up some trouble for the fun of it. And yes, the next chapter is going to be of what happens after where I've cut if off- I won't leave it at this.
Thanks for reading/subscribing/commenting/upvoting/supporting/being awesome ^^
I'm looking forward to writing more now that I'm on summer break.

Lots of love,
xoxoxo,
HEARTACHES <3