10

Guardian of Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I was definitely out of sorts or something, because I could have sworn I was meeting my death for the 10th time... and the same way I nearly died the first. I never do really learn. Actually, in the moment of silence between Leo and me, I started to recall what Inguk said to be about 10 minutes ago.

"Don't take the bike you idiot! The brake cable still isn't fixed yet!" he said faintly in the distance. It was too late by then. Even if he tried to save me from my "self-inflicted" impending doom, he wouldn't have been able to. The bike was moving too fast for him to even catch up. Plus he was half as I recall.

In the midst of my thought process, Leo waved his hand in front of my face. I must have been day dreaming for quite some time, Leo is generally patient.

"H..hi," I sputtered out, I didn't know what to say to him. Because first of all, as far as I was concerned, I was the only time traveller in this town. Second, what is he doing here?

"Hey" he calmly greeted back, smiling sweetly. "How are you?"

"Well, other than the fact that I nearly died, I'm pretty swell. Um, how are you?" I replied sarcastically, then genuinely. He was... strangely placid for someone who was able to stop time.

"Reassured and better now that I'm both aware of who took my locket and aware of your safety," he brought me into a tight embrace, "it was you all along."

"Huh..?" I was confused, of course. But then I realized exactly what he was talking about.

 

One day in the chemistry room, I had been experimenting by myself for recreational purposes. I had always been interested in labs and whatnot, but never had the time to experiment due to my busy schedule. So when I was free, I always stayed after school to play around in order to pass time before Leo's matches started. As I was gathering my lab equipment to clean up, I noticed something shining on the floor. I had always been told to leave things as they were just in case someone came back for their belongings, but it was just... so intriguing. The fact that the sun shining upon it didn't help much either. I picked it up and realized that it was a silver encrusted locket. I opened the locket and the only thing inside was "時は誰も待たない." I hadn't taken Japanese as a language, so I had a hard time figuring out what it meant. I stuffed it in my pocket and before I knew it, it was time for Leo's game. I wasn't aware that time had passed by so quickly at the time, I never really thought anything of it. I put my lab equipment away and walked out of the door. I ran into a profusely perspiring Leo who looked like he was in a rush. Anyone could tell he was frustrated, he was running in and out of various classrooms frantically. I asked him if he needed any assistance and he merely shook his head.

"What time is it?" he shouted from inside the chemistry classroom. I shouted the time back to him and he muttered, "."

Before I knew it, he ran outside the classroom and started jogging toward the soccer fields. It was the first time Leo looked so afraid in his life. I felt bad, truly. But he didn't ask for my assistance and merely rejected it when I offered. I slowly trailed his steps and made it to the scorching bleachers where Kai had been waiting for me.

"Is there something wrong with Leo?" I asked, Kai merely shrugged his shoulders. Of course he wouldn't know, Leo literally just got back out here. They lost their game that day. I never figured out why.

 

"Oh" I said under my breath, "right... are you looking for this?" I took the locket out from undernearth my shirt and lifted it over my head. I handed it to Leo and he nodded his head. "You.. were looking for this the entire time, weren't you?"

He nodded his head again.

As he took back his locket, I noticed that the lines on my wrist were slowly starting to fade away.

"...Why didn't you tell me?" I was concerned for the potential consequences that may come out of this. Mostly the consequences for Leo.

"Well, I didn't want to assume that you had it, and plus I never wanted anyone to figure out," he answered, "plus, I presumed it was in safe hands since nothing bad actually happened in the time in which you held onto it." Leo opened the locket only to find that it was deteriorating from the inside and slowly out.

"What does that say?" I asked out of pure curiosity, "I... never figured out what it meant."

Leo smiled, "Time waits for no one."

"Ah" I opened my mouth and nodded my head. "I'm really sorry. I should have just left it where it was and even offered it to you before you played your game that day, you were so concerned and it was probably all my fault and--"

Leo wrapped his arms around my lower back, bent ove

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter