Chapter 4.0

"IF"

CHAPTER 4.0

 

 

          Ever since that day, we’ve become inseparable. We were always together during breaks and club meetings, until the last ring of the school bell forces us to break apart and go home for the day. Nothing made me happier than going to school every day. –we weren’t OFFICIALLY GOING OUT though. I haven’t told her about my feelings yet, because I was planning to make it a memorable one. So yeah, I repressed my feelings for a whole month and planned out some exciting way of confessing to her. Then, it came—the 30th day, since that time; I was ready, at last.

 

          Everything was well-planned. From my dialogue, to the props, to the desserts and to the couple rings, I especially designed for us; the last thing I needed to make that “carefully-planned” special day a success was a single flower. So, before the club meetings started that day, I asked my best friend, Jonghyun, to come with me to the floral shop to buy a fresh one.

 

          The gentle atmosphere, the perfect landscape of flowers, the sweet scent that attracted us, even though we’re still meters away—that was what filled the small floral shop we found just a few steps from our school campus. As we stepped inside the shop, I felt like I was in Eden, because of how many varieties of flowers there were. But even though I could buy a whole bouquet of varied blossoms, I preferred to buy just a single stalk of a flower called the star flower. –yes, the name says it all; it’s a flower with petals shaped like that of a star. Whenever I saw those flowers, it kind of reminded me of her—well, almost everything related to the word “star” did; because ever since I saw her that summer night, she had always been the star that scintillated the brightest for me.

 

          I was heading to the counter, about to pay for the flower, when Jonghyun suddenly called my name. He was right behind me, tugging at my shirt trying to gain my attention. I turned my head to look at him; he was staring at the bundle of red roses just beside us.

 

          “Jinki,” he called me again, but this time, he lowered his voice and was more serious.

 

          “Hmm?”

 

          “I… I think I like someone.”

 

          I was surprised by his sudden confession. But I managed to smile back at him, “What?” I chuckled, “Who’s that lucky girl who has captured the prince’s heart?”

 

          He was silent for a while and didn’t answer back right away.

 

          “I-I’m your best friend, right?” He stammered.

 

          “Yes, of course.” I curved my lips to form a smile; but inside, I was starting to get confused.

 

          “Thanks for buying, sir. Happy to serve,” I handed the flower to the cashier and she started typing something on her monitor, before she began wrapping the flower with a pink ribbon.

 

          “Then, you’ll listen to me, right? You’ll listen to what I’m gonna say and support me, right?” Jonghyun continued.

 

          “Ugh, yeah. Sure.” His words started to sound suspicious.

 

          “You said you would do anything for your best friend, right? Just like how I did things for you in the past, right? You love me, ri—”

 

          I cut him off and frowned a little, “What’s up with you? Why are you saying all these?”

 

          “I have been patient thus far. But now, I can no longer hold it in.”

 

          “Excuse me, sir. Here’s the flower,” the cashier happily handed me the star flower, and I forced a smile on my face to thank her.

 

          “I…” Jonghyun straightforwardly said, I’m in love with Gwiboon.

 

          There was silence for a moment back there. I felt my body going numb. My lips were quivering; my whole body was trembling; and the flower I was holding was threatening to slip down from my grasp.

 

          “You’ll help me, right? You’ll help me get together with her, right? You said you’d do anything for me… and this time, I really need my best friend to help me.”

 

          My eyes widened and my mouth gaped open. Oh yeah, I forgot. I’ve never told him anything about us. So, he didn’t know how bad his timing was—or did he?—no, he couldn't have. That moment was one of my worst ones. I was forced to choose between two roads—towards the friend I love or the girl I’ve fallen with. How nostalgic. I thought situations like these only exist in movies and mushy love stories. I’ve never imagined myself running into something as tragic as this. –but, seriously, what should I choose?

 

          I closed my eyes and let out a long hard sigh. Even though I didn’t want to, I’ve decided. I turned around to face him. I forced my lips to curve upwards, before I told him in the happiest tone I could make,

 

          “Yes. Of course, I would help you. After all, you ARE the most important person in my life.”

 

          I didn’t lie, when I said that. Only half-lied. Because at that time, I, myself, knew—that he wasn’t the ONLY special person in my life anymore. But despite knowing that, I still chose. I must be a fool.

 

          Slowly, the flower I was holding slipped out of my grasp. I witnessed how it slowly fell and hit the floor; how its petals broke off and scattered around my shoes; how it shattered like a piece of fallen glass—just like my heart at that time.

--

A/N: As promised, here's the second part. Actually, chapters 3.0 and 4.0 were supposed to be just one chapter, but I decided to split it into two. Just because. :) LOL.